Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 23 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before and After #505

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 23, 2014 21:44 |  #1

The game will last 7 days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only. Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.
If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #506".

Submissions end, Thursday, January 30th, 2014 at 10:30pm (D.C. time) and a winner will be announced.

Curious to see what everyone does with an 8.5 fingered Lincoln. :)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_0408_zps32​811a62.jpg (external link)

RAW- http://ge.tt/8eJ5P9G1/​v/0?c (external link)

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links
rsharp76
223 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:08 |  #2

I took up the exposure on this one, dropped out the saturation on all colors, used the paintbrush to bring back the bronze behind Lincoln, took whites way up to bring back some detail and a little clarity. Slight crop and straighten. Now it looks like a penny!

IMAGE: http://tex76.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/LightRoom-Uploads/i-nDjG4k8/1/X2/IMG_0408-X2.jpg

"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
6D, 1D MK III, 17-40mm L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 24-70mm 2.8 L , 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L
Flickr (external link)

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,624 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 24, 2014 09:32 |  #3

Adjusted exposure, whites, blacks and shadows in Camera RAW. Opened in CS6 and duplicated BG. Then used perspective to correct verticals and cropped. Used texture to overlay in multiply mode at 60% and added some additional detail to the scratches to make it more aged and converted to B&W. Smart sharpen and stroke to finish.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Krottski
126 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 24, 2014 10:02 as a reply to  @ rsharp76's post |  #4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1294.photobuck​et.com …1/lincoln_zpse6​f99096.png (external link)

Adjusted levels via curves
Removed background
Added flag
Added shadows
Cropped

Canon 60d - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC - Thrifty 50
"I may be a noob but I make up for it with a complete lack of talent"

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2014 14:54 |  #5

Wow, you guys are setting the bar high on this one. Nice work.

Mark J.
Gear

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 24, 2014 15:30 |  #6

^^^^ I was just thinking the same thing as i scrolled down saying "damn!!!" after each picture. Great edits.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

frenchfx
402 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2014 10:49 |  #7

IMAGE: http://frenchfx.smugmug.com/photos/i-qGc4gBQ/0/L/i-qGc4gBQ-L.jpg
Editing done in CS4
Cropped and straightened
Converted to b&w
Used NIK tonal contrast at 30%
Slight sharpen

My site Frenchfx.com | (external link)

Gen.Libeb
180 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 25, 2014 11:48 |  #8

Great Edits everyone

IMAGE: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/22/d498.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://imageshack.com​/i/0md498j  (external link)

Added a new layer for every color. added a texture filter , Blend mode to multiply, Adjusted opacity a little on all.
Layer masked & made each section to show up.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2014 13:28 |  #9

^^^^Brilliant!

Mark J.
Gear

Kruwreka
59 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 28, 2014 22:46 |  #10

Opened in PS5.5
Nik Viveza to bring up structure, saturation, contrast and brightness
Nik Silver Efex to bring up structure and contrast again, dropped brightness, blue filter at 50% and copper toning. Added vignette and burn edges.
PS 5.5 copied layer, set to overlay at 75%/75% and merged down, few specks removed with healing brush and straightened out the vertical/horizontal lines

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

C&C welcome and appreciated. No other way to learn right?
Jake | Canon 60D | 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 70-200mm f4L USM | 500px (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 29, 2014 12:46 |  #11

Hi all! It's been a long time since I've been back on POTN. Greetings!
Also, it's been a long time since I've used PS and need to brush up on my skills terribly bad!

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/BA_Lincoln_505.jpg

I just grabbed the .jpg off here.
In PS CS3, duplicated image twice.
Ran filter>other>highpass, radius 2 on the 1st duplicate layer, set blend mode to Color Dodge.
Same filter for the 2nd duplicate layer, set blend mode to Difference, 57% opacity.
Added a black and white adjustment layer using the High Contrast Red filter preset, masked out the wall behind Lincoln's head and various places for artifacts.
Added another black and white layer using the Maximum Black Filter preset masking out the wall to let the color show through.
Added a color fill layer with black, blend mode soft light, 55% opacity, brushed on the mask to lighten some areas.
Went back to the 1st duplicate layer and ran High Pass again at 1.5 radius to get rid of some edge crunchiness.
Stamped all visible layers to the top layer, ran surface blur radius 1, threshold 6, to very lightly smooth out some areas.
On this top layer, set blend mode to Vivid Light, opacity 15%, resized to 800 px on the long side for the heck of it!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2014 14:34 |  #12

What is it with your contests, Dawicka? You always get screwed having to make some very tough choices.:p:cool:

Mark J.
Gear

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 29, 2014 20:21 |  #13

I know, man.
This is rough.... :)
Great great great great work, everyone.

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 30, 2014 15:10 |  #14

IMAGE: http://digitol.free.fr/images/lincoln.jpg

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 30, 2014 15:12 |  #15

woow, some pretty wild edits..

Bas
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before and After #505
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.