Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,2,3,4 TB drives?

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2014 17:26 |  #106

Note that single disks are almost for free now. 3TB or 4TB disks are very affordable. It's only an issue if someone invests money in a hardware box with room for a lot of disks on pure speculation that any real money gets locked up on pure speculation.

This is about a user who have a single 1TB disk getting full. So not about buying an 8-disk NAS preparing for 8*4 = 32TB of spinning platters just in case, but a question of considering a 3TB or 4TB disk instead of just a 2TB disk. If having extra space for the main storage and any backup disks, it's possible to store multiple edits or maybe an extra full copy of a laptop or similar without worrying that the everyday tasks suddenly are hampered by the lack of space. In the end, most people do see an exponential growth in storage needs, even if the coefficient might be different and the needs at this very moment might start from a lower value.

Having extra disk space is like having extra batteries or extra memory cards - it's no fun to run out at the wrong time.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 14, 2014 19:30 |  #107

"Buy as much storage as you can afford."

This is a subjective statement that applies differently to every person and only that person can determine its meaning. That is why the suggestion is so fitting.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 14, 2014 20:28 |  #108

Daphatty wrote in post #16606104 (external link)
"Buy as much storage as you can afford."

This is a subjective statement that applies differently to every person and only that person can determine its meaning. That is why the suggestion is so fitting.

And makes absolutely no sense if you happen to be able to afford far more than you need. I know that one of my aunts could easily afford to have me set her up with a petabyte NAS array... However the last time she had me check her 16GB tablet for her she had barely used 500MB of user data space.

Seriously, why so much opposition to the suggestion that someone sit down and look at what They are actually doing, their own trends and habits, and evaluate their actual needs? Or should we be discouraging people from actually Thinking before buying consumer goods?

Maybe I missed the sections detailing how long it has taken them to fill that 1TB drive so far, and the long bit about their workflow. I don't know it, so I can't really make hard and fast suggestions.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2014 20:54 |  #109

Luckless wrote in post #16606245 (external link)
And makes absolutely no sense if you happen to be able to afford far more than you need. I know that one of my aunts could easily afford to have me set her up with a petabyte NAS array... However the last time she had me check her 16GB tablet for her she had barely used 500MB of user data space.

Seriously, why so much opposition to the suggestion that someone sit down and look at what They are actually doing, their own trends and habits, and evaluate their actual needs? Or should we be discouraging people from actually Thinking before buying consumer goods?

Maybe I missed the sections detailing how long it has taken them to fill that 1TB drive so far, and the long bit about their workflow. I don't know it, so I can't really make hard and fast suggestions.

But then this thread isn't filled with any recommendations to buy as much as the OP can afford. There is a huge difference between buying as much disk space as anyone can afford, and to make sure that there are a bit of safety margin on a single-disk storage storage by maybe going for $50-$70 more expensive disks. But extrapolation is a popular hobby on the net.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
1,2,3,4 TB drives?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.