Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2014 (Friday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Camera flash cord recommendation

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2014 15:58 |  #1

Hello everyone. I need to get a new flash cord for my wildlife rig (see below). I currently use the Flash Zebra 3' coil cord (Item #01223), but I think it's on it's way out. Yesterday (noticed in the past, too), the flash would just shut off without warning even though I had freshly charged batteries installed, I got some weird flash patterns (see explanation below) and the kicker is the flash fell off the shoe 4x that day alone, even though it was lock in properly. Fortunately, the battery pack cord kept the flash from hitting the ground. I no longer trust this flash cord. My other flash cord (JJC FC-E3 16' cord that I purchased years ago for off camera flash photography) does not exhibit these problems, nor does the flash exhibit this when mounted to the camera hot shoe, so that puts the issue square on the Flash Zebra cord. I shot over 500 shots today with the JJC cord and not one issue.

Also, I reviewed the exif data on some images I ran some test (see images below) with using the flash zebra cord and the exif shows the flash did not fire (2nd image), when in fact the flash fired because I saw it fire, but you can see a small band of flash in the shot at the top of the image (2nd image). It's seems there are some communication issues. (note: exif intact)

So, can someone recommend a quality flash cord (3')? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...Al

Wildlife setup:

5D3
500 f4
580 EX2
BB Flash Extender
JoBu flash bracket
Battery pack

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2014 16:03 |  #2

Cut the cord and go wireless. YN622c. Barring that the YN branded OC cord is just as well made as the canon. I have them both and cant tell any difference other than the markings.

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2014 20:18 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #16594880 (external link)
Cut the cord and go wireless...

I've thought about this. What setup do you recommend? I have the YN 602s, but you can't lock a flash to them. I damaged a flash years ago that way.

Thanks...Al

Gear
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 10, 2014 20:37 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #4

Both the YN 622 and 603 now have locks unlike the older 602 model.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2014 20:38 |  #5

Methodical wrote in post #16595427 (external link)
I've thought about this. What setup do you recommend? I have the YN 602s, but you can't lock a flash to them. I damaged a flash years ago that way.

Thanks...Al

It's right there...

gonzogolf wrote in post #16594880 (external link)
Cut the cord and go wireless. YN622c. Barring that the YN branded OC cord is just as well made as the canon. I have them both and cant tell any difference other than the markings.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2014 20:48 |  #6

Methodical wrote in post #16595427 (external link)

Thanks...Al

Yn622c. Full ETTL just like your cord.

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2014 20:58 |  #7

Are these YN622c pretty rugged and can hold the 580 ex II while on the go. Remember, they will not be sitting on a light stand or indoors doing studio type shots. I will have the flash mounted to a flash bracket, or gimbal head and constantly moving about with the 500 f4 lens, so it will be vibrating etc.

Questions

1. Will I need to get 2 of these or is the shoe different than the trigger.
2. Where can I get these?
3. Can I control the flash settings from the camera menu with this unit? I'd like to make changes from the camera menu instead of the flash itself.
4. Will it mount on the flash bracket, so that I can mount the speedlight like below? I read where it does not have 1/4-20 thread.

I'm checking some of the reviews and videos now.

Thanks...Al

IMAGE: http://www.methodicalimages.com/img/s4/v9/p116901477-4.jpg

Gear
Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2014 22:01 |  #8

Methodical wrote in post #16595501 (external link)
Are these YN622c pretty rugged and can hold the 580 ex II while on the go. Remember, they will not be sitting on a light stand or indoors doing studio type shots. I will have the flash mounted to a flash bracket, or gimbal head and constantly moving about with the 500 f4 lens, so it will be vibrating etc.

Questions

1. Will I need to get 2 of these or is the shoe different than the trigger.
2. Where can I get these?
3. Can I control the flash settings from the camera menu with this unit? I'd like to make changes from the camera menu instead of the flash itself.
4. Will it mount on the flash bracket, so that I can mount the speedlight like below? I read where it does not have 1/4-20 thread.

I'm checking some of the reviews and videos now.

Thanks...Al

QUOTED IMAGE

1 yes. 2 transceivers
2 amazon
3 yes
4 you might need to add a cold shoe to the bracket if it doesn't have one. Manfrotto makes one

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 11, 2014 11:03 |  #9

Thanks. Do you think the YN setp would be rugged enough to withstand constant moving, bumping etc. with this setup?

Al

Gear
Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 11, 2014 13:06 |  #10

Methodical wrote in post #16596692 (external link)
Thanks. Do you think the YN setp would be rugged enough to withstand constant moving, bumping etc. with this setup?

Al

As rugged as any of the chords I've used. How either holds up is all about the flash/chord - chord/hot shoe connection. IMO

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 11, 2014 13:15 |  #11

windpig wrote in post #16596937 (external link)
As rugged as any of the chords I've used. How either holds up is all about the flash/chord - chord/hot shoe connection. IMO

I'd like to give wireless a go for this set up, so which hot shoe do you use on a flash bracket? I tried one I have, but it doesn't fit on the Jobu flash bracket (i.e in between the book end type thingy) Btw, I have the PW TT wireless units, but don't want to use it for this type of setup - too much of a costly risk. Plus, I like the focus light on the YN, which would have other uses.

Thanks...Al

Gear
Flickr (external link)

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 11, 2014 13:23 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #12

As much as I Love the YN622's, personally I think you'd be much better off with a short ETTL cord for your on/off camera bracket setup, You'll be over complicating things with the likes of batteries etc....?

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 11, 2014 20:34 |  #13

hbomb, it's ironic you mention this because I was thinking the same thing. I'd have to worry about batteries and such and getting a hot shoe that works with the flash bracket, so I've decided to go with the JJC flash cord - no worries about batteries and one small cord to store.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input.

Al

Gear
Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 11, 2014 20:49 |  #14

I would be sure and have an extra chord. I think for your application I'd be going with the chord also.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,842 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 11, 2014 20:55 |  #15

windpig wrote in post #16598004 (external link)
I would be sure and have an extra chord. I think for your application I'd be going with the chord also.

I do have a backup, but it's a long cord (16') that I am using now until I decided which cord to go with. I used this cord when I first got into off camera flash and did not have any wireless triggers. It's a JJC cord that's given me good service for about 4 years now, although it's not a coiled cord.

I still think those 622s are interesting though.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off Camera flash cord recommendation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.