Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was I naive or just stupid or both?

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 27, 2014 17:09 |  #16

Geejay wrote in post #16642148 (external link)
Time to go on a boating trip and accidentally lose your cameras in the lake and then claim on the insurance, assuming you're insured that is.. If not you could always throw yourself over the side..

That doesn't work, insurance don't pay.. But accidentally dropping it out of a window and still having the knackerred camera might help..

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 27, 2014 20:28 |  #17

Don't listen to these fools who advocate insurance fraud. That's as bad as the guy who told you to use WD40 on a camera.

Wait, I take that back. Using WD40 on a camera breaks it. Committing insurance fraud will land you in jail.

Geesh.

From now on stop getting your cameras dirty.

And do some research before you try something that some fool tells you to try.

And don't put the opinion of a man above your own.

The other choice is to be self-destructive and keep taking bad advice.

:(

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 27, 2014 20:38 |  #18

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16642677 (external link)
Don't listen to these fools who advocate insurance fraud. That's as bad as the guy who told you to use WD40 on a camera.

Wait, I take that back. Using WD40 on a camera breaks it. Committing insurance fraud will land you in jail.

Geesh.

From now on stop getting your cameras dirty.

And do some research before you try something that some fool tells you to try.

And don't put the opinion of a man above your own.

The other choice is to be self-destructive and keep taking bad advice.

:(

+1 exactly

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 27, 2014 20:52 |  #19

hania wrote in post #16642143 (external link)
many thanks for that - was a male photographer actually - and I have found that some men (still) are a bit funny when they see a woman with decent cameras.....

I was naive and stupid....hopefully will be a bit more cynical now!

But I have really been cheered by my camera club friends who have offered their spare cameras for my workshop ....

I highly doubt he was trying to make you brick your cameras. The amount of people I've encountered who think things like WD-40 and Marvel can fix anything is astounding. WD-40 is a water dispersal agent. It's safe for most surfaces, but they do state that polycarbonate and clear plastics should be avoided.

At this point I would recommend trying to flush it with alcohol. If they are bricked anyway it can't do anything but help. ;)

My other question however: did the camera shop actually open and inspect the camera, or did they just hear you say that you sprayed them with WD-40? The possibility exists that the cameras could just need some new buttons and seals. It may be worth contacting Canon and asking for their advice. Tell them what happened and see what they say. You could even try opening a thread at the Canon forum (Canon USA has a forum, don't know about where you are) and see what responses you get from actual employees.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 27, 2014 20:58 |  #20

By the way: I never answered the original question. Were you naive or stupid?

Neither. You're not naive and you're not stupid. You made a bad decision, and nobody else is to blame. Certainly don't pin it on men. Men are just wandering fools....like women. They say stupid things and make bad decisions. We are all responsible for our own decisions, regardless of who gave the advice.

I can't believe you brought out the gender card. Good grief. If you really believe that you are equal to a man then you wouldn't need to bring up gender in the first place.

You're either a good photographer or not. There's absolutely nothing about a man that would make him a better photographer than a woman, but the fact that you are thinking on the gender issue shows insecurity (in my opinion). Clearly you are concerned what the men around you think (and perhaps you are assuming what they think).

Stupid or naive?

Nope. Neither one. It might go much deeper.

And I'm surprised your friends in the camera club are so eager to loan you their equipment. Dirt and WD40 are both kind of bad for electronics.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 21:25 |  #21

BrickR wrote in post #16642047 (external link)
If only I could find a proper facepalm meme quickly

IMAGE: http://replygif.net/i/172.gif

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 21:27 |  #22

In all honesty, may be its just me, but I would never use WD40 just out of common sense in or on my camera. WD40 is a lubricant for mechanical things, not fine electronics like a DSLR.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 27, 2014 21:34 |  #23

Tony_Stark wrote in post #16642852 (external link)
In all honesty, may be its just me, but I would never use WD40 just out of common sense in or on my camera. WD40 is a lubricant for mechanical things, not fine electronics like a DSLR.

The WD stand for "water dispersant". It was never intended as a lubricant and functions very poorly as one.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 27, 2014 21:37 |  #24

I always verify with a couple sources before I do something I've never done before.

Geejay
783 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2014 01:47 |  #25

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16642677 (external link)

Geesh.

My bad... I guess sarcasm is hard to convey and not especially helpful either... Sorry.

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 28, 2014 01:58 |  #26

I doubt they would have meant for you to ruin your gear. I have a feeling they meant something else, but accidentally got it confused with WD40. Next time be sure to double check something before doing it.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 28, 2014 02:15 |  #27

Stupid.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 28, 2014 02:24 |  #28

i always wash my hands with soap before holding the lenses or the camera body
I know that some oils in the hands will damage the plastic or the rubber with cracks
how did you use the WD40 ?
this is only to open rusted metal screws

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 28, 2014 04:50 |  #29

I would see if anyone in the camera club is good at pulling cameras apart, and let them have a go on the cheaper of the cameras, the 7d. If they are able to fix things, then consider the same for the 5d3.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Furlan
765 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 28, 2014 05:31 |  #30

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16642870 (external link)
The WD stand for "water dispersant". It was never intended as a lubricant and functions very poorly as one.

Just for the record if you read the back of the can uses are listed in this order.
1- Lubricates
2- Protects
3- Penetrates
4- Displaces Moisture

sponsored links

13,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
Was I naive or just stupid or both?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.