Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...

moose10101
registered smartass
1,728 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 10, 2014 14:32 |  #46

duane0524 wrote in post #16679053 (external link)
Well I don't consider that a gift because why would you pay the fee than remove the security the fee gives you.

Because you're actually sending a GIFT to someone you know, and you don't need protection?

sponsored links
number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,952 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 10, 2014 14:51 |  #47

brettjrob wrote in post #16678943 (external link)
Again, to the OP and anyone else who's new to the Buy/Sell forums: posts like Shane's represent a vocal but small minority. There may be some moral gray area in using PayPal "Gift," but in practice it's quite common and should NOT be viewed as a red flag about the seller (or buyer). Don't believe me? Check the listings for yourself.

"Moral gray area", huh? Everybody does it, huh?

I agree with Skip. I figure if a seller or buyer prefers to cheat Paypal, they won't have any problem cheating me either.

No sale.

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

moose10101
registered smartass
1,728 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 10, 2014 14:56 |  #48

There may be some moral gray area in using PayPal "Gift,"

Really dark, dark gray. Zone I.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 10, 2014 15:21 |  #49

Get a grip.

You can tilt at windmills all day, but the reality is this: browse the FS listings here or at FM, and a large percentage offer PP gift as an option. If you want to ban everyone who's ever mentioned, "defended," or engaged in that practice, the used marketplace is going to dry up pretty fast.

Again, to the OP and anyone else who's new to the Buy/Sell forums: posts like Shane's represent a vocal but small minority. There may be some moral gray area in using PayPal "Gift," but in practice it's quite common and should NOT be viewed as a red flag about the seller (or buyer). Don't believe me? Check the listings for yourself.

Actually, nothing would dry up. You would see the prices listed go up by maybe a percent or two as people built the fee into their asking price. People PAY to list their stuff on FM and the board is loaded with stuff all day long. Amazon and eBay both charge more for selling something, and most people aren't willing to deal with Craigslist.

As to your grey area argument, how would you feel if you shot for a client and delivered the images only to be stiffed on some of your fees. You went to them with your signed contract and they told you sorry, they didn't feel like paying you. It was a grey area with them as to how much you were owed.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,372 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2014 18:47 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #50

gonzogolf wrote in post #16678350 (external link)
This is akin to saying if stores have enough problem with shoplifters they should take more aggressive measures to stop them. But if they don't, it must not be such a big deal.

and i think stores do exactly that...they run inventories to see how much shrinkage they have over the year, if it's a lot more than what they will tolerate then they'll work out ways to figure out whats going on to change it...either putting in cameras, or hiring more security, whatever...if it's affecting their bottom line enough, they are going to change it...i think you'd be hard pressed to find any major store that doesn't have any losses(either internal or from outside)...but i think most are willing to accept a certain low percentage

mikeinctown wrote in post #16678372 (external link)
DreDaze, you are wrong on all levels here and should just stop before your foot goes further down your throat.

A person has to go to Paypal and create an account. the government has not forced you to. the person creating an account has to agree to the terms and conditions. Those terms state that the gift option is not meant for merchandise. It is clearly spelled out. It is meant for people to transfer money from family members or other people who simply need to pay something off or GIFT money. If you cannot live up to what you have agreed to contractually, then don't use the service.

how have you stated anything that goes against anything i've written...my point is that when paypal came up with this 'gift' idea i'm sure they knew there would be some people taking advantage of the situation...that's what people do...I would think they have some measures in place to try and figure out if the 'gift' payment is costing them enough money to the point where steps need to be taken...when they reach that point i'd think they'd make the gift option a lot stricter/get rid of it all together

Shane W wrote in post #16678676 (external link)
Just like gun manufacturers... If they thought their product was used to kill people, they would just do away with the product then based on this wisdom, right? Right.

i don't see gun manufacturers giving a damn if people get killed with their product...they're probably happy that it causes more people to go out and buy guns for protection...paypal isn't gaining money from having the 'gift' option...if anything they are losing it...

it's more like gun manufacturers giving away free ammunition just for target practice, and then charging for hunting ammunition...if they found out people were using the target ammunition for hunting, don't you think they'd start charging for all the ammunition

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,372 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2014 19:13 |  #51

TooManyShots wrote in post #16678673 (external link)
Buyers have the right to pay with paypal gift or not and so as sellers have the right to accept payments with paypal gift or not. Personally, I am just skeptical about the whole regular paypal outside of ebay would offer the same fraud and scam protections as in Ebay. No one has cited even one real life example as to how paying with the regular Paypal outside of Ebay can still protect them.

here's one example:
https://photography-on-the.net …&highlight=payp​al+dispute

i'm not sure though, I would never use paypal gift because I've always heard of the protection you get using it the regular way...but, it was a whole lot harder to find that example than i thought...there were quite a few instances where the seller got screwed over from payments, as the buyer said their account was hacked, and ended up with both the item, and their money back...it seemed like it was more likely that sellers had issues, and didn't get covered.

when i see paypal gift though, i avoid it...or offer to pay the fees.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 10, 2014 22:49 |  #52

moose10101 wrote in post #16679076 (external link)
Because you're actually sending a GIFT to someone you know, and you don't need protection?

Good point, but that is not what is being discussed here.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

moose10101
registered smartass
1,728 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 11, 2014 05:32 |  #53

duane0524 wrote in post #16680134 (external link)
Good point, but that is not what is being discussed here.

Appropriate (and inappropriate) use of the gift option is exactly what's being discussed here.

sponsored links

4,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.