Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to improve my creative eye?

Firefloss
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 02, 2014 23:43 |  #1

Hi i'm a beginner and want to hear some advises on how can I EFFECTIVELY improve my creative eye. any suggestions? :)

sponsored links
JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 02, 2014 23:51 |  #2

Do a 365 project. Try to take 1 good picture every day. Make yourself do it. It will force you to practice, and you will get better. I have seen many people where their day 1 is.... ok... but towards the end they are amazing! However, you have to really try, and not just snap a picture and be like "k... im done for the day".

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 03, 2014 00:21 |  #3

First, buy some books on photographic composition and/or take a basic photography class at a local college, junior college, or photography club. This will expose you to some basic techniques and "rules" that will help you understand what makes a good image (or how to avoid basic mistakes). After that, it's hard to say what you can do to improve other than lots of trial and error. Unfortunately, artistic creativity isn't necessarily something that can be learned, it's more of an innate talent. You can certainly learn to avoid making what most people consider to be bad images but making exceptional images is not something that happens by following a formula or recipe.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,507 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 03, 2014 00:58 |  #4

Also follow the Composition & Arty Stuff thread in this forum. We've got several pairs of good eyes and, sometimes, the analytic skills to say what works and doesn't work about a composition.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Firefloss
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 03, 2014 02:11 |  #5

thank you for the replies guys. i'm thinking of 1 photography technique per week. what do you think?

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 03, 2014 03:06 |  #6

Forget taking pictures, and study art. Study the masters, and light, and composition, and how they use it. Watch classic films and modern films, and study light, and how they use it. Study sculptures, and form, and shape, and note how it's used.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 03, 2014 03:33 |  #7

Youtube is your friend. Find what style interests you and watch as many videos as you can find. Then go out into the real world and practice the heck out of what you learned.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 03, 2014 05:07 |  #8

Take one subject, person, animal, or object. Learn and apply the rule of thirds and place the item in each intersection.
Once you practice this technique, you can compare your own photos and see what style of shooting you like.
From there, try this with different subjects and side of photography.
This has helped both my macro and environmental portrait shots composition.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,572 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2014 06:04 |  #9

mikekelley wrote in post #16659557 (external link)
Study the masters, and light, and composition, and how they use it. Watch classic films and modern films, and study light, and how they use it. Study sculptures, and form, and shape, and note how it's used.

++++++1
Then when you do take pictures see how your images measure up. Set the bar high with your work.

Firefloss
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 03, 2014 07:06 |  #10

mikekelley wrote in post #16659557 (external link)
Forget taking pictures, and study art. Study the masters, and light, and composition, and how they use it. Watch classic films and modern films, and study light, and how they use it. Study sculptures, and form, and shape, and note how it's used.

Are you suggesting sir that before I learn to take pictures using my camera, I must practice taking pictures with my mind first?

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2014 07:27 |  #11

Firefloss wrote in post #16659750 (external link)
Are you suggesting sir that before I learn to take pictures using my camera, I must practice taking pictures with my mind first?

I think he is. I was 'technically proficient" within a very short time of starting photography, but I knew nothing about art and had no vision............basi​cally, my wedding and portrait work were simply "mug shots". My photography only improved when I started studying art and the works of others, it was only then that I realised what made many images attractive to me

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

tomj
639 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 03, 2014 08:38 |  #12

Good advice, in my opinion.

I work with a talented graphic (and fine - she has a BFA) artist to whom I would sometimes show shots I was unhappy with. She would frequently tweak them a little, usually just by cropping, and transform a very mediocre picture into something that looked very good. She was able to see what I couldn't.

Also, I know an experienced pro photographer who taught a beginning photography course a few years ago, I believe at a community college. He told me he had the students bring a sketch pad instead of a camera to the first couple of classes.

Flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,921 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 03, 2014 09:00 |  #13

Firefloss wrote in post #16659750 (external link)

Do both. Post #22: how do you guys deal with frustrations of getting bad shots?

Then, as you get more comfortable, try this in post #36: Learning: is there one particular lens which helped you get better

You could try something like this: A walk by the river. Put the cam on RAW; take only a 128MB card; one lens; don't delete. See what happens. ;)

Here's a variation on that. Ever played “chicken”? Just take only one frame of an event:
http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2009/archives​/2829 (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2014 09:43 |  #14

Firefloss wrote in post #16659326 (external link)
Hi i'm a beginner and want to hear some advises on how can I EFFECTIVELY improve my creative eye. any suggestions? :)

Read "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman. It's all about composition, with lots of examples to demonstrate various techniques for composing different shots.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,811 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2014 10:36 |  #15

Firefloss wrote in post #16659326 (external link)

Could you tell us what types of things you like to photograph most? What are you most passionate about, as far as subject matter is concerned?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

4,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to improve my creative eye?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.