Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 02:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I did a really bad job of blurring the background on editing a shot for DOF.

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2014 02:00 |  #1

Need help. This shot was taken back when I had zero knowledge(2007) with a 350D and a kit lens and has ZERO DOF(background blur.. I have tried to blur the background and it looks terrible !! as you can see :-(
Its not an amazing Shot but the girl has something about her !!
Is anyone willing to advise on how to do it better or do a better job themselves?
Here is the blurred background :oops:
http://cdn.purpleport.​com/i/p/365/36573-495706495.jpg (external link)

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
Furtim
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 12, 2014 09:46 |  #2

Pop up a link to the original? Full size etc.

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 12, 2014 10:30 |  #3

Well I don't profess to be an PS expert, but since I am learning (well trying to teach myself) I thought I would have a quick and dirty go at this With PSE....hope you don't mind...
I duplicated the layer and created mask of the girl and edit the mask to use gradient fill to protect part of the road in same focal plane as girl, I then applied guassian blur, I also tried to lighten the distracting shadow on the road and dodge the girls face to bring out some shadow detail and applied some hue/saturation adjustment to the background.

This is only a quick edit whilst at work so the selection and masking might not be the most accurate but it would be interesting to get some feedback on the ideas attempted.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 12, 2014 12:33 as a reply to  @ birderman's post |  #4

i think bluring the background in post processing most often looks weird. better approach is to replace the background . here is one attempt . it is a quick edit so it has many flaws but if one spend little bit more time in post processing , it is possible to avoide those flaws.

HOSTED PHOTO

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 12, 2014 12:53 |  #5

I'm not sure what the DOF was like in the original, but here is a quick fake using the Lens Blur filter in PS with the rough depth map inset in the image. The blur is a little too much, but I did it that way so you could see what was going on - the blur I applied was on top of that in the original posting, so that also adds to the slight strangeness.

In my depth map, the area of the gradient at the mid gray should probably be pushed further back, to an area between the middle group of 5 people sand the background group of people.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 12, 2014 13:04 |  #6

kirkt wrote in post #16684075 (external link)
I'm not sure what the DOF was like in the original, but here is a quick fake using the Lens Blur filter in PS with the rough depth map inset in the image. The blur is a little too much, but I did it that way so you could see what was going on - the blur I applied was on top of that in the original posting, so that also adds to the slight strangeness.

In my depth map, the area of the gradient at the mid gray should probably be pushed further back, to an area between the middle group of 5 people sand the background group of people.

kirk

That is the best way to do it and the way that I would do it when needed. One thing to note is that you will need to basically clone out the subject and have it on another layer, otherwise you will end up with a weird halo blur around the subject.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 12, 2014 14:56 |  #7

I usually choke the mask around the subject 1px and the feather 1 px and this suppresses the halo - the key is to use the pen tool and make an accurate mask of the main subject. The background subjects can be masked very loosely with the brush tool even.

kirk

Kirk
---

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 13, 2014 04:41 |  #8

kirk

Forgive my ignorance, but can you elaborate on how the depth map is created, I assume different shades of grey are used in the mask to represent different distance from focal plan, but how do you determine which shade of grey to apply to which parts of the image ? Do you have any links to any tutorials on this method ?
TIA

Birderman
London, UK

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2014 04:57 |  #9

Furtim wrote in post #16683616 (external link)
Pop up a link to the original? Full size etc.

Please PM me your e-mail and I will send you the original. Thanks

Nick

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2014 04:58 |  #10

birderman wrote in post #16683726 (external link)
Well I don't profess to be an PS expert, but since I am learning (well trying to teach myself) I thought I would have a quick and dirty go at this With PSE....hope you don't mind...
I duplicated the layer and created mask of the girl and edit the mask to use gradient fill to protect part of the road in same focal plane as girl, I then applied guassian blur, I also tried to lighten the distracting shadow on the road and dodge the girls face to bring out some shadow detail and applied some hue/saturation adjustment to the background.

This is only a quick edit whilst at work so the selection and masking might not be the most accurate but it would be interesting to get some feedback on the ideas attempted.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by birderman in
./showthread.php?p=166​83726&i=i194386055
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Thanks but abit too much blur, does look real enough.. Thanks again

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2014 05:02 |  #11

nittaya wrote in post #16684022 (external link)
i think bluring the background in post processing most often looks weird. better approach is to replace the background . here is one attempt . it is a quick edit so it has many flaws but if one spend little bit more time in post processing , it is possible to avoide those flaws.

I would like to keep it in the original Photo. Thanks

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2014 05:04 |  #12

kirk

This one is quiet good. Do you have it without the corner Picture?
Or I can send you the original without blur..? Please PM me with your E-mail. Cheers

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 13, 2014 07:33 |  #13

A Depth Map tutorial here on POTN> click

by POTN member\moderator, rpolitsr

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 13, 2014 09:03 |  #14

Just tried this depth map tutorial, interesting as its for PS CS, and since I was using PSE 12 do not seem to have channels pallet, however it appears the depth map can be applied to layer mask and with lens blurr filter just select Layer Mask as the depth map source. It also appears to concur that I was on the right lines already for creating a depth map albeit in a slightly different and probably not as effective way. I guess that's the power and advantage of these forums, there is always someone that can ensure we are on the right path.

Birderman
London, UK

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 13, 2014 11:38 |  #15

depth mapping is the proper way to go about it

lol - nittaya, that's a pretty big girl. kinda hot... but big.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
I did a really bad job of blurring the background on editing a shot for DOF.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.