Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Feb 2014 (Friday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advices please... (2)

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 07, 2014 18:29 |  #1

Hi guys..
I am not suppose to make this thread because I dont find the 2nd image good but my wife insisted that its good and led us to a debate. So, we are counting on your judgement...

The session now begins... Here is the story...
A few weeks ago, I posted an image and asked for advices (first image)... After trying the suggestions, with another bride, I ended with the second image...

Here is the issue... For me, I prefer the first image because of the shadow details and impression of the photo... I find the second image flat... But for my wife, the second one is better....

My question is, which is better? Include the critique please...
Thanks...

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/12069903086_1aafd21629_b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 08, 2014 12:55 |  #2

Is this the intended FOV or just a crop to look closer at the sharpness?

They both have their problems but the first catches a warmer moment where the 2nd, she's just looking.

The first has catch-light, the 2nd dull eyes. The first has better lighting albeit a bit warm and not as soft as could be, the 2nd is cool and flat (like you said).

I don't think I'd use either one at this crop. Printed as a head-shot at say, 4x6, I think the first would be acceptable if you didn't have anything better.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,314 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 09, 2014 14:53 |  #3

In 0xd1f00aad (the reason I do this is because some browsers apparently reverse the order of the images.), you must have been using a super-wide aperture on a macro lens. The nearer part of her eye lid is the only thing in focus. This is a large enough flaw in my view as to justify killing the image.

The focus is better in the second one, but the eye is lifeless. The white is dull and there's not enough contrast to emphasize the iris and the pupil.

The first one has a more pleasing expression as far as one can tell.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 09, 2014 23:57 |  #4

joedlh wrote in post #16676437 (external link)
... you must have been using a super-wide aperture on a macro lens....

Agree with all you said except maybe this. Even a modest aperture like f2.8, 200mm from even 5 or 6 meters would have this affect. 300mm even worse.

Although I'm as guilty as anyone; I think this business of having DOF so shallow that one eyeball is noticeably blurred is a fad.

Like this one. 5DII, 105mm, F4, 1/400th, ambient lighting, distance approx 5 feet: Only the left eye is in focus (sort of). The right one is blurry and her hair noticeably blurred. This works for a modest print size, but any bigger aperture and the blurry eye is just distracting (IMO - but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as what's become popular ... or is it just me).

IMAGE: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-JdpM9n8/1/S/i-JdpM9n8-S.jpg

100% crop here:
http://www.smugmug.com …fDzcMbr/1/O/i-fDzcMbr.jpg (external link)

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 10, 2014 17:11 |  #5

Thanks... There are two changes I made in these photos, 1st is replacing halogen lighting into flash (bounced) and apperture setting.(Made some micro adjustments too)... I was thinking if I retain the halogen light and use a speedlite at the same time, would the second image be better or it may make it worst due to different color temp of the two light sources? I like the sharpness of the second one but I didnt like the effect of the speedlite when shadow is in concern...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

812 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advices please... (2)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.