Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weddings. Do you give customers the RAWs ??

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 05, 2014 17:37 |  #1

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 05, 2014 18:09 |  #2

No...theyd have to pay serious dough for that. They cant even open, process, upload or share raws so whats the point? (well unless they know how of course)

Edit: if they want/need RAWs then they probably dont trust you, and you really shouldnt be working with high maintenance clients who dont trust.

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 05, 2014 18:38 |  #3

I probably would if they paid a little extra and had a legit reason. Most couples wouldn't know what to do with the raws, unless they're a photographer themselves. But then the question is if they want to do their own editing, that may indicate they don't like or trust the photographer's style, thus the couple should probably find someone's style that fits well with their vision.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2014 18:51 |  #4

^Fantastic point. I too would read a request for RAWs as an indication that the couple might not be on board with, at the very least, how I process. If I had this request at an initial meeting, I'd try to determine if this was true. If so, I'd probably decline booking them and suggest finding a photographer that produces work more in line with their aesthetic preference.

In general, though, no, I obviously don't return RAWs with any of my packages. I don't think my photos, however, are so precious that the originals must never see the light of day. For the right price and with the right agreement in place I'd absolutely sell my RAW images.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 05, 2014 18:52 |  #5

I have them as an optional extra if people want to buy them.

I get a lot of clients who are interested in photography and they know exactly what raws are and how to process them. My clients are low maintenance.

Peter

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 06, 2014 01:40 |  #6

Thanks guys :-)

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 06, 2014 16:15 |  #7

The only time anyone gets one of my RAW files is if they are a Graphics Artist working on behalf of one of my clients. In this case they are doing the post work and I allow them "temporary" access to the RAW file. Once they are done with it, they are required to delete it. Also in this case my agreements with my client specifically talks about the use of the RAW being for convenience and I retain all rights to the photo.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

ELIJAHWEDDINGS
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 06, 2014 16:23 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I’m a photographer and I got married a little over 3 months ago and guess what? I requested RAW’s from my local photographer who’s my age and I got them. Personally me? I probably wouldn’t give them RAWs

Western MA Wedding Photographer.
Email: info@ilvision.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2014 16:30 |  #9

I wonder... of those who wouldn't give raw files at any cost... what is your SOOC standard like?

Peter

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 06, 2014 16:46 |  #10

I wouldn't hire a photographer that would't give me RAWs...

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

everardo
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 23:10 |  #11

I'm inclined to agree, I think that is a disservice to clients to give them the raw images. I mean let's go through some scenarios

They want an archive - If you're a professional you'll do a much better job archiving their images on multiple hard drives, locations, etc

They want digitals - They don't need the raws for this, you can sell/provide better sized/quality images for them to share online

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16666504 (external link)
No...theyd have to pay serious dough for that. They cant even open, process, upload or share raws so whats the point? (well unless they know how of course)

Edit: if they want/need RAWs then they probably dont trust you, and you really shouldnt be working with high maintenance clients who dont trust.

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2014 23:30 |  #12

What about the photographers that don't shoot raw? (Not that I advice this). They would have no Rawls to give.

My contract states how many JPEG photos hi or low Rez , depending on the contracted agreement, the client is to expect. I usually shoot for 10 to 20% above that number for a "wow" affect. I always duplicate my cd's so if they need a duplicate made it can be done very easily...another "wow". And I bring protein bars for the clients as they usually forget to eat the day of the event...another "wow". They don't need my raws.

The only way raw would be given is if I did no post processing and was paid to walk away from the project. To me the raw file is my negative ... Or the roll of film.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Dinzdale40
252 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 07, 2014 13:53 |  #13

This is touchy because there could be multiple intentions by the client. I wouldn't mind a client wanting them so that they could have the "originals" for their safe keeping.

If they don't trust me to edit and I have my own look that is my "product," I wouldn't do it. However if I didn't have a specific look that I liked to be associated with my brand, then I would price accordingly and not charge them for editing. I would charge for increased rights to edit my file instead.

You can choose to get paid to shoot and move on. It's all about communication and getting these arguments settled up front. Discuss their plans for the files and pictures which can include how they plan to archive them and display them on the front end. Some clients probably aren't interested in the tech jargon of the file types etc, but you can at least try and get them to open up about their expectations to minimize these situations.

If you are at a spot where you need to package the shooting and editing together to put food on your table so be it. Look at how much work you have lined up and how much you make shooting vs. editing by the hour and come up with your own decision.

-Daniel

5DMk3

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 08, 2014 21:33 |  #14

Never have. And haven't been given a request for RAWs after they see the images I shoot for them. I've been asked for it before the wedding a few times and just say "It would be so expensive, you would say no" and that is as far as that conversation goes.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

greyswan
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 09, 2014 09:39 |  #15

One point |I have always wondered about is the decline in quality of jpegs after being opened may times. I can attest that they do decline, as I'm a graphic designer and see many 'used' images that begin to show artifacting after being opened fifty or more times (even at highest quality settings).

This means that the grandchildren or whoever (assuming jpegs are still used) will see lowered quality images of their most prized photos. Are we perhaps doing a disservice to clients by not providing lossless formats along with jpegs? (Edited tiffs, for instance).

Perhaps this is why some knowledgeable clients ask for RAWs?

Would love to hear opinions on this.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links

4,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.