Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to Landscape Photography

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 20, 2014 05:29 |  #61

xpfloyd wrote in post #16703474 (external link)
Very nice shot

Agree, its a great shot!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,772 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2014 10:41 |  #62

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16703090 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

And here is the photo once the compositing and blending was done:

QUOTED IMAGE

I am offering this example and this advice in the spirit of helpfulness. These forums tend to place an unhealthy emphasis on gear acquisition, and it is a real pity to see it in a thread like this, where someone new to landscape photography is trying to get some real answers.

Wonderful photo, thanks for the tip. I didn't quite get the finger thing until you posted this example. (and yes, gear is over emphasized on this forum)

Flickr (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 20, 2014 15:53 |  #63

patrick j wrote in post #16704081 (external link)
Wonderful photo, thanks for the tip. I didn't quite get the finger thing until you posted this example. (and yes, gear is over emphasized on this forum)

Thanks, I'm glad you found it helpful. 😊

Lowner wrote in post #16701026 (external link)
No, stars need special focusing, not at infinity. They would be OOF if infinity was simply selected on the dial. In fact based on this known fact, I cannot think of anything that would need infinity.

Sorry, I just noticed this comment. I'm not sure why you would say such a thing when focusing at infinity has long been one of the go-to methods for focusing on stars. It's not the only method, but that's the besides the point. Anyway, you don't have to take my word for it. Here are a few pages that come up near the top of a quick google search on the topic:

http://www.astropix.co​m/BGDA/SAMPLE1/SAMPLE1​.HTM (external link)

http://nightskyinfocus​.com …tography/captur​emilkyway/ (external link)

http://www.lawsonphoto​.us …otograph-stars-milky-way/ (external link)

Ditto for photographing lightning, for example:

http://www.exposuregui​de.com …ning-photography-tips.htm (external link)

Again, it's not the only way to focus, and in some cases will not be the best way, but there is no reason to say that it never works. Some focus rings can be turned beyond the infinity marking, so perhaps that is what is confusing you. Also, some lenses have infinity markings that are not very accurate, so you have to do some tests on those to figure out where infinity actually is.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 21, 2014 03:21 |  #64

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16704743 (external link)
Sorry, I just noticed this comment. I'm not sure why you would say such a thing when focusing at infinity has long been one of the go-to methods for focusing on stars.

I've forgotten the full details (blame a medical problem with my brain - I'm serious!), but infinity is NOT right, as even the sun and other stars are apparently not at full infinity and it can effect the sharpness of the shot.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,742 posts
Gallery: 635 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2014 03:37 |  #65

For every lens ive ever used to shoot stars, the stars have not been in focus when the lens was set at the infinity mark on the barrel. It always seems to be slightly back from the mark when the stars come into focus

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2014 18:57 |  #66

The infinity mark on lenses is never infinity. It has a bit of "extra" room to allow for lens expansion due to heat or something like that.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 21, 2014 19:18 |  #67

Sirrith wrote in post #16707676 (external link)
The infinity mark on lenses is never infinity. It has a bit of "extra" room to allow for lens expansion due to heat or something like that.

Exactly. (That's what I noted at the bottom of post #63.) It confuses a lot of people, including me the first time I ever tried to photograph lightning. Once you figure out where infinity actually is on your lens, it makes a world of difference!

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 22, 2014 07:52 |  #68

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16703090 (external link)
If you are referring to my last comment, then perhaps the following will get things going back uphill again...

The OP asked this (very good) question, and it's just irresponsible to suggest that throwing money at the problem is the solution.

If you just use your finger to block the sun, then you eliminate flare completely. This photo had flare showing in a diagonal line from the sun down into the lower left corner.

Here is my finger blocking the sun to remove flare:

And here is the photo once the compositing and blending was done:

I am offering this example and this advice in the spirit of helpfulness. These forums tend to place an unhealthy emphasis on gear acquisition, and it is a real pity to see it in a thread like this, where someone new to landscape photography is trying to get some real answers.

It's not irresponsible if you can give every option to consider. Also, I did not mention to the OP to go buy a Zeiss 21. I used the 21 ZE as an example since the lens has excellent flare control. ( inserting smiley here) :)

sponsored links

10,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to Landscape Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.