Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering trading 24L TS-E Mk1 for high quality prime

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 14, 2014 21:52 |  #1

I shoot primarily architecture. Mostly large commercial projects - schools, commercial office buildings, interiors and sports venues.

Right now, I shoot using my 5D MK2, and for the majority of the time, I use my 17-40L ,70-200L F/4 Non-IS and 50mm f/1.8 always from a tripod. Since the perspective control in Lightroom has been getting better and better, I find myself using my 24L TS-E Mk1 less and less. I know that there are strengths with using the manually controlled perspective control lens, but over the last year, I have developed techniques that allow me to not need it as often.

My question is this - instead of having the TS-E on a shelf gathering dust, I am considering trading this out for a high quality prime lens of about the same value - $750-850. I have most of my focal range covered, except for 40-70mm. At this point, a Distagon is probably out of reach, but maybe a 14mm f/2.8 Mk1 or 15mm fisheye would be useful.

Any recommendations for a similar lens, good for architecture without a lot of distortion? Aperture isn't a driving factor for me, since I'm on a tripod the majority of the time.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 15, 2014 20:26 |  #2

Not in my opinion. I take many environmental photos, and often find a big problem with my 24L.
Ex. Stand in front of a shed, about 3 feet from the opening, with a non-tilt lens at 24mm.
Now simply take 3 photos, (one at 45* up, one level with the door, and one at -45* down)
While keeping the whole door in frame. No amount of Lightroom correction will make picture 1 or 3 look like picture 2.
Although it does help to try it.
I love my 24L on my 6D and use it quite often. But I find it distorts buildings and straight lines even more than it distorts people.
When I frame my subject I often have to move to one knee or hold the camera above my head to keep the shot level, and framed as I want it.
A tilt-shift lens would do wonders for me, as I use my tripod in about 1 out of 1,000 shots. :)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering trading 24L TS-E Mk1 for high quality prime
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.