Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2014 (Monday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 23, 2014 18:24 |  #226

the flying moose wrote in post #16630620 (external link)
To further stir the pot so to speak, I think if one wants to eliminate the noise and get better shadow recovery they need to use a Mac as we all know that PC's cannot handle the task at hand. Lol.

No, no, no! Bad! PC means personal computer, and Macs are personal computers. Were you thinking of an IBM clone? That's what those things are. They're pretty good, and some of the better ones do a really good job of replicating what a Mac can do.

Kind of like how Chevy tries to emulate Ford. It's cute.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 24, 2014 03:55 |  #227

jdizzle wrote in post #16630413 (external link)
All I want from Canon is to make a sensor to at least rival the D800/E. What's wrong with that? I have no problem shooting/using both camps bcoz' I can. :)

jdizzle wrote in post #16630454 (external link)
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would salute Canon for doing so. But at this time Canon continues to sit on their rumps! As you can see, the ones who want DR are temporarily exiling to Sony's A7/A7r. Doesn't that give anyone a clue? :confused:

Exactly. And that's the root of the issue. Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras, but for those shooters that need lots of DR (and there are plenty of Canon landscape guys, probably partly due to the 5D2) the current situation is very frustrating.

The A7r is looking like a great choice for Canon glass owners - but that in itself illustrates another case of individual needs; namely that the A7r with third partly glass is MF (or very slow AF). That would be completely useless for most sports shooters, so they'd go for a camera (and a brand) that gives them what they need. Horses for courses etc.

kin2son wrote in post #16630519 (external link)
Here's another example, shot with my EOS M -

:(:(:(

Yep. That's a very good, and realistic example of the problem with the Canon sensors - far better than people posting massively underexposed shots in an attempt to make their point.

For this type of shot (stationary subject) it's bracketing and blending in post in Canonland I'm afraid.

Sad thing is, my tiny S100 recovers shadows better than a 7D. I read (I think on an article at the Luminous Landscape) that it uses a Sony sensor. No wonder I guess.

jwcdds wrote in post #16630296 (external link)
But see... in your example above... if you had shot it with a D800, not only will you get superb shadow recovery, you'd instantaneously have a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model pop out. Try as you may, that won't happen when shooting and doing shadow recovery with a Canon. ;)

That is true. I did seriously consider a D800 for landscape work a while back, but just can't get on with Nikon ergonomics (large hands + Nikon = pain). However, from my testing, I did end up with a swimsuit model in every shadow. Kinda surprising to see a scantily clad lady in a shot of a grim northern English town. Poor lass must have been freezing :D

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 24, 2014 04:52 |  #228

Charlie wrote in post #16621499 (external link)
I personally think that kelby is the most prominent nikon shooter ever (aside from kutcher). 1Dx + 5D3, he's got the good toys.

yes, Scott Kelby wanted better images and a higher keep rate and eventually found out that Canon was better camera system.
either that or Canon paid him more than Nikon

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2014 05:43 |  #229

watt100 wrote in post #16632134 (external link)
yes, Scott Kelby wanted better images and a higher keep rate and eventually found out that Canon was better camera system.
either that or Canon paid him more than Nikon

Thats a good point

Do you guys honestly think Nikon wasn't sending some cash his way:eek:

factor that and you have to take him at face value

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:07 |  #230
bannedPermanent ban

RLJSlick wrote in post #16621713 (external link)
I posted this on Twitter, earlier, man that's great to have him on the Light side!

Why? Will that make you sleep better at night? Take better photographs? Walk better with your nose high in the air?

Why exactly is it great?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:08 |  #231
bannedPermanent ban

Buylongterm wrote in post #16622667 (external link)
If he got paid to switch, God bless him.

It's called bought out.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:16 |  #232
bannedPermanent ban

the flying moose wrote in post #16628754 (external link)
I am a little ashamed to say I've never heard of this guy before I read this thread and wondered why there was such a big deal of a guy switching companies. I only watched half the video but IMO he seemed quite genuine and didn't at all come across like he was only doing this for money.

And other than a little poking fun at people who use Nikon or Canon, I can't believe how serious some people get defending their choice of brand. I shoot Canon. Didn't like how Nikon felt in my hands. Doesn't make them bad cameras. Use what makes you happy and gets you out taking photos.

Yep...people defend their equipment choices as if they were family. Mostly comes from insecurity with their purchases and someone like Kelby using the same brand gives them comfort. Like a soother I guess:)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:17 |  #233
bannedPermanent ban

reprazent wrote in post #16628788 (external link)
You obviously never moved on. Why else would you hang around daily to talk sh*t about canon and brag about the superiority of nikon/sony sensors? :rolleyes:

Entertainment value. Nice to poke the embers once in a while to see what flames arise. :eek:

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:22 |  #234
bannedPermanent ban

sploo wrote in post #16629337 (external link)
That really needs clarifying then, as if someone writes something on the lines of "learn to expose properly", it reads as an implied criticism that people who call for more DR don't understand how to shoot. Obviously you didn't mean that, but without context, it is what people will read.

