Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Corolla Beach N.C.

Mike ­ Dodd
48 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Jan 22, 2014 18:01 |  #1

My wife and I are going to be in Corolla in a couple of weeks for ten days.
Any sugestions for places to photograph or see ?
We live in kansas City Missouri. So anything specific to the history, geography
or culture of the area. Will be new and interesting to us. A must see with in a one or two day drive would be considered. I am hoping to get some local input .
Thanks in advance. Mike.

foster2380
228 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 30, 2014 19:45 |  #2

Hi Mike, my wife and I travel to the Outer Banks every summer. We've been to Coralla once, but most visits we go to Hatteras Island. The great part about OBX is you get great sunrises AND sunsets since its on a very narrow strip of land with water on both sides. In Coralla on the beaches you are likely to see some wild horses. They don't move around a whole lot so it was easy to get their pictures.

I don't know what type of accomadations you have lined up but I would recommend renting a 4 wheel drive vehicle as driving on the beach is permitted.

As for photography spots, I can't really speak to that as much because we spent so much time at the beach. There was a lighthouse there I think. Most of my pictures from the trips are sunrise, sunset, and birds.

Regardless, you'll have a great time I'm sure. Prepare for a fishing community/beach bum type of vibe. Nothing real extravagent but the basics are covered.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 31, 2014 05:40 |  #3

About half way down the page there is a forum with topics, I have been to Cherokee, NC but never to Corolla. Enjoy the trip.
http://www.tripadvisor​.com …h_Carolina-Vacations.html (external link)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 02, 2014 23:20 as a reply to  @ InfiniteDivide's post |  #4

We love the outer banks, and have traveled there quite a bit. The problem of course is that there is not way to answer this question, because it all depends on what you like to shoot. A secondary problem is that it is February, and I (and most people) travel there in the summer.

As for a preview of what to expect, I would agree with the previous post. A 4 wheel drive would be good, and the horses might be found... though not without the 4 wheel drive. The light house Currituck, is excellent http://www.towpathphot​o.com/lhnc (external link) is my lighthouse photos from NC. All of the ones I have posted are along the outerbanks and easily within a reasonable drive. Currituck is closest, then Bodie, Roanoke Marsh (replica but still nice), Hatteras, and then Ocracoke.

You are at the northern end of Rt 12. This road runs south from there all the way to the ferry that leads to Ocracoke Island. The draw back is that since the islands are narrow and long, expect all drives to have at least some length to them. I however have found them pleasant enough to not really notice the distance.

Nature... this is where winter can be a blessing or a curse. I have no first hand knowledge, but from what I understand the birding is spectacular during the winter. Might be migrant birds wintering, might only be during migration pass thoughs. Check out the Hatteras National Sea Shore, and the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. Those are the most likely. As for larger animals. Not really much. Remember you are on all sand. A random deer, maybe dolphins in the ocean (common in the summer, but ??? in winter).

Touristy places that might photo well... Jockeys Ridge. The largest natural sand dune in the East. It is big, and I honestly wonder what it would be like when its less than 100 degrees at the top (the only way I have been up there). There is some surprising wild life up there, and even if not, the view, and the uniqueness of the environment make for a pleasant few hours. (when we were up there last time the entire dune was covered with millions, really millions, of tiny little 1/2 inch frogs!They were all dead from baking in the sun, but it is proof that there is life... apparently the eggs get up there some how, storms, wind, etc and then when the conditions are right they hatch)

http://www.towpathphot​o.com/plnc (external link) (these are a few from the islands except the monument, and the mountain bridge)

Add to it the Wright Brothers Memorial nearly next door and you have a fun day. I have not tried it, but there is a shipwreck museum at the very far end of Rt 12 in Hatteras just before the ferry crossing. Also a decent Aquarium in Roanoke, and the Jamestown colony site.

There is also the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge on the mainland just across the bridge from Roanoke Island. It is always too buggy when we go, to even roll down the windows, but again, you will most likely have better results in the winter.

I really, really love my camera... AND I really love the Outer Banks. Sadly they 2 don't really go together. Keep it close, you may find something that catches you eye and turns out to be a wonderful opportunity. Definitely don't leave it at home, exploring the lighthouses is worth it in its self. But its no photo safari either.

One other note, once you get south of Whalebone Junction it gets DARK, very DARK. Take advantage of the sky if you can. Even just to look at it. Also consider shooting one of the light houses at night, as well as the Wright Brothers Memorial.

Lastly, not photo related, Once you get south of Whalebone Junction, Nags Head area, you will run out of civilization fairly fast, especially off season. Don't count on much, we always travel with snacks, etc. just in case we find ourselves a long way from anything open or desirable. Gas can be found in the villages south of the Oregon Inlet (though it might be fairly expensive), and you may find small grocery stores for basics, but understand that there just are not enough residents year round down there to support the businesses in the off season. There certainly will be people, just not very many. The differences between Duck, Corolla area (higher end mostly housing with some support businesses) The Kitty Hawk/Nags Head area (prime touristy area) and Rodanthe/Avon/Buxton area (very rural small beach towns) can be surprising.

Hope this helps, I am jealous. I wanted to go down there in march/april and see what the migration would be like, but every year something else comes up.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

BlackParrot
186 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 03, 2014 21:51 |  #5

My Mom lives there full time. Above are some great suggestions, Corolla itself has some beautiful wildlife. Unfortunately you just missed the landmark snow storm down there. lol There will be little to no vacationers this time of year, so you'll have easy access getting anywhere you want. The night skies, if clear are incredible like boufa said.
Good luck and have a great time!

1D Mk3 | Tamron SP 35/1.8 VC | Tamron SP 85/1.8 VC
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corolla Beach N.C.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.