Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 06:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Girlfriends #2 - Juxtaposition

Qbx
Goldmember
3,919 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2014 06:07 |  #1

I thought the guy with his rather blasé look made a nice juxtaposition with the girlfriends. There was a lot of distracting colors in the scene so I went with B&W.
C&C welcome. (With apologies to the sentiments of FF)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,278 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 30, 2014 08:04 |  #2

I'm not sure what to make of this shot. As a slice of life, I guess it works. Without the guy, it looks like it could be an intimate scene. But with his presence, it looks like she's just taking off her jacket in a fast food joint. Although the wardrobe is interesting.

Technically speaking, it's a little noisy and the composition is quite busy.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,597 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2014 16:31 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #3

He's got boobs too.....

Oh.....uh....anyway, kind of an odd photo. Kind of an odd situation.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 30, 2014 18:51 |  #4

I like this concept, my take on this shot:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …friends-2_zps8aee2b54.png (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 30, 2014 18:59 |  #5

I kinda think it looks like she is showing of her new boob job.....lighting is good but the look on her face and the posture of the gal seated is nothing exciting for me.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 30, 2014 19:02 |  #6

My first reaction was "creepy".

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Izucantc
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 30, 2014 19:27 |  #7

I'm not sure what kind of message you are trying to portray with this image. It's a bit noisy though, what ISO where you shooting at?

Your best teacher is your last mistake -

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,919 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 05:52 |  #8

joedlh wrote in post #16649578 (external link)
I'm not sure what to make of this shot. As a slice of life, I guess it works. Without the guy, it looks like it could be an intimate scene. But with his presence, it looks like she's just taking off her jacket in a fast food joint. Although the wardrobe is interesting.
Technically speaking, it's a little noisy and the composition is quite busy.

I had much the same feeling about it - crop out the guy or not - slice of life sounds like a good genre I guess. Thanks for the fast-food comment; I think I'll clone out the cup. It was in an open-air bar at the beach. As a candid I had to take the clutter as it was.

saea501 wrote in post #16650856 (external link)
He's got boobs too.....
Oh.....uh....anyway, kind of an odd photo. Kind of an odd situation.

Yeah he sure does. Isn't it weird that a guy with a pair that many women would envy can flaunt his bare boobs in public but a woman can't ? Such an injustice I'd say!

tmoore323 wrote in post #16651173 (external link)
I like this concept, my take on this shot:

You cleaned it up nicely but maybe a touch too contrasty. Thanks Tmoore.

karobinson wrote in post #16651188 (external link)
I kinda think it looks like she is showing of her new boob job.....lighting is good but the look on her face and the posture of the gal seated is nothing exciting for me.

Yeah a better look would have been nice I agree. Thanks for commenting.

NewEnglandPhotographer wrote in post #16651197 (external link)
My first reaction was "creepy".

You must creep-out easily.

Izucantc wrote in post #16651250 (external link)
I'm not sure what kind of message you are trying to portray with this image. It's a bit noisy though, what ISO where you shooting at?

ISO 800 and it was cropped about 50% as I recall. The message was "juxtaposition" - the beauties and the beast as it were.

-- Image Editing OK --

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,933 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 31, 2014 06:05 |  #9

This is like a peeping Tom shot. And if I had to guess I would say you took it with long glass. Creepy.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,919 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 06:55 |  #10

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16652148 (external link)
This is like a peeping Tom shot. And if I had to guess I would say you took it with long glass. Creepy.

A peeping Tom shot in a public open-air bar - you can't be serious.

-- Image Editing OK --

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 31, 2014 11:32 |  #11

Qbx wrote in post #16652216 (external link)

bw!

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2014 17:24 |  #12

Qbx wrote in post #16652216 (external link)

I can't tell if you're serious. I obviously had the same reaction which is why I thought it was creepy. It appears your "spying" on some pretty girls from far away with long glass. Just because it was taken from a public place doesn't make it OK all the time. Legally it is obviously fine, but if everyone only did what was legal and not take morality or just simple common sense into consideration this country would be even sadder than it is.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 31, 2014 19:00 |  #13

So when do we get to see the re-shoot?

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 31, 2014 23:45 |  #14

You've got to leave the guy in the shot! It tells a great story: the girls just arrived at the topless bar and they're now getting "into" the appropriate attire. In this story, long glass is totally appropriate.

Thanks for sharing.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,919 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2014 06:23 |  #15

NewEnglandPhotographer wrote in post #16653621 (external link)
I can't tell if you're serious. I obviously had the same reaction which is why I thought it was creepy. It appears your "spying" on some pretty girls from far away with long glass. Just because it was taken from a public place doesn't make it OK all the time. Legally it is obviously fine, but if everyone only did what was legal and not take morality or just simple common sense into consideration this country would be even sadder than it is.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16652148 (external link)

The term “Peeping Tom” is someone who invades another's privacy as in peering into a window of someone's house, peeking into a public restroom, looking up someone's dress, and so on – with a prurient intent. I have never taken such pictures and never will. Furthermore, this photo is clearly not of that genre. To use this term here is disparaging to the photographer for what it implies.
“Spying” means secretly tracking (and photographing if you like) someone for a nefarious reason – with a premeditated intent. And “spying on pretty girls from far away” - these were adult women in a BAR. The blasé man with the mammarys was central to the shot, and in fact he makes the shot what I titled it - “Juxtaposition”. This is simply a candid shot.

I don't quite understand the obsession with “long glass”. Would the photo be less creepy to you if it were shot at 50mm? Hardly. I've never owned any lens longer than 200mm and this shot was taken at less. So this allusion is directed at the photographer not the photograph. And since you know nothing about the photographer, nor the subjects, nor the glass, I find both your critiques offensive, presumptuous, and insulting. Before spewing phrases like creepy, common sense, and morality, people might give their own moral compasses a bit of tweaking.

karobinson wrote in post #16653866 (external link)
So when do we get to see the re-shoot?

Stay tuned for the next installment.

cpam.pix wrote in post #16654380 (external link)
You've got to leave the guy in the shot! It tells a great story: the girls just arrived at the topless bar and they're now getting "into" the appropriate attire. In this story, long glass is totally appropriate.
Thanks for sharing.

Cpam, you pretty much nailed it on the head. Thanks for a sensible critique.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

17,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Girlfriends #2 - Juxtaposition
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.