However, whilst I do see what the guys posting underexposed shots are trying to show, I agree it often doesn't help their cause as it can result in confusion of what the issue is essentially about. Far better to post a wide DR shot and show how raising the shadows falls apart on a Canon sensor.

Filters can, in some situations, be a complete solution - and in fact it's great to be able to hold the total DR back and expose to the right (ETTR). Even an Exmor sensor will benefit from that (bringing darker areas into higher stops, thus getting more recorded detail). However, many situations can't be fixed with filters, and then you're left with a choice of badly clipped shadows or blown out highlights.

I'd say the - practical - difference between Canon's sensors and an Exmor is way more than 2 stops. Pulling detail from a D600/D800 file is breathtaking, whereas the bottom few stops from Canon's offerings will fall apart; and I say that as a very happy 5D3 owner (who isn't shooting much landscape these days).

Then your shooting needs are not those of a landscape photographer (just as sports, action, or portrait shooters needs also differ from one another).

I would say that, for landscape shooters, good DR is as critical as good AF is to sports shooters.

My point there is that it's horses for courses; I doubt anyone would tell a sports shooter there was no need for good AF (because it's fairly easy to understand their need for AF, even if you're not a sports photographer yourself [I'm certainly not]). Whilst the need for better DR may be less obvious, I'd say that anyone that's ever done more than very occasional landscape shooting would have experienced situations of having insufficient sensor DR - even if they were using the current benchmarks of the D800 or Sony a7R. DR really is quite fundamental to that short of shooting.

Sploo, well put and an excellent analogy to sports shooters requiring good AF. I shoot a lot of landscapes and always have the need to manage the dynamic range in the photo. Every shot. With a better DR sensor, this management of DR is just easier.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 07:24 |  #235
bannedPermanent ban

xchangx wrote in post #16629370 (external link)
Care to back that up?

I doubt he can. Internet words are a dime a dozen and usually when someone spews out verbiage like that, it ain't even worth a dime.

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 24, 2014 07:25 |  #236

Hogloff wrote in post #16632295 (external link)
It's called bought out.

But does it matter, really?

If he actually hated the Canon gear, and secretly shot with Nikon when he could (and tried to hide the fact that Canon had paid him) then that would be slimy.

If a person were even just neutral about the gear (the Canon vs. Nikon argument), and a rival company offered you a financial incentive to switch, then it's hardly selling your soul to do it.

If he's found things that he likes about the Canon gear, such that he's enthusiastic about using it, then it's absolutely not a problem. If he started bad mouthing Nikon kit then it would look poor, but he's not doing that.

I know Thomas Campbell's triggered a few people with his comments about switching to Nikon; but his points are equally valid - for the work he does, he's chosen the kit that best suits his needs. He's even noted that he misses the Canon 135L, so it appears to be a well reasoned decision with an acceptance that you can't have it all. Just as I'm sure there'll be bits of Nikon kit Kelby will miss when shooting Canon.

Personally I struggle with the ergonomics of Nikon gear, but if I found one that I liked, and someone offered me significant cash to change, I'd certainly consider it.

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 24, 2014 07:29 |  #237

Hogloff wrote in post #16632315 (external link)
Sploo, well put and an excellent analogy to sports shooters requiring good AF. I shoot a lot of landscapes and always have the need to manage the dynamic range in the photo. Every shot. With a better DR sensor, this management of DR is just easier.

Thanks.

Yea, I see this kind of thing for just about any argument (IS vs. no IS for example). When people say "there's no need for x" what they mean is "I personally have no need for x".

Some things I guess are easier to visualise (why someone else might need a specific feature/standard of capability) but when it's less obvious it tends to result in flame wars.

Heck, I've never done any proper sports shooting. I don't know the exact needs of sports guys. I probably don't even have an understanding of what it is I don't know ;)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 24, 2014 08:15 |  #238

Hogloff wrote in post #16632312 (external link)
Entertainment value. Nice to poke the embers once in a while to see what flames arise. :eek:

So I suppose you call that Trolling only when it suits you, correct?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 08:22 |  #239
bannedPermanent ban

andrikos wrote in post #16632411 (external link)
So I suppose you call that Trolling only when it suits you, correct?

Nope...just like to see people get their hairs on the back up when defending their cameras. Wonder if carpenters do the same with their choices of hammers?

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2014 08:25 |  #240

renagade69 wrote in post #16627875 (external link)
You have to take Scott Kelby for his word. Unless someone has direct knowledge otherwise. Having the sponsorship had to help him change systems by taking the financial burden off of it. He has earned the recognition he got from Canon with his presence in the photography scene.Being such a big player that Canon was willing to sponsor him is an attribute to his success. I would like to congratulate him on his success and wish him good luck with the new system.

+1

There are some cynical folk here, eh?!

He liked the new stuff he tried, and his contacts meant it was probably not as expensive for him as it would have been otherwise. He decided he liked it so much he'd continue using that gear.

The sponsorship by Canon is of the *show* and other ares of the business, not him personally (of course, they are his businesses to he ultimately benefits) but it's not Canon sponsoring him to shoot their stuff.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

sponsored links

40,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.