Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

gitzo legs now which Ball head?

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Feb 13, 2014 09:59 |  #16

You must not have told them that you do some hiking. If you want a lighter set-up, the RRS BH-40 should be fine for your lenses, current and future. If you really want a large ballhead, but want to save some weight, look at ath Arca Swiss Z1. You are not getting extra stability with the BH-55, only extra weight.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 10:03 |  #17

I think the Gitzo 3532S is a great choice, but the RRS TVC-33S also has a very suitable max height for you. It's slightly smaller than the Gitzo, but you need to add the ballhead height and base of camera to viewfinder to see where you end up. There's a little less than $50 difference in the prices and virtually no weight difference. Given that Gitzo customer service is so miserable I'd lean to the RRS tripod provided its max height is OK for you, and I say that as a Gitzo user with experience of their lousy CS.

spooled180 wrote in post #16684403 (external link)
Acratech gp
Arca Swiss z1 sp
Rrs bh-55 only for its low profile and can be bought with the lr altogether.

Can I really go wrong with either?

Not really. The only issue is the BH-55 which is definitely on the heavy side at 1.9lbs. I use an Arca-Swiss Z1 with a RRS leveling base on my Gitzo 3541LS and the Z1 with the leveling base weighs 1.8lbs. I've just bought an Acratech GP to replace the Z1 and leveling base for travel and now my rig is much lighter. If you're going to be hiking with this rig the Acratech is a great solution. It needs hardly any maintenance either; great for extreme environments.

The Acratech GP requires an Acratech clamp. I use both Acratech and RRS lever clamps are both are just fine; I have no preference. The Acratech clamp is much lighter than the RRS clamp though, and it has a lock. I prefer screw clamps to lever clamps but I didn't like the Acratech screw clamp at all so if you buy the GP get the lever clamp.

I've recently been back and forth on the phone with the folks at Acratech and what a difference to Gitzo; it's just so nice to be able to talk to a reasonably friendly person who actually knows what they're talking about.

~Peter

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,889 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2014 14:53 |  #18

For hiking

This is a very highly recommended setup by many here on POTN (fairly light)

Gitzo 1541 Markin M10 /RSS B2 AS II clamp

Happy shooting !!

My Gear flickr (external link)

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 16:51 |  #19

All hiking aside. So would you not consider the 23 and just take the 33s for a total future proof setup? I can always buy a travel setup later down the road.
The z1 I was turned off because of the Loctite issue and would like to avoid sending anything in for removal to add a qr given it's great reputation.
Still considering the z1 though.

peter_n wrote in post #16686407 (external link)
I think the Gitzo 3532S is a great choice, but the RRS TVC-33S also has a very suitable max height for you. It's slightly smaller than the Gitzo, but you need to add the ballhead height and base of camera to viewfinder to see where you end up. There's a little less than $50 difference in the prices and virtually no weight difference. Given that Gitzo customer service is so miserable I'd lean to the RRS tripod provided its max height is OK for you, and I say that as a Gitzo user with experience of their lousy CS.

What problems might I run into or need gitzo cs for? What issues did you encounter with your legs that needed cs support? I might be able to pick up a 3532s for 750ish. That would save close to 150 over the 33s of rrs.

All help and advice is always taken into consideration and absolutely appreciated.

-Andrew

Canon: Flm: Kirk: Rrs: Sirui: Vanguard

sawsedge
848 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2014 17:56 |  #20

The loctite issue for the Z1 isn't a big deal. You can order a Z1 from Precision Camera Works. They will remove the clamp for $30. If you buy another clamp through them, they will discount the work if you let them keep the original clamp. Order a Z1 + RRS LRII from them if that's the head you want.

Or, get one from Wimberley with their clamp.

Or do what a few of us have done, and order one of these: http://www.adorama.com​/AWMBZ1SP38.html (external link) Many don't have loctite. Mine didn't. 11mm or 7/16 thin wall socket removes the platform.

- John

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2014 18:13 |  #21

Q10 pairs up nicely with the gitzo 2 series.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 18:34 |  #22

sawsedge: Thank you for the info. If I do decide to go with the z1 I might do the adorama route. I think right now it comes down to which RRS tripod. 23, or 33s. 33s comes in at .8lbs heavier but will also be my main tripod so that may not be an issue. Any reason to pick a 2 series over a 3?

sawsedge
848 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2014 18:51 |  #23

spooled180 wrote in post #16687608 (external link)
I think right now it comes down to which RRS tripod. 23, or 33s. 33s comes in at .8lbs heavier but will also be my main tripod so that may not be an issue. Any reason to pick a 2 series over a 3?

