Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 01:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unedited (need your opinions)

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 01, 2014 01:35 |  #1

It was 9 in the morning when I took this shot, my family and I joined a marathon... When I saw the infrastructure behind him, its white paint caught my attention and asked my kid to have a pose on it... And this what I got...

Im looking for your overall opinion for this photo... Its unedited actually...

70D / 24-105 l

Thanks...

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/11982460494_4a38410663_b.jpg

sponsored links
oxygen45
150 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 01, 2014 07:03 |  #2

The glasses over his eyes doesn't work. Quite like the rest though I'd crop some of the space or have tried include the legs.

Canon 60D ~ Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon 55-250 IS II | Sigma 150-600 C

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 01, 2014 09:07 |  #3

I assume oxygen45 means the frames over his eyes.....my 1st observation....not good.
I don't think the pose is appropriate given the occasion and the attire and I agree the cropping is awkward.
Good expression, lighting, exposure and choice of background.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 01, 2014 19:49 |  #4

If anything it should be cropped tighter to eliminate his legs. Would make for a stronger composition. Would be nice if the background wasn't so over exposed.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 03, 2014 15:42 |  #5

It looks like you successfully controlled the light from all that white. Unfortunately the crop is a killer here. I could even live with the eye glasses cutting through the eye in a shot like this but not the awkward crop of the legs at the knees. Crop tighter at this point. Open up the frame if you re-shoot.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 03, 2014 18:30 |  #6

Your advices really sink into me and its helping me a lot guys... One common comment is mentioned and that is the way I framed the photo, another worthy lesson that I should include in my daily shoot. Do you guys take time in making a shot like this or is it instinct in you when looking thru the viewfinder in making a composition? I was once told, "Imagine with a squared eye first before peeping into the viewfinder when making a shot.", this is what I dont actually have right now and leads me into trial and error photo shoot most of the time... Hope you can put some inputs on how to develop this.... Thanks.

Shadow7
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 03, 2014 19:42 |  #7

I must admit, I probably would have made the same mistake as you with the framing. Just wouldn't have thought his knee as being relevant because I would be too focused on the face.
I'm thinking maybe I should get over my fear of "not fitting enough in the frame" because it makes the focal point smaller.
You can't do anything with the picture if some vital thing (like a knee :) ) has been cut off.
(just some musing going on here.)

Tracy

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 04, 2014 07:22 |  #8

How about a different crop and some WB, contrast adjustments?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1259.photobuck​et.com …8410663_b_zps3c​5b098c.png (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 04, 2014 10:39 |  #9

Not a bad crop from tmoore. Not sure what the building elements add to the photo... at this point, I'd just clone out the building element and turn the entire background all white.

Unless those cowlicks are part of his charm, I'd give him a slight haircut, too... those 3 strands pointing straight up.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2014 18:31 |  #10

tmoore323 wrote in post #16662325 (external link)
How about a different crop and some WB, contrast adjustments?

Better composition, but too much space above his head and too much shadow contrast added.

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2014 00:54 |  #11

Love the lighting over the skin but it simply looks too posed, right down to the eyeglasses blocking his eyeballs. Good looking kid!

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 07, 2014 03:33 |  #12

Shadow7 wrote in post #16661443 (external link)
I must admit, I probably would have made the same mistake as you with the framing. Just wouldn't have thought his knee as being relevant because I would be too focused on the face.
I'm thinking maybe I should get over my fear of "not fitting enough in the frame" because it makes the focal point smaller.
You can't do anything with the picture if some vital thing (like a knee :) ) has been cut off.
(just some musing going on here.)

You are right shadow, I basically concentrated too much on his face to get the sharpness I wanted which led me to forget the composition... A lesson to learn...:)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 07, 2014 03:35 |  #13

NBEast wrote in post #16670063 (external link)
Love the lighting over the skin but it simply looks too posed, right down to the eyeglasses blocking his eyeballs. Good looking kid!

Thanks... He made that pose all by himself actually, he was feeling great that day... :)

sponsored links

1,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unedited (need your opinions)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.