Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jul 2003 (Saturday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color of Paint for Small Home Portrait Studio

jhankins
229 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 12, 2003 19:55 |  #1

Hi All,

Silly question, I'm setting up a spare bedroom into a home portrait studio. What color/type of paint would you recommend? I have a couple able bodied teenagers who need cash and are willing to paint. :)

I have a 12 foot backdrop coming so I'm not intending on using the walls at all. Currently the walls are purple (yes purple, so even if they are fine, I'm painting them anyway ha ha) and somewhat shiny.

So my thoughts were a neutral flat paint? Any ideas?

---------------
EOS 1DS Mark II,24-70 2.8L, 85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 580EX, 550EX's, Alien Bees Studio Lights, 2 PowerMac Dual G5's, a MacBook Pro 17", Sekonic L358

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 12, 2003 21:43 |  #2

jhankins wrote:
Hi All,

Silly question, I'm setting up a spare bedroom into a home portrait studio. What color/type of paint would you recommend? I have a couple able bodied teenagers who need cash and are willing to paint. :)

I have a 12 foot backdrop coming so I'm not intending on using the walls at all. Currently the walls are purple (yes purple, so even if they are fine, I'm painting them anyway ha ha) and somewhat shiny.

So my thoughts were a neutral flat paint? Any ideas?

If you want to be able to bounce light off the walls, paint them white. If you don't, paint them black, but if you do be prepared to invest in lots of lighting equipment. With white walls, you'll have a hard time getting harsh lighting even if you want it because the light will be bouncing around a lot. These days, most folks like that. You can always use a black scrim if you want to kill the bounce effect from one wall.

I think in practice you'll have a hard time finding a truly neutral gray paint, and if it isn't exactly neutral, you make color balance and correction a real pain. That's why most folks either use black or white.

Peter Gowland's studio is all white, but I've seen studios that were black, too.

Rick "who doesn't have the luxury of choice" Denney

The List

ddgoldberg
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 20, 2008 14:35 as a reply to  @ rdenney's post |  #3

I work as a professional photographer out of a studio in my home which is a converted single car garage. I eventually opted to paint the walls and ceiling matte finish white and the floor 18% (approx.) gray. This was to enable light bouncing in a relatively small space and with limited lighting equipment, and it has worked out well.

The one thing that may be helpful to keep in mind is that there is not perfect studio lighting. All your equipment and the space you shoot in contribute to your final product and style. People who shoot in warehouses will certainly have a different style then people in garages but it will not necessarily be better. This is also true of the hue of your lighting. Modern capabilities for white balancing both in the camera and digitally make miniscule differences mute. In fact, I've found the limitations of my space and light to be a creative stimulus to force me to try things differently then I might have originally intended.

Hopes this helps.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 20, 2008 18:36 |  #4

My studio, when I had it, was painted a neutral flat white. That allowed me to bounce when I needed to do so, and if I didn't bounce I flagged the light off to get better contrast.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

16,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color of Paint for Small Home Portrait Studio
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.