Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,552 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2014 20:45 |  #196

Sorry that I post your photo without Image Editing OK... I am trying to help, if you object, I will remove it.

What are thse (they look like reflections) are you using a filter?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links
Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 17, 2014 20:55 |  #197

single_track wrote in post #16766111 (external link)
I would be camped out at my local camera shop where I bought this problem, while on hold with Canon Customer Service.

I bought it from B&H but didnt realize the problem until I had the camera for 40+ days. I come from a t4i and just kept thinking it must be me. I am not used to the camera or maybe I suck or both :)
By the time I was reading about others with the same issue I was outside my return window at B&H. My friend got his for christmas, it has the same issues. I guess the most disappointing part is how canon is handling it. Returning cameras unfixed. I would have thought they would have just sent him a new body since his camera was only 50 days old.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 17, 2014 20:57 |  #198

MakisM1 wrote in post #16766121 (external link)
Sorry that I post your photo without Image Editing OK... I am trying to help, if you object, I will remove it.

What are thse (they look like reflections) are you using a filter?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=167​66121&i=i76575983
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Please feel free to do anything to my photos :)
That would be the tape holding the paper to the house. So it couldn't move, even though there was no wind I wanted to insure it stayed in the same spot.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,552 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2014 21:05 |  #199

So no filter... :( Well I hope that Canon figures it out (even if they can't figure out the problem, at least figure out to swap the AF system module or something...).

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 17, 2014 22:10 |  #200

Scoobert wrote in post #16766146 (external link)
I bought it from B&H but didnt realize the problem until I had the camera for 40+ days. I come from a t4i and just kept thinking it must be me. I am not used to the camera or maybe I suck or both :)
By the time I was reading about others with the same issue I was outside my return window at B&H. My friend got his for christmas, it has the same issues. I guess the most disappointing part is how canon is handling it. Returning cameras unfixed. I would have thought they would have just sent him a new body since his camera was only 50 days old.

You should both make warranty claims, include your testing samples with the AF point highlighted and send the lens as well. Escalate your issue with Canon.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 17, 2014 22:19 |  #201

Keyan wrote in post #16766348 (external link)
You should both make warranty claims, include your testing samples with the AF point highlighted and send the lens as well. Escalate your issue with Canon.

Thank you for the input. I think I will do that. I guess I was hoping with all the people having this problem (mostly Germans) that canon would either put out a firmware fix or let the people with bad copies get an exchange. But so far all I have seen is them to send back the same camera unfixed after keeping it 2 weeks.

I will take some more pictures tomorrow with the AF highlighted and start my trek down warranty lane. Gonna suck going without a camera :(

Thanks for all the input guys

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 17, 2014 22:20 |  #202

What a shame. Hopefully you get is fixed soon.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 17, 2014 22:35 |  #203

Frodge wrote in post #16766377 (external link)
What a shame. Hopefully you get is fixed soon.

Thanks for the sympathy Frodge.

But I guess on the bright side I will give us all a documented trail of what happens.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,552 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2014 22:50 |  #204

Scoobert wrote in post #16766401 (external link)

But I guess on the bright side I will give us all a documented trail of what happens.

A complete paper trail is important.

Gerry

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2014 18:11 |  #205

Scoobert wrote in post #16766401 (external link)

Depending on where you live I have found the VA service center to be fast and seemed to do a decent job.

Put the camera in a ziplock bag, then wrap it in bubble wrap. Do the same with the lens you did the testing with. Secure them in a box and make sure you insure it. Be sure you document everything you are sending on the packing slip they give you, the body cap, front and rear lens caps, and battery if you send it with one. Include your testing and sample photos.

Do NOT send it in the retail box or include anything extra.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 18, 2014 18:36 |  #206

Keyan wrote in post #16768563 (external link)
Depending on where you live I have found the VA service center to be fast and seemed to do a decent job.

Put the camera in a ziplock bag, then wrap it in bubble wrap. Do the same with the lens you did the testing with. Secure them in a box and make sure you insure it. Be sure you document everything you are sending on the packing slip they give you, the body cap, front and rear lens caps, and battery if you send it with one. Include your testing and sample photos.

Do NOT send it in the retail box or include anything extra.

Thank you sir, you have been a great help.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2014 20:06 |  #207

Oh yeah make sure you get all of the extra air out of the bag so the camera or lens won't slide around, the bag is more to keep the dust out and from things rubbing too badly. Put each in their own bag and bubble wrap package and be sure to fill any extra space in the box with packing paper or more bubble wrap.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2014 20:11 |  #208

Scoobert wrote in post #16768630 (external link)
Thank you sir, you have been a great help.

No problem. I hope Canon gets it sorted out, I am interested in what they have to say. If it comes back not fixed I would immediately call and talk to a service manager.

Oh yeah also include a copy of your order/receipt from your seller so they can verify warranty status...although it hasn't been out a year so they can't really deny it ;-)a

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 18, 2014 20:25 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #209

Off to a good start :) I explained the focus issue and what apertures its happening at and even included pictures.
First reply from canon.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EOS 70D. I'm sorry that you're having difficulty setting focus when using a wide-open aperture.

Part of this may be due to the dioptric adjustment of the viewfinder. The dioptric adjustment knob is designed to refine the view that comes to the viewfinder without affecting focus. The idea is to make the camera easier to use for people with different visual abilities, like photographers who may wear glasses for example.

You can adjust this yourself by turning the small round knob that is near the viewfinder. Keep turning the knob until the numbers in the viewfinder, not the image itself, appear as sharp as possible.

Sometimes the image itself will appear blurry even when the numbers on the bottom are sharp. This may be due to the subject being out-of-focus. Try to press the shutter halfway down to see if that helps.

Damn I knew it was going to be something easy. That pesky dioptric adjuster is messing up my photo's...... or maybe i am not pushing the shutter button halfway down

smh

I have replied to their email, I will see what they say tomorrow but this aint looking good :)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 18, 2014 21:14 |  #210

Wow, that was a fail of a response. Certainly isn't going to make anybody feel all warm & fuzzy toward Canon customer service.

Next thing you know they'll be asking whether you wear glasses, and whether you had them on at the time...

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links

344,614 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.