Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shot clock - Remote - Strobed

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 12, 2014 20:46 |  #1

Local girls HS Bball tourney last weekend. I decided to try a remote camera for the first time at Bball. Mounted above the backboard above where a shot clock is mounted in many gyms. Worked well enough I may try it for the boys tourney next weekend.

Here are a few of the shots I kept. C&C appreciated.

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/Gallery/i-ZKPBSfk/1/XL/Melfort%20vs.%20Carlton-19-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/Gallery/i-m4Rw3Rp/1/XL/Melfort%20vs.%20Carlton-46-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/Swift-Current-vs-Meadow-Lake/i-JJBc98J/1/XL/Swift%20Current%20vs.%20Meadow%20Lake-35-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/Carlton-vs-Swift-Current/i-3WkLJVD/0/XL/Carlton%20vs.%20Swift%20Current-28-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/Weyburn-vs-St-Mary/i-FC6XCjp/0/XL/Weyburn%20vs.%20St.%20Mary-19-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/NBCHS-vs-Warman/i-fC5Zt4X/0/X2/NBCHS%20vs.%20Warman-30-X2.jpg

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/NBCHS/2013-14/Senior-Girls-Basketball/Viking-Invitational-Tournament/St-Mary-vs-Warman/i-ZTtFKJF/0/XL/St.%20Mary%20vs.%20Warman-1-XL.jpg

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links
tmalone893
Goldmember
2,020 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 12, 2014 21:06 |  #2

Awesome shots! Would love to see a shot of the setup. Can you give some details on the camera, lens, remote, etc..

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 12, 2014 21:07 |  #3

Certainly a great angle with great potential. 3, 5 and 6 work for me. You'll have better luck with the guys from that angle.

I've always wanted to mount a shot-clock remote, but NCAA rules make it difficult. It's a matter of making a mount that goes around the shot clock, or piggy-backing off a CBS Sports shot-clock camera mount.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

xochi2
616 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2014 21:38 |  #4

Love the view! #4!!! Ball and Face within the net!!! WOW! :cool:

Xochi2

rdalrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 13, 2014 18:54 |  #5

tmalone893 wrote in post #16685296 (external link)
Awesome shots! Would love to see a shot of the setup. Can you give some details on the camera, lens, remote, etc..

Ok, here is the setup. I only have one picture of it.

The camera is a 1D III with a 16-35 II. Since this backboard didn't actually have a shot clock mounted above it, I mounted the camera to one of the 2"x2" steel tubes of the backboard mount with a super clamp and a magic arm. It was about 4 ft above the top of the backboard. There was a strap on the camera wrapped tight around the steel tube and the magic arm and clamp had a steel safety cable run through them and around the 2"x2" steel tube.

The camera settings were 1/320, f/4, ISO 1600. I triggered the camera with PW III's. One gaffer taped to the magic arm and the other I was handholding. There was a cybersync transmitter in the hot shoe which then triggered the Einstein strobes.

Since I was shooting the girls, and they don't get up too close to the basket, I set focus on the face of a person about 6ft tall standing on the orange horizontal line you see in the pics above.

All in all, it probably took me an hour to mount it. Considering I was up and down the ladder about a dozen times or so. I think I could mount it now again in 15 mins or so.

IMAGE: http://rdalrt.smugmug.com/Photos/Junk-Drawer/Stuff/i-qVLpqL9/0/XL/1DXA0719-XL.jpg

My Junk ;)

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,020 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 13, 2014 22:00 |  #6

rdalrt wrote in post #16687662 (external link)
Ok, here is the setup. I only have one picture of it.

The camera is a 1D III with a 16-35 II. Since this backboard didn't actually have a shot clock mounted above it, I mounted the camera to one of the 2"x2" steel tubes of the backboard mount with a super clamp and a magic arm. It was about 4 ft above the top of the backboard. There was a strap on the camera wrapped tight around the steel tube and the magic arm and clamp had a steel safety cable run through them and around the 2"x2" steel tube.

The camera settings were 1/320, f/4, ISO 1600. I triggered the camera with PW III's. One gaffer taped to the magic arm and the other I was handholding. There was a cybersync transmitter in the hot shoe which then triggered the Einstein strobes.

Since I was shooting the girls, and they don't get up too close to the basket, I set focus on the face of a person about 6ft tall standing on the orange horizontal line you see in the pics above.

All in all, it probably took me an hour to mount it. Considering I was up and down the ladder about a dozen times or so. I think I could mount it now again in 15 mins or so.

QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks Brent!

My Gear

flickr (external link)

p3av8or
226 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2014 06:11 |  #7

Great shots and nice setup. I see you have the safety cables, too. Don't forget to mention those! Hate to have someone try to duplicate your efforts and hurt someone.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude." John Wayne, (Rio Bravo)
Lot's o' Canon gear with a couple Sigma lenses to boot
Oly EM5 Mk II and EM1 mk II and a handful of lenses.
www.tweddlephoto.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …raphy-LLC/211181952284213 (external link)

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,020 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 14, 2014 08:43 |  #8

p3av8or wrote in post #16688517 (external link)
Great shots and nice setup. I see you have the safety cables, too. Don't forget to mention those! Hate to have someone try to duplicate your efforts and hurt someone.

Safety cables and INSURANCE.:D

My Gear

flickr (external link)

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 16, 2014 16:43 |  #9

#4.......superb, great job....thanks for sharing the details

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 17, 2014 06:54 as a reply to  @ soccersnaps's post |  #10

These are really nice Brent. I love the view of the player's eyes and the colors and image quality is great. It's really neat to see you and Mark (MSW) mount cameras on/near the backboard for a fresh perspective for high school basketball.

Your upcoming efforts with the boys should be even better. Can't wait to see the images.

Thumbs up!

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

rdalrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 17, 2014 17:14 |  #11

Thanks Phil. Appreciate it from someone like yourself that has contributed so much to this forum.

My Junk ;)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 18, 2014 02:23 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #12

What focal length did you use for your 16-35 and what changes, if any, will you make for the boys?

One suggestion: You mention that you were about 4ft above the top of the backboard. The backboard is about 2 feet tall. Go to the DOF calculator with your focal length, type of camera body (1D III), f-stop (here f/4.0) and pick the focus distance and DOF that best suits your needs. Pre-focus your lens on the ground at the desired distance, set the lens to manual focus, and use gaffer tape to immobilize the focus ring so you don't inadvertently move it as you mount your gear.

You obviously didn't have any trouble with focus but I know from experience that some photographers (like me) can be klutz-y and need to gaffer tape that focus ring. :oops:

Phil

Gear List

rdalrt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 18, 2014 08:43 |  #13

These shots were at 16mm. For the boys I have been debating about maybe zooming a little bit. 20-24mm?

Good idea about pre-focus on the ground. Will definitely do that if I am mounting it by myself. Last time I had a coach stand where I wanted to focus and used 10x live view with the camera already mounted.

This time I was thinking about setting focus a little higher (closer to rim) as the boys will actually get a little air time. The girls never get too far off the floor. :) But in looking at these pics, 16mm at f/4, the DOF looks pretty large. The rim to the faces seems to already be in pretty good focus. According to the DOF calculator, I had focus set at pretty much the hyperfocal distance for this setup. So it makes sense that most everything from rim to floor is in focus.

I was going to gaffer the focus and zoom rings, but forgot last time. Will remember to this time.

My Junk ;)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 18, 2014 11:08 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #14

Sounds great. Can't wait to see the boys shots. Let's hope for some good action at the rim.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot clock - Remote - Strobed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.