Just size and weight, I think.

- John

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 19:08 |  #24

sawsedge wrote in post #16687649 (external link)
Just size and weight, I think.

Only thing I have noticed was: tvc-23 compared to tvc-33s
23 = 3" more max height
23 = 3.2lbs compared to 4.0lbs.
23 = 40lb compared to 50lbs load
23 = $65 cheaper

Assuming base on 33s is better suited for a bh-55,z1,etc. Better weight distribution compared to any on a 2 series?

So is the 33s worth the extra 65.00 which may not seem like much but can assist in other items.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 21:18 |  #25

spooled180 wrote in post #16687409 (external link)
What problems might I run into or need gitzo cs for? What issues did you encounter with your legs that needed cs support? I might be able to pick up a 3532s for 750ish. That would save close to 150 over the 33s of rrs.

Andrew, I've actually never had a problem with any of my Gitzos, and I've had three so far. What I was doing was being proactive ordering spare parts and they weren't coming in. I ordered three packages of an identical part, and they came in dribs & drabs over 4 months. No communication, no interest, and no explanation when the order was finally fulfilled. I'm now kitted for more-or-less what I might need in an emergency, and for all of my issues with Manfrotto Distribution I love the tripod and hope that it stays in one piece for a very long time.

I bought my new Gitzo 3-series systematic for almost half the price of the TVC-33 which is the RRS equivalent. So far so good. However if it breaks I'll likely get a TVC-33.

spooled180 wrote in post #16687700 (external link)
So is the 33s worth the extra 65.00 which may not seem like much but can assist in other items.

Absolutely.

~Peter

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2014 21:50 |  #26

Peter thanks for the breakdown on that. After I sized myself up with another tripod the extra inches of the tvc-23 will be needed. Does it make sense to have a ballhead such as a bh-55 or z1 on that 2 series or use a smaller head? This will be my primary tripod thats why im looking at a beefier head. if necessary later on look into a travel setup.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2014 08:27 |  #27

spooled180 wrote in post #16688033 (external link)
Does it make sense to have a ballhead such as a bh-55 or z1 on that 2 series or use a smaller head?

The 2-series has an elevated circular platform 53mm in diameter on top of the base. I believe its function is to raise the BH-40 ballhead above the base so that the lever-type ball locking knob doesn't foul it. The BH-55 has a 73mm base diameter and the Z1 has a 71mm diameter. There's about a 10mm overhang on each side of the raised platform if you put one of those heads on a RRS 2-series. This post of a couple months ago illustrates how it looks. This may bother you but then again it might not.

I think the weight of a larger ballhead would be a bigger issue, at least for me. In particular, the BH-55 is almost 2lbs and my Z1 and leveling base weigh almost that and they make my Gitzo 3-series feel top heavy. A lot of people here absolutely love the BH-55 and they are reputed to be bulletproof, but it does need to go to the fat farm.

WRT a smaller head the RRS kit package for their 2-series tripods comes with a BH-40 so that's clearly their recommendation for that tripod. You can get an Acratech GP model, the GP-S with a 53mm base diameter for smaller tripods. I don't know whether the BH-40 or GP-S will comfortably handle a 400mm lens or not, although Acratech seems to think the head can handle a 400mm. The BH-40 has a 40mm diameter ball and the GP-S has a 38mm ball and of the two I'd choose the GP-S because of the additional pseudo-gimbal and the leveling functionality.

~Peter

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2014 11:55 |  #28

Peter, where are you finding specs on rrs? Diameters and such. Can't find anything except info I listed. Thinking I would be bothered by it feeling top heavy like you mentioned. Sounds like the GP-S might be the way to go.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2014 13:21 |  #29

spooled180 wrote in post #16689252 (external link)
Peter, where are you finding specs on rrs? Diameters and such.

The specs are in their printed catalogs. When you become a customer they send out 2 or 3 per year.

If you decide to invest in a GP-S give Acratech a call first and ask if the head is OK for a 400mm lens, and keep the name of the person you talk to.

~Peter

spooled180
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2014 20:01 |  #30

Talked with Scott today from acratech and suggested the GP head. Thank you Peter for all your help and advice. looks like the GP will be the final verdict.

sponsored links

11,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
gitzo legs now which Ball head?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.