Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to Landscape Photography

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 30, 2014 15:14 |  #46

Thx, Phraskikleia.

I have never used live view on my 60D but ironically enough, I just read up on it in my David Busch 60D book a few minutes ago. It turns out, it's just like shooting with my G12 which is a relief.. nothing really new to learn.

Now, how does one go about checking the infinity marking on a particular lens? Setting it to infinity and taking a few photographs? Again, pardon my ignorance.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,716 posts
Gallery: 635 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 30, 2014 16:25 |  #47

When would you want to focus to infinity? I can't think of one situation where I ever focus at infinity (apart from on my 14mm as I have set the infinity mark where I get focus on stars for speed of setting)

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2014 17:38 |  #48

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16650676 (external link)
Thx, Phraskikleia.

I have never used live view on my 60D but ironically enough, I just read up on it in my David Busch 60D book a few minutes ago. It turns out, it's just like shooting with my G12 which is a relief.. nothing really new to learn.

Now, how does one go about checking the infinity marking on a particular lens? Setting it to infinity and taking a few photographs? Again, pardon my ignorance.

Yes, you just have to set up on a tripod and take a few test shots. Make sure that there is something very far away that you think ought to be in focus at infinity. First take a shot where the lens marking is for infinity. Then go a little in front of it and a little beyond it with the next two shots. Review them in Live View or (better still) on a computer screen to see exactly how well the marking corresponds with what you're seeing.

xpfloyd wrote in post #16650842 (external link)
When would you want to focus to infinity? I can't think of one situation where I ever focus at infinity (apart from on my 14mm as I have set the infinity mark where I get focus on stars for speed of setting)

Yes, stars would be one example. Also lightning, especially if it's really dark out and you can't see well enough to focus on the landscape in the distance. But mostly it's useful when you're focus bracketing (for a focus blend/"focus stacking") to make sure that you have focus points going all the way through the scene.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2014 19:03 |  #49

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16649914 (external link)
How can that possibly work when the sun is actually IN the frame (which is the scenario under discussion here)?

If you ever tried one you'll understand. :)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2014 19:06 |  #50

jdizzle wrote in post #16651198 (external link)
If you ever tried one you'll understand. :)

Uh huh. And if you try shooting with the sun visible in the frame, then you'll understand. ;)

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2014 16:11 |  #51

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16651206 (external link)
Uh huh. And if you try shooting with the sun visible in the frame, then you'll understand. ;)

Shooting into the sun is our enemy for shooting landscapes. There are high quality lenses out there that do an awesome job of reducing flare (Zeiss 21 for example). So, there's less work in post. I also understand the finger in the photo technique for one exposure and blending it in post. It's the work around.

jamaeolus
195 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 18, 2014 21:01 |  #52

I have a different but related issue. Trying to take "portraits" of bonsai trees. I'll be using a 60d. I have a sig 18-50 that I think might be good or a 24-105 L. Was considering a zeiss planar. but can't figure out what all the differences are. What is the difference between AE and ZE? I see e-bay prices all over the map for similar looking and designated lenses. Any help appreciated.

60D tok 11-16, sig 17-50, canon 24-105L,100-400 IS L, celestron 5SE

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,716 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2014 06:23 |  #53

I could be wrong but I think its the mount. ZE being canon mount. Don't actually own a zeiss so don't go spending money on my advice

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 19, 2014 06:42 |  #54

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16651024 (external link)
Yes, stars would be one example.

No, stars need special focusing, not at infinity. They would be OOF if infinity was simply selected on the dial. In fact based on this known fact, I cannot think of anything that would need infinity.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,716 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2014 06:50 |  #55

xpfloyd wrote in post #16650842 (external link)

Lowner wrote in post #16701026 (external link)
No, stars need special focusing, not at infinity. They would be OOF if infinity was simply selected on the dial. In fact based on this known fact, I cannot think of anything that would need infinity.

What I meant was my lens is set to focus at stars on the infinity mark as I adjusted it, but its not actually infinity like you say

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2014 11:03 |  #56

jdizzle wrote in post #16699727 (external link)
Shooting into the sun is our enemy for shooting landscapes. There are high quality lenses out there that do an awesome job of reducing flare (Zeiss 21 for example). So, there's less work in post. I also understand the finger in the photo technique for one exposure and blending it in post. It's the work around.

Shooting into the sun is not "our enemy" at all. Sunstars are our friends; they can really enliven a photo. And the finger trick is not just a workaround, it's the only way to eliminate flare completely when you have a bright sunstar in the frame. I would encourage you to post a photo to show how well you are able to eliminate flare from a sunstar merely by using a particular lens, but as far as I know, you do not share your pictures online at all (a fact that does not particularly inspire confidence in your assertions).

Gear is not the answer to every problem (or even most of them); usually technique offers the only real solution.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,716 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2014 12:18 |  #57

well this thread is going downhill rapidly!

jamaeolus
195 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 19, 2014 19:44 |  #58

xpfloyd wrote in post #16701684 (external link)

Its approaching the bottom infinitely fast.

60D tok 11-16, sig 17-50, canon 24-105L,100-400 IS L, celestron 5SE

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2014 21:55 |  #59

xpfloyd wrote in post #16701684 (external link)

If you are referring to my last comment, then perhaps the following will get things going back uphill again...

markisclueless wrote in post #16612494 (external link)
Another newby question, how to I prevent sun flare when shooting during a setting sun?
I had a nice location (at least to my eye) with a rock in foreground and a rock +- 10 feet behind and to the right - I had the sun setting between these rocks so the rocks kinda leads your eye into the frame. Problem is I got sun flare in all shots except for when the sun was almost gone and the colours were not as vibrant in these ?

The OP asked this (very good) question, and it's just irresponsible to suggest that throwing money at the problem is the solution.

If you just use your finger to block the sun, then you eliminate flare completely. This photo had flare showing in a diagonal line from the sun down into the lower left corner.

Here is my finger blocking the sun to remove flare:

IMAGE: http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/FingerTrick.jpg

And here is the photo once the compositing and blending was done:

IMAGE: http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/LightMotif.jpg

I am offering this example and this advice in the spirit of helpfulness. These forums tend to place an unhealthy emphasis on gear acquisition, and it is a real pity to see it in a thread like this, where someone new to landscape photography is trying to get some real answers.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,716 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2014 03:25 |  #60

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16703090 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I am offering this example and this advice in the spirit of helpfulness. These forums tend to place an unhealthy emphasis on gear acquisition, and it is a real pity to see it in a thread like this, where someone new to landscape photography is trying to get some real answers.

Very nice shot, however real answers are what everyone has been trying to give the OP from the start. I think there was only one post in the whole thread that suggested expensive gear, namely the zeiss lens, but on the whole there has been some good advice given by all that doesnt have an unhealthy emphasis, as you put it, on gear aquisition

sponsored links

10,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to Landscape Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.