Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 11, 2014 14:02 |  #136

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said nobody has a problem, and indeed mentioned specifically my copy seems to have no problem in actual use. That my copy (so far) and many others' copies seem to not have the issue does not equal yours and some others also don't have the problem.

Don't take opposing tests that don't confirm your findings as offensive or an attack on you. It's just another data point trying to figure out whether this is a camera issue overall or an issue with certain copies.

Throwing a fit about it when someone doesn't confirm what you're saying certainly doesn't help your case.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,068 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2014 15:10 |  #137

didnt read through the whole test, but saw the 50mm F1.8 test. That lens is horribly inaccurate. just throwing that little tidbit out there.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 11, 2014 16:41 |  #138

Charlie wrote in post #16751124 (external link)
didnt read through the whole test, but saw the 50mm F1.8 test. That lens is horribly inaccurate. just throwing that little tidbit out there.

Absolutely agree. I have used the 50mm f/1.8 pn my 60D, t2i and t3i and find that in anything less than ideal lighting conditions the AF is very inconsistent, especially with small or low contrast targets . I accept, though, that it might be my copy.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 16:52 |  #139

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16750976 (external link)
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said nobody has a problem, and indeed mentioned specifically my copy seems to have no problem in actual use. That my copy (so far) and many others' copies seem to not have the issue does not equal yours and some others also don't have the problem.

Don't take opposing tests that don't confirm your findings as offensive or an attack on you. It's just another data point trying to figure out whether this is a camera issue overall or an issue with certain copies.

Throwing a fit about it when someone doesn't confirm what you're saying certainly doesn't help your case.

Becuase its not data ..walking around and taking pics of a fire hyd. is not a test. Yet because you did your "test" you come to the conclusion

that and, I suspect, many many people's copies) this is not an issue.

. I didnt put words in your mouth, I quoted you.
I am far from throwing a fit, and you really didnt do any test to confirm anything.

You could though, just to prove you are right. Put your camera on a tripod. Simulate the same thing I did (except at 1.8 instead of the 1.4) in my test. shoot 20 shots in numbered order through the view finder. That is data, shooting a flag at F/11 and calling your copy good because of it means nothing.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 16:58 |  #140

Charlie wrote in post #16751124 (external link)

On the bad camera's its not just the 50/1.8. Its on any lens that opens 2.8 or wider. It does it on 50/1.2's, 24-70/2.8's, 35/1.4 ect ect. once under 2.8 it just cant nail focus through the VF. But will nail focus in live view.
The one picture I posted was a 50/1.4.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 11, 2014 17:02 |  #141

Scoobert wrote in post #16751397 (external link)
On the bad camera's its not just the 50/1.8. Its on any lens that opens 2.8 or wider. It does it on 50/1.2's, 24-70/2.8's, 35/1.4 ect ect. once under 2.8 it just cant nail focus through the VF. But will nail focus in live view.
The one picture I posted was a 50/1.4.

This is a good enough reason for a recall. I personally would not buy this model because of this.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 11, 2014 17:59 |  #142

Frodge wrote in post #16751409 (external link)
This is a good enough reason for a recall. I personally would not buy this model because of this.

Of course you wouldn't. What kind of recall? Everything? Most people in the US don't seem have a problem, or they have just not reported it. As a result might it not make sense to first identify a range of serial numbers that are affected since the problem may have occurred during a specific period? Has a widespread occurrence of this issue been reported anywhere except Germany? If examples of this specific problem can be clearly identified in the earliest and in the latest production copies than I agree a full recall is warranted. Until the scope of the issue is better defined however a full recall may be overkill. I agree that this is a serious problem but its a bit early to assume that every 70D is affected. And if most aren't affected than Canon must make an effort to tell the owners who are affected what is different about their copy, and then make it right. Perhaps you might want to poll 70D users.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 18:20 |  #143

Frodge wrote in post #16751409 (external link)

At this point I wouldn't want to see a recall on them. But it would be nice for canon to even acknowledge there is a problem. Even the camera's sent in to canon repair with this issue are being returned to the owners with no defects found, working as intended. Yet still exhibit the same issue.
A 1000 dollar camera on a tripod with a 1600 dollar lens should not take 10 blurry pictures in a row and called working as intended.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 11, 2014 18:34 |  #144

Scoobert wrote in post #16751382 (external link)
Becuase its not data ..walking around and taking pics of a fire hyd. is not a test. Yet because you did your "test" you come to the conclusion . I didnt put words in your mouth, I quoted you.
I am far from throwing a fit, and you really didnt do any test to confirm anything.

You could though, just to prove you are right. Put your camera on a tripod. Simulate the same thing I did (except at 1.8 instead of the 1.4) in my test. shoot 20 shots in numbered order through the view finder. That is data, shooting a flag at F/11 and calling your copy good because of it means nothing.

If you looked through the thread, you'd notice I did indeed test, and saw live view was much better inside using artificial light. I was afraid the lens was a problem, so I took it out and did real world testing, which showed me the camera behaves just fine with adequate light. This lens is awful apparently using phase detect focus inside shooting a test chart. I'll freely admit that.

Edit - Link to testing: https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16740294&pos​tcount=114

It works fine at ~5-6ft out: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16717767&po​stcount=77

The post you're referring to, which is evidently the only one of mine you read, was moving from data gathering indoors (which was not very good, for sure) and then moving the camera & lens outdoors to try actually using them. It performed nicely the entire day through a couple hundred photos. The only misses were ones that I screwed up, as far as I can tell (i.e. using the center point then re-framing at f/2.0 is not the best way to get something in focus ;) ).

