Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 13 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible 7D II specs released?

howiewu
629 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2014 12:40 |  #31

gjl711 wrote in post #16691372 (external link)
Actually, a leak from a competitor caries quite a bit of weight. If this camera is so close to release as some seem to think, (being used a Sochi and such) I'm sure all in the business have had their look.

Not a "a leak from a competitor", a rumor about a leak from a competitor. How much weight does that carry?

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2014 13:19 |  #32

howiewu wrote in post #16691444 (external link)
Not a "a leak from a competitor", a rumor about a leak from a competitor. How much weight does that carry?

I think the rumor is being generated from the leak. If you dig a bit it comes from Panasonic's media presentation for their GH4. One could argue that Panasonic meant to say the 7D and not the 7DII, or they got the specs wrong, or many other things but i think all agree, if true, the 7DII is going to look really lame against the competition unless they really hit it out of the ballpark in some other way..

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 15, 2014 13:38 |  #33

gjl711 wrote in post #16691372 (external link)
Actually, a leak from a competitor caries quite a bit of weight. If this camera is so close to release as some seem to think, (being used a Sochi and such) I'm sure all in the business have had their look.

Not even close. Competitors rarely know about stuff before it hits the rumor sites

gjl711
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2014 14:03 |  #34

vengence wrote in post #16691546 (external link)
Not even close. Competitors rarely know about stuff before it hits the rumor sites

I guess there we will disagree. Having been in some tech business or another for my whole career, I have always known about my compeditors products even without corporate espionage. Tech fairs, white papers, attending ISO meetings, people talk. And that's me in engineering. People in marketing and sales are way more connected especially if your talking about a product that is ready for release or has already been out in public as is rumored with the 7DII.

Reider
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 15, 2014 17:43 |  #35

gjl711 wrote in post #16689419 (external link)
After reading some of the articles link to the OP post article, why am I sensing that the beg new feature for the 7D is going to be 4K video?

4K video @ 30fps with the duel pixel CMOS AF system would get my attention.

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,773 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2014 17:59 |  #36

h14nha wrote in post #16687192 (external link)
You may be right there, I'm already on record as thinking the 7D2 won't happen though. I can't see where they can really split the 70d and the 5D3 given the 6D's presence too. I was being a bit cheeky with my earlier reply meaning if Canon changes it's priority from video to stills, such an aggressive AA filter wouldn't be necessary on the 7D thus improving its IQ :)

The strength of the AA filter for stills at 18 or 20MP has little bearing on 2MP video. The radius of the AA filter is nothing compared to the size of the output pixels on the sensor.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,773 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2014 18:03 |  #37

NG8JGFX wrote in post #16690627 (external link)
ISO better be higher than that...all I gotta say

Less visible noise at the same ISO is what I want.

I can shoot any camera with RAW at ISO 10 million if I want ... it will just look like a TV channel with no one broadcasting nearby.

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2014 16:33 |  #38

Reider wrote in post #16692071 (external link)
4K video @ 30fps with the duel pixel CMOS AF system would get my attention.

I look at it very differently. I care NOTHING about video, especially if they add any firmware/software/hard​ware to make video better but takes away from still pics IQ. I admit I don't know much about AA filters & other electronics they use, but I don't want them in the camera if they hurt IQ for still pics in any way.
If they are going to do that, then make 2 models of the 7DII, the video model and the photographs only model.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Reider
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 17, 2014 19:02 |  #39

guntoter wrote in post #16696960 (external link)
I look at it very differently. I care NOTHING about video, especially if they add any firmware/software/hard​ware to make video better but takes away from still pics IQ. I admit I don't know much about AA filters & other electronics they use, but I don't want them in the camera if they hurt IQ for still pics in any way.
If they are going to do that, then make 2 models of the 7DII, the video model and the photographs only model.

I want the best of both worlds. I want to see an improvement made on both the picture and video side as I take both.

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 17, 2014 20:14 |  #40

gjl711 wrote in post #16691597 (external link)
I guess there we will disagree. Having been in some tech business or another for my whole career, I have always known about my compeditors products even without corporate espionage. Tech fairs, white papers, attending ISO meetings, people talk. And that's me in engineering. People in marketing and sales are way more connected especially if your talking about a product that is ready for release or has already been out in public as is rumored with the 7DII.

We will have to disagree. I have no disagreement that people talk, but rumor sites listen. It doesn't matter the industry or if it's Charlie Demerjian or Craig Blair, these people make their living off listening to anyone and everyone who's willing to talk. Unlike business development and sales guys, they're not preoccupied with hocking their own crap, other than clicks to their websites of course. Specs are not "fully known" by a competitor before the rumor sