Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 16, 2014 08:01 |  #31

Thanks for the review, and your photos are fantastic.
I've also had the 6D since release, and the 5D3 longer. My experience is as per your review, although I am not close to the same shutter count ;)
The only point I have experienced which is dissimilar is the low light focus.
I am familiar with the specs, and theoretically the 6D center focus point should lock focus in lower light than the 5D3. However, this is not the case with my copies, the 5D3 continues to focus in lower light.
The difference isn't great, but consistent for me when testing various lens combos.

I would be interested in your experience, have you tested this, if so, what were your findings?

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

sponsored links
mollet
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 16, 2014 13:12 as a reply to  @ DamianOz's post |  #32

Those really are some great photos and i was about to purchase a 6d untill i read in youre review that due to focus issues it would not make a very good wedding camera,:cry:

Alex ­ DiPietro
82 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 16, 2014 13:40 as a reply to  @ mollet's post |  #33

Great Review and wonderful images! Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

A Canon Camera and Some Lenses
flickr (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 16, 2014 16:43 |  #34

mollet wrote in post #16610710 (external link)
Those really are some great photos and i was about to purchase a 6d untill i read in youre review that due to focus issues it would not make a very good wedding camera,:cry:

While a 5DIII's AF system (or 1D series) is better for weddings, it is also doable with a 6D. The 5DII was (and still is) one of the most popular wedding cameras, used by a lot, a lot of wedding photographers. If they managed with the 5DII, the 6D is capable too. (Of course many of them have since switched to a 5DIII probably.)
But again a 5DIII is obviously better. I guess if you have a very large budget and can afford anything from 5DIII to 1DX, then you probably wouldn't buy a 6D for weddings.

I've shot quite a few indoor events with my 6D and AF accuracy was actually better than my 7D which was my second body those days. I was actually surprised how well it performed despite the negative hype; I even used the top off-center points quite often (being aware of their limitations though). Maybe I didn't have high expectations :)

But Graham is right, for a serious wedding photographer it may not cut it (that doesn't mean it is impossible to shoot a wedding with it. I've actually read quite a few good wedding photographers' blogs who shoot weddings with 6Ds)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 17:30 |  #35

mollet wrote in post #16610710 (external link)

I know a great number of wedding photographers who use the 5D2 everyday, a couple with half a million shutter actuations.

The 6D has more AF points than the 5D2.

I really think the effect of marketing has a stranglehold on this topic of AF :|

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 17:31 |  #36

gabebalazs wrote in post #16611185 (external link)
While a 5DIII's AF system (or 1D series) is better for weddings, it is also doable with a 6D. The 5DII was (and still is) one of the most popular wedding cameras, used by a lot, a lot of wedding photographers. If they managed with the 5DII, the 6D is capable too. (Of course many of them have since switched to a 5DIII probably.)
But again a 5DIII is obviously better. I guess if you have a very large budget and can afford anything from 5DIII to 1DX, then you probably wouldn't buy a 6D for weddings.

I've shot quite a few indoor events with my 6D and AF accuracy was actually better than my 7D which was my second body those days. I was actually surprised how well it performed despite the negative hype; I even used the top off-center points quite often (being aware of their limitations though). Maybe I didn't have high expectations :)

But Graham is right, for a serious wedding photographer it may not cut it (that doesn't mean it is impossible to shoot a wedding with it. I've actually read quite a few good wedding photographers' blogs who shoot weddings with 6Ds)

+1 .

- -

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 17, 2014 18:17 |  #37

Great job!

I think its humorous when people berate the 6D's focusing and forget the days of the 20D and the millions of sporting events and wildlife images captured with it.

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 17, 2014 21:08 |  #38

Tsmith wrote in post #16614161 (external link)
Great job!

I think its humorous when people berate the 6D's focusing and forget the days of the 20D and the millions of sporting events and wildlife images captured with it.

But, but, but... this is 2014! We shouldn't have to work with inferior products!

...is what they usually respond with :lol:

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

bogeypro
310 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2014 13:12 as a reply to  @ DBNissan's post |  #39

excellent in-hands (and on tripod), real world review minus the market hype, wonderful images. Thanks

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:12 |  #40

DamianOz wrote in post #16610001 (external link)
Thanks for the review, and your photos are fantastic.
I've also had the 6D since release, and the 5D3 longer. My experience is as per your review, although I am not close to the same shutter count ;)
The only point I have experienced which is dissimilar is the low light focus.
I am familiar with the specs, and theoretically the 6D center focus point should lock focus in lower light than the 5D3. However, this is not the case with my copies, the 5D3 continues to focus in lower light.
The difference isn't great, but consistent for me when testing various lens combos.

I would be interested in your experience, have you tested this, if so, what were your findings?

Hey Damian,

I'm seeing a noticeable difference with the lowlight focus with using 3-stop and 6-stop ND filters, but not much outside of dark filtration.

- -

chrisnosleep
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 00:54 |  #41

Its been a couple of days since I watched and read through your review and this thread, so please be patient. I currently have the 70D and am fairly happy with it. In fact I'm sure I'll be mostly fine once winter is over and the sports move outside. But for the winter months, the sports I shoot are basketball and volleyball. I know in your review, you specifically said this would probably not be for sports shooters, but I felt like you were saying that due to the limited FPS the camera is capable of. Well, I don't care so much about FPS as my 70D will be fine when I need this setup. My big concern is clarity and depth in low light sporting events like I mentioned above.

After you review, I'm on the fence deciding between the 5Dmkiii and the 6D.(Also have a gut feeling the 5Dmkiii is getting an upgrade this year) If I was to pair the 6D with the 70-200 f2.8 mkii, would I be able to get shots at least as good, if not better, than the 5Dmkiii in these low light sporting events? I'm almost always using the single center focal point as it is anyway, so the lack of points wouldn't be a problem. I would really hate to spend almost double for the 5Dmkiii if the 6D is just as capable for my needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a camera store or a Best Buy where I can just go pick one up and try it. I've looked through flickr and found only one user with any good examples of this camera's abilities for sporting events. That, or he's just really talented and the rest of the 6D sports shooters show why this is not for sports. :)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:01 |  #42

chrisnosleep wrote in post #16628822 (external link)
Its been a couple of days since I watched and read through your review and this thread, so please be patient. I currently have the 70D and am fairly happy with it. In fact I'm sure I'll be mostly fine once winter is over and the sports move outside. But for the winter months, the sports I shoot are basketball and volleyball. I know in your review, you specifically said this would probably not be for sports shooters, but I felt like you were saying that due to the limited FPS the camera is capable of. Well, I don't care so much about FPS as my 70D will be fine when I need this setup. My big concern is clarity and depth in low light sporting events like I mentioned above.

After you review, I'm on the fence deciding between the 5Dmkiii and the 6D.(Also have a gut feeling the 5Dmkiii is getting an upgrade this year) If I was to pair the 6D with the 70-200 f2.8 mkii, would I be able to get shots at least as good, if not better, than the 5Dmkiii in these low light sporting events? I'm almost always using the single center focal point as it is anyway, so the lack of points wouldn't be a problem. I would really hate to spend almost double for the 5Dmkiii if the 6D is just as capable for my needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a camera store or a Best Buy where I can just go pick one up and try it. I've looked through flickr and found only one user with any good examples of this camera's abilities for sporting events. That, or he's just really talented and the rest of the 6D sports shooters show why this is not for sports. :)

Hey Chris!

Regarding the "If you shoot sports or fast action 80% of the time or more this may not cut it" comment I was referring to the simple AF system rather than FPS.

But how many sports and fast action shooters use 5D Mark II's? To be honest I see a fair number. I think this is a case where the power of marketing really has a high influence on photographers, and more specifically gear nerds.

Capturing that decisive moment can be done in one shot. But most sports and fast action shooters increase their law of averages through high FPS and more comprehensive AF systems. Which isn't to say you couldn't capture the same if you were a decisive photographer! : )

Graham

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:03 |  #43

bogeypro wrote in post #16615996 (external link)
excellent in-hands (and on tripod), real world review minus the market hype, wonderful images. Thanks

thank you!

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:04 |  #44

Tsmith wrote in post #16614161 (external link)
Great job!

couldn't agree more. when I think about the power of marketing in the art of photography I think of this classic quote by Galen Rowell:

“Cameras capable of making great photographs have become commonplace these days, but photographers have not. While technical innovations have made photography even easier in recent decades, the art of producing images that other people will care about has become ever more formidable. This apparent paradox is due to rising expectations in a culture where we are surrounded by a growing number of sophisticated images every day of our lives.“

GALEN ROWELL

(pre-digital 1998)

- -

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 23, 2014 01:12 |  #45

chrisnosleep wrote in post #16628822 (external link)

Take a peek through the image sample thread and you will see a few high school basketball and volleyball images in there

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1252637

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

12,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.