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 11, 2014 19:22 |  #145

mwsilver wrote in post #16751513 (external link)
Of course you wouldn't. What kind of recall? Everything? Most people in the US don't seem have a problem, or they have just not reported it. As a result might it not make sense to first identify a range of serial numbers that are affected since the problem may have occurred during a specific period? Has a widespread occurrence of this issue been reported anywhere except Germany? If examples of this specific problem can be clearly identified in the earliest and in the latest production copies than I agree a full recall is warranted. Until the scope of the issue is better defined however a full recall may be overkill. I agree that this is a serious problem but its a bit early to assume that every 70D is affected. And if most aren't affected than Canon must make an effort to tell the owners who are affected what is different about their copy, and then make it right. Perhaps you might want to poll 70D users.

I never said a full recall. I said a recall. Most recalls always deal with certain production numbers. But you had to get personal. From what I've read on several different sites, is that the problem is wit wide aperture lenses under 15-20 feet. That's kind afo a really bad problem for all the "bokeh" shooters out there. For the record, I would not buy a camera with what I would consider a serious defect like this until it's sorted out. Maybe lay off the sarcasm a bit.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 19:27 |  #146

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16751606 (external link)
If you looked through the thread, you'd notice I did indeed test, and saw live view was much better inside using artificial light. I was afraid the lens was a problem, so I took it out and did real world testing, which showed me the camera behaves just fine with adequate light. This lens is awful apparently using phase detect focus inside shooting a test chart. I'll freely admit that.

Edit - Link to testing: https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16740294&pos​tcount=114

It works fine at ~5-6ft out: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16717767&po​stcount=77

Your test were awesome I did not see them...MY APOLOGIES !!!!

But it almost proves the point dont it? That your 1K camera has determined there is more then enough light to take a picture. It has also determined it has focus locked on, yet its not even close. The things your 50/1.8 is doing inside is what other 1500 dollar lenses are experiencing. A solution of shooting outside in great light is really not a solution though :)

Check out the roll over images on Toby's site.

http://digital.photore​commendations.com …center-focus-point-issue/ (external link)
Those are very expensive lens doing the same thing your 50/1.8 is. I am glad you are happy with yours and I truly hope yours has no focus issues. Again my apologies for misunderstand your testing.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 11, 2014 19:55 |  #147

Thank you. I saw the video for sure. You're right, it is a problem inside, so far. The main reason I'm wavering on saying my copy has a problem is the lens. The nifty is very well known to hunt, peck and otherwise screw up focus in bad lighting. That's why I tried to mitigate that by aiming to 100W equivalent CFLs at that chart. Heh, it didn't mitigate it enough apparently.

Outside it's just peachy. That's where I shoot most everything anyway, apart from random shots at family gatherings, so I'm ok with it. It doesn't make me like the 70D any less. (To be perfectly honest, I'm also ok with it because I can't afford any better fast lenses.)

Even if I could, I still don't think it would be a big deal to me. If you look through the 70D owner's thread, there are lots and lots of photos taken with fast lenses and they look spectacular, especially the bird guys. All with plenty of light.

So if the 70D has a problem - and indeed mine exhibits not so great behavior with the nifty - it is indoors with inadequate lighting.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 20:06 |  #148

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16751796 (external link)
Thank you. I saw the video for sure. You're right, it is a problem inside, so far. The main reason I'm wavering on saying my copy has a problem is the lens. The nifty is very well known to hunt, peck and otherwise screw up focus in bad lighting. That's why I tried to mitigate that by aiming to 100W equivalent CFLs at that chart. Heh, it didn't mitigate it enough apparently.

Outside it's just peachy. That's where I shoot most everything anyway, apart from random shots at family gatherings, so I'm ok with it. It doesn't make me like the 70D any less. (To be perfectly honest, I'm also ok with it because I can't afford any better fast lenses.)

Even if I could, I still don't think it would be a big deal to me. If you look through the 70D owner's thread, there are lots and lots of photos taken with fast lenses and they look spectacular, especially the bird guys. All with plenty of light.

So if the 70D has a problem - and indeed mine exhibits not so great behavior with the nifty - it is indoors with inadequate lighting.

I wish shooting outdoors all the time was an option. Most of my shots are indoors being a long nebraska winter. :) But I agree with a 70-200 F4 on this thing can put out some great shots.
I bought this thing for the better sensor over the t4i and thinking I would get some great bokeh with my new 50/1.4,. Sadly my keeper rate on my t4i was much higher then it is with this thing.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 11, 2014 20:33 |  #149

Frodge wrote in post #16751712 (external link)
I never said a full recall. I said a recall. Most recalls always deal with certain production numbers. But you had to get personal. From what I've read on several different sites, is that the problem is wit wide aperture lenses under 15-20 feet. That's kind afo a really bad problem for all the "bokeh" shooters out there. For the record, I would not buy a camera with what I would consider a serious defect like this until it's sorted out. Maybe lay off the sarcasm a bit.

I pretty much agree that there should be some kind of recall. I wasn't getting personal. It is a serious defect and I wouldn't get one either until the cause and scope of the problem is resolved or at least identified.

Mark

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 11, 2014 20:37 |  #150

mwsilver wrote in post #16751877 (external link)
I pretty much agree that there should be some kind of recall. I wasn't getting personal. It is a serious defect and I wouldn't get one either until the cause and scope of the problem is resolved or at least identified.

No hard feelings on my end. Just disappointing. 70d was a possibility for me when it first was in the works. It will be interesting to see how it's handled. Having to shoot at 15' feet and further out under f1.8 is not a good thing.

sponsored links

351,039 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.