Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was I naive or just stupid or both?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 01, 2014 13:29 |  #76

Keyan wrote in post #16643640 (external link)
If you have insurance you could try to make a claim if it covers accidental damage. They may or may not honor it - they will almost certainly drop your coverage if they pay out the claim.

It would probably be worth a trip to Canon to see if they can repair the damaged areas if the WD-40 has only affected the top switches and not the major electrical components of the camera.

This is pretty much everything I was going to say. My insurance policy is a rider on my homeowner's specifically for camera equipment and it covers accidental damage and has a $500 deductible.

My first step would be to pack it all up and send it to Canon - the experts in these things - along with a letter explaining what you did. It may be that they can replace all of the effected parts for less than buying a new camera, or they may offer to replace it with a refurb at a highly discounted rate.

After that, depending on how much they said it would be, I would turn it into my insurance company and hope that they pay the claim. And I wouldn't have any problem stating that "dropped in the mud" was the reason for the damage because had it not been in the mud, the WD-40 wouldn't have happened. They weren't properly usable after the mudbath.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
Furlan
769 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 01, 2014 16:37 |  #77

In defense of WD40 might it not be possible that the failure of these cameras was caused by the
initial mud bath they received. So many WD40 experts on this thread is how the WD40 myths get
started. No one but the company knows whats actually in it they never took out a patent on the
product for that reason. You have two pricey cameras so I assume your not destitute so pop with
a few bucks or pounds and have Canon or a reputable repair shop actually tell you the cameras are
junk.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,957 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2014 22:59 as a reply to  @ Furlan's post |  #78

I stopped using WD-40 years ago. OP, You made a bad decision, and probably in haste once you saw all the mud. You have many good suggestions by others. Do your best to revive yoiur gear. Things happen, and the best thing is to learn something positive and move on.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 02, 2014 01:27 |  #79

Furlan wrote in post #16656050 (external link)
In defense of WD40 might it not be possible that the failure of these cameras was caused by the
initial mud bath they received. So many WD40 experts on this thread is how the WD40 myths get
started. No one but the company knows whats actually in it they never took out a patent on the
product for that reason. You have two pricey cameras so I assume your not destitute so pop with
a few bucks or pounds and have Canon or a reputable repair shop actually tell you the cameras are
junk.

Didya take the time to read post 74, and the data on file in Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16655386&po​stcount=74

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 02, 2014 03:08 |  #80

Furlan wrote in post #16656050 (external link)
junk.

My own assumption is that it was not the WD40's chemical, rather the solvent made things worse simply because it washed the grit further in. The problem was absolutely due to the mud-bath. The cure is to dismantle the camera, clean it and then rebuild.

These things are not waterproof and need to be treated carefully.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 02, 2014 03:38 |  #81

hania wrote in post #16641975 (external link)
Rang my local camera repair shop & took them in - to be told that all 3 items were now scrap ...

I'm not sure if someone's already suggested this but, send it into Canon's official repair site. Surely the bad parts can be replaced. The really expensive components aren't affected.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 02, 2014 14:00 |  #82

NBEast wrote in post #16657189 (external link)
I'm not sure if someone's already suggested this but, ........

at least 25 times already.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Furlan
769 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 02, 2014 14:20 |  #83

Wilt wrote in post #16657056 (external link)
Didya take the time to read post 74, and the data on file in Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16655386&po​stcount=74

I did read it and all I see is fifty percent Stoddard Solvent. Whats the other fifty
percent of the solution in WD40?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 02, 2014 15:58 |  #84

Furlan wrote in post #16658298 (external link)
I did read it and all I see is fifty percent Stoddard Solvent. Whats the other fifty
percent of the solution in WD40?

WD-40 is primarily a solvent, with a bit of mineral oil lubricant, propelled by hydrocarbon gas.

Ingredient: STODDARD SOLVENT; (ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 50
---------------
Ingredient: PETROLEUM GAS (LIQUEFIED); (A-70 HYDROCARBON PROPELLANT)
Percent: 25
---------------

Ingredient: MINERAL OIL, PETRO DISTIL, SOLV DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC (SEVERE SOLV REFINING &/OR HYDROTREATMENT); (PETRO BASE OIL)
Percent: >15
---------------
Ingredient: NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
Percent: <10

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,845 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 02, 2014 19:32 |  #85

WD-40 only to be used for cleaning Nikons. :)

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 03, 2014 01:50 |  #86

vk2gwk wrote in post #16658907 (external link)
WD-40 only to be used for cleaning Nikons. :)

bw! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2014 02:13 |  #87

hania wrote in post #16641994 (external link)
so i think "stupid & naive is about right"....sigh...

Probably yes :-/

I think googeling would have helped - when one reads a lot in the search results. Not only the google result page.
I read and write a lot in lens repair forums, there it is common knowledge that WD 40 can be used to open old (rusted) lenses - but only when you are able and intend to disassemble more or less the hole lens afterwards!
Furthermore it is recommended not to spray directly, but to take a small amount of WD 40 on a cotton bud.

I think as long as you only sprayed a small amount of WD 40 into few camera switches, there is a good change to have the camera repaired.
Probably not from an official repair shop, cause they have to give warranty on the repair. And for this they need to replace anything that could have some WD 40 contact and could not be easily cleaned.
In case you have soaked your camera with WD 40 that much that it is dropping out of the memory card slot, it is most likely too late.

I have opened and repaird my EOS 5D this and last week. It is relative easy to replace some parts - for example the display unit. But there is a risk to damage the camera completely. A skilled electronics tinkerer could do this most likely - as long as he not touch the the sensor-assembly and prism-assembly for example.

My view on the photographer reccomending the WD 40: I could imaging this could be a ironic comment.
Probably I have even used such a phrase too - but only to people I know a bit.
Like these videos /pictures showing a (defective) DSLR with open camera mount washed in soap water.

I was not on a race in UK - and yes, I feel sorry for your very expensive mistake.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links

13,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
Was I naive or just stupid or both?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.