Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was I naive or just stupid or both?

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 28, 2014 20:59 |  #61

I think the problem with WD-40 is that it's a solvent. It could have dissolve plastics/rubber/adhesi​ves.

I'd check with the local Canon dealer to assess the damage and repairability, instead of us arm-chair camera techs who know "everything".

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 28, 2014 21:37 |  #62

chantu wrote in post #16645740 (external link)
I think the problem with WD-40 is that it's a solvent. It could have dissolve plastics/rubber/adhesi​ves.

I'd check with the local Canon dealer to assess the damage and repairability, instead of us arm-chair camera techs who know "everything".

WD40 is not a solvent in the strictest sense. It is more a lubricant, in spite of the refined 50% mineral spirits in the recipe. It does not dissolve plastics and rubber material, I don't understand where all these myths come from?

While WD-40 Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40 Multi-Use Product before riding.

I don't understand what would have happened within the buttons, as it sounds like this could indeed be used to clean the contacts. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic per the manufacturer's website. So a rubber contact button over electronic contact plates should be fine.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Fitness ­ Freak
832 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 28, 2014 21:39 |  #63

My goodness Hania, I have heartburn just reading about what happened to your lens and cameras. I don't think you're naïve OR stupid, just human. We've ALL made mistakes and done things we wish we hadn't. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that you can't "undo" so there's no point in beating yourself up over it. I agree with the advice of those that have suggested that you send your gear off to Canon to see what they have to say about it. Good luck and keep us posted!

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 28, 2014 21:55 |  #64

^ I agree, OR tt may be salvageable for parts as an ebay listed clearly stating the cause and effects.
You may get far more from someone with a camera repair shop than you expect.
I sold a Canon zoom lens with a 'SCRATCHED" FRONT LENS / ELEMENT absolutely clear stated multiple times.
I got a sale within an hour as a BIN, apparently it was worth more than my price, and made for a quick sale.
I took test shots and didn't notice the damage on the photo, but it was clearly a scratch hen looking at the lens.
Bought for $10 locally and sold for $60 plus shipping An older canon USM zoom. 28-70mm i think, I forget.
I restated that there was a scratch again before shipping. Got great feedback from the buyer too.

What i mean is, it may be more profitable to sell the damaged camera, and buy a new one. VS the cost of repairing that one.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 28, 2014 22:26 |  #65

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16645823 (external link)
WD40 is not a solvent in the strictest sense. It is more a lubricant, in spite of the refined 50% mineral spirits in the recipe. It does not dissolve plastics and rubber material, I don't understand where all these myths come from?

Here's where the "myth" came form (http://wd40.com/faqs/ (external link))
What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

In one sentence, it seems OK, and the next it doesn't seem so.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

N2bnfunn
743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 23:24 |  #66

Contact Canon and see what they have to say about it.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 29, 2014 03:32 |  #67

chantu wrote in post #16645931 (external link)
Here's where the "myth" came form (http://wd40.com/faqs/ (external link))
What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

In one sentence, it seems OK, and the next it doesn't seem so.

No, it simply calls out two specific types of plastics vs the general class of plastics. It would be like saying something is safe for all vehicles, except for 4 door sedans and 2 wheel motorcycles. A button is nothing more than a plastic piece with a rubber seal sitting over a contact point. Most likely the spray pushed water and dirt farther down into the body causing damage, much like using compressed air into the buttons, or the spray got into the circuity and disrupted something. Still not good, and thus why you run alcohol thru the inside out so that you try to get stuff out of the body and not into it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 29, 2014 03:34 |  #68

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16646019 (external link)
Contact Canon and see what they have to say about it.

They will say what they always say about water damage. It won't be covered under warranty, and either they won't touch the repair, or it will cost a lot of money.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 29, 2014 09:27 |  #69

I really feel for you and what you've lost. I have a 5D3 and a 70D now but did have a 7D before that. I know I would be devastated if this had happened to me after following someones advice, wouldn't matter if it was male or female, and it had been incorrect advice. Thankyou for starting this thread as it has probably saved someone else from doing the same thing and FWIW I don't think you were naive, gullible or stupid or anything like it, you are just very unlucky that you followed incorrect advice. Maybe next time you'll do a bit more research next time though, just to be on the safe side.

I really hope you can get the cameras and lens sorted out for as little money as possible. I have my gear fully insured against 'almost everything' but I doubt they would cover this.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

VinylHanger
36 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2014 23:51 as a reply to  @ modchild's post |  #70

WD-40 should be relegated to the same place they should throw Phillips head deck screws... the trash. There are so many better products that truly don't harm equipment. I probably would have just tried distilled water first, or manually poked around the button with a needle to dislodge the bit of grit.

