Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 31 Jan 2014 (Friday) 02:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bird of Paradise

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2014 02:40 |  #1

This photo was taken on a slightly overcast day. No filters, no tripod. Processed in ACR and then photoshop.

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T3
Focal Length50mm
Shutter Speed 1/500 secs
Aperture f/1.8
ISO/Film 100

Thoughts, comments, critiques?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 04:07 |  #2

Looks good to me. A tripod would have made it better (sharper).

-- Image Editing OK --

billozz
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 31, 2014 14:04 |  #3

Qbx wrote in post #16652048 (external link)
Looks good to me. A tripod would have made it better (sharper).

hi ther do you mind if i ask how a tripod would make it sharper?

Fitness ­ Freak
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 31, 2014 17:01 |  #4

I like it, think it looks great! A tripod would have made it sharper in that using a tripod (or propping the camera on a solid object-basically something other than handholding the camera) is the only way to truly make a picture "tack sharp". However, I think it looks pretty dang sharp anyway.

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

billozz
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 01, 2014 09:42 |  #5

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16653566 (external link)
I like it, think it looks great! A tripod would have made it sharper in that using a tripod (or propping the camera on a solid object-basically something other than handholding the camera) is the only way to truly make a picture "tack sharp". However, I think it looks pretty dang sharp anyway.

thanks for the answer.....you see this is whare i get confused i thought so long as you used a fast enought shutter speed then the only way you would get movement is if your subject moves and a tripod isnt going to stop that, so i dont understand.....i see people using a tripod for wedding shots etc and am not sure why.

Fitness ­ Freak
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 01, 2014 10:56 |  #6

billozz wrote in post #16655172 (external link)
thanks for the answer.....you see this is whare i get confused i thought so long as you used a fast enought shutter speed then the only way you would get movement is if your subject moves and a tripod isnt going to stop that, so i dont understand.....i see people using a tripod for wedding shots etc and am not sure why.

A fast shutter speed does affect how much camera shake there is when handholding a camera, but a tripod (in conjunction with the use of a cable or wireless shutter release OR using the camera timer) or propping the camera on something sturdy and stable is the only way to truly prevent camera shake. There is another factor to consider that can also affect the sharpness of an image, even when using a tripod, and that's mirror slap. From the tests that I've seen done, mirror slap really isn't an issue except when using a telephoto lens. The obvious fix to this is to use mirror lock-up when shooting with a tele.

mike325
366 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 01, 2014 11:46 |  #7

billozz wrote in post #16655172 (external link)

50mm at 1/500 handheld is way fast enough to hand hold with no camera shake involved. A tripod really is not necessary for this shot.

50mm at f1.8 your DOF is very shallow, and it looks like you were pretty close to the flower, making any slight movement by you or the flower to throw your focus off. No fast shutter will prevent you from moving, but the tripod will. So your shutter was fast enough for handheld, but the DOF might require one.

Flickr (external link)
panicatnabisco: Sometimes money can buy happiness. Example; camera gear.

Fitness ­ Freak
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 01, 2014 12:34 |  #8

mike325 wrote in post #16655421 (external link)
50mm at 1/500 handheld is way fast enough to hand hold with no camera shake involved. A tripod really is not necessary for this shot.

50mm at f1.8 your DOF is very shallow, and it looks like you were pretty close to the flower, making any slight movement by you or the flower to throw your focus off. No fast shutter will prevent you from moving, but the tripod will. So your shutter was fast enough for handheld, but the DOF might require one.

FWIW, I agree...I was just explaining what someone else that had commented meant when they mentioned a tripod making a shot sharper. It's also why I said that I thought this picture still looked great and pretty dang sharp.

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 01, 2014 13:55 |  #9

Thanks for the comments! I am intrigued by the debate on tripod vs no tripod for this shot.

I thought 1/500s was good enough. I invite everyone to look at the photo on my 500px page. Press "m" when the page loads to load high res.

http://500px.com/photo​/59524800 (external link)

Personally, I think it is plenty sharp. Although the tip of the second blue "eye" is blurred. I am considering printing at a large size. Especially since there is a 40% off sale going on for large prints.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

Lunarnights
38 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 01, 2014 17:48 |  #10

Beautiful shot! Lovely crisp, bold colours.

mike325
366 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 01, 2014 22:33 |  #11

You should print it, it's a lovely photo.

Flickr (external link)
panicatnabisco: Sometimes money can buy happiness. Example; camera gear.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,276 posts
Gallery: 210 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 01, 2014 22:51 |  #12

Nothing wrong with the sharpness and DOF in this photo as far as I can see, although F/1.8 is pretty wide open and lenses can be sometimes a bit soft when at that aperture.
Nobody commented on the fact that there is a blurred stem in the background that sort of connects the tips of the flower petals. I find that slightly distracting and would have removed (or cloned out) that stem.

I agree with some other posters that a tripod might be better when working with very shallow DOF. When on "one shot" even some millimetres movement once you half press the shutter button (and focus was acquired) may throw you off - irrespective of shutter speed.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 03, 2014 16:00 |  #13

I think it's quite nice, sharp, colorful. I don't care for the rendering of the OOF area by the 50/1.8 though. Just not that creamy smooth you can get with a longer and higher quality lens. Getting to the point of not recognizing the background shapes at all would be great in this case.

Shallow DOF is a challenge hand held but as evidenced by your capture, not an issue here. A tripod is nice for this type of shot but you managed well without it - good for you.

I would expect that, other than sliding out of the DOF, you biggest obstacle would be the movement of the subject which 1/500 seems to have taken care of along with any camera shake.

I wouldn't consider it for print though, not with those stems in the BG. Correct those and print it large.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 04, 2014 22:02 |  #14

SmokeySiFy wrote in post #16655690 (external link)
Thanks for the comments! I am intrigued by the debate on tripod vs no tripod for this shot.

I am also intrigued. I often see people shooting in bright sunlight with monopods and tripods. It seems like there would be more disadvantages to that than advantages.

Anyone know of a thread where this controversy has played out already?

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

ejenner
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2014 23:38 as a reply to  @ ijohnson's post |  #15

I would use a tripod for this shot for one reason - composition. Not saying it is not good, but being able to set the camera in position, think about the composition and make small adjustments, think, etc.. is valuable. Plus you can take several shots with slight variations in composition. You really can't do that hand-holding.

However, if the plant is moving in any way at all you might still need a fast shutter speed. But of course since you are at ISO100 with the aperture you want and the SS is 1/500s with a 50mm, what else is there to think about? If it is moving too fast for that SS, you don't really have a shot of getting the comp or focus spot-on at that distance especially with that lens.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

2,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bird of Paradise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.