Don't worry though. How many of us have looked on the net, found the first thing we see and tried it. I mean, I haven't, but I'm sure others have. ;)

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 01, 2014 02:48 |  #71

I've nothing constructive to add that hasn't been said already, but what a terrible thing to happen, we all make mistakes now and again, hopefully we learn something every time and they are not as expensive as this one.
I hope the guy who gave you the advice made a genuine mistake and was not being spiteful, if so I can only hope karma comes round and well and truly gets him!

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 01, 2014 04:55 |  #72

I don't think you were Naive or stupid. You just trusted the wrong person and made a very expensive mistake. Life is like that.

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 01, 2014 11:07 |  #73

john_galt wrote in post #16645635 (external link)
any chance he was being sarcastic?

I was thinking this at first, but most people would follow it up by saying "JK" and give better advice"

But, if she didn't know the photographer, he could of been serious and thought he was giving good advice. Sure they're *******s in all lines of work. But, it's hard for me to imagine someone would deliberately give you that advice knowing it would destroy extremly expensive gear. It really comes down to his demeanor. Since we weren't there, it's impossible to tell what his intentions were.

Not sticking up for the bozo. But he might of actually thought it would help which is what scares me the most. If he's told you that, god knows how many others he's told.

I am so sorry about your situation. Please keep us updated on the outcome. I hope it isn't as bad as we think.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,790 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 01, 2014 11:31 |  #74

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16645823 (external link)

From http://www.atmos.umd.e​du/~russ/MSDS/wd40.htm (external link)
WD-40 -- WD-40 AEROSOL - LUBRICATING OIL, GENERAL
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
NSN: 9150011013727
Manufacturer's CAGE: 09137
Part No. Indicator: B
Part Number/Trade Name: WD-40 AEROSOL
===============
General Information
===============
Item Name: LUBRICATING OIL, GENERAL
Company's Name: WD-40 CO
Company's Street: 1061 CUDAHY PLACE (92110)
Company's P. O. Box: 80607
Company's City: SAN DIEGO
Company's State: CA
Company's Country: US
Company's Zip Code: 92138-9021
Company's Emerg Ph #: 800-424-9300 (CHEMTREC)
Company's Info Ph #: 612-275-1400
Record No. For Safety Entry: 002
Tot Safety Entries This Stk#: 002
Date MSDS Prepared: 01MAR90
Safety Data Review Date: 15MAR95
MSDS Preparer's Name: R. MILES
Preparer's Company: SAME
MSDS Serial Number: BXBPY
===============
Ingredients/Identity Information
===============
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: STODDARD SOLVENT; (ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 50
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: WJ8925000
CAS Number: 8052-41-3
OSHA PEL: 500 PPM
ACGIH TLV: 100 PPM

From http://www.atsdr.cdc.g​ov …toxsubstance.as​p?toxid=73 (external link)
Stoddard Solvent

CAS ID #: 8052-41-3
Chemical Classification: Volatile organic compounds
Summary: Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150-200°C.Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits. Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) the Public Health Service, or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 01, 2014 13:21 |  #75

Wilt wrote in post #16655386 (external link)
From http://www.atmos.umd.e​du/~russ/MSDS/wd40.htm (external link)
WD-40 -- WD-40 AEROSOL - LUBRICATING OIL, GENERAL
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
NSN: 9150011013727
Manufacturer's CAGE: 09137
Part No. Indicator: B
Part Number/Trade Name: WD-40 AEROSOL
===============
General Information
===============
Item Name: LUBRICATING OIL, GENERAL
Company's Name: WD-40 CO
Company's Street: 1061 CUDAHY PLACE (92110)
Company's P. O. Box: 80607
Company's City: SAN DIEGO
Company's State: CA
Company's Country: US
Company's Zip Code: 92138-9021
Company's Emerg Ph #: 800-424-9300 (CHEMTREC)
Company's Info Ph #: 612-275-1400
Record No. For Safety Entry: 002
Tot Safety Entries This Stk#: 002
Date MSDS Prepared: 01MAR90
Safety Data Review Date: 15MAR95
MSDS Preparer's Name: R. MILES
Preparer's Company: SAME
MSDS Serial Number: BXBPY
===============
Ingredients/Identity Information
===============
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: STODDARD SOLVENT; (ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 50
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: WJ8925000
CAS Number: 8052-41-3
OSHA PEL: 500 PPM
ACGIH TLV: 100 PPM

From http://www.atsdr.cdc.g​ov …toxsubstance.as​p?toxid=73 (external link)
Stoddard Solvent

CAS ID #: 8052-41-3
Chemical Classification: Volatile organic compounds
Summary: Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150-200°C.Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits. Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) the Public Health Service, or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

paint thinner, solvent, spirits, - corrosive stuff in a camera!

sponsored links

13,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Was I naive or just stupid or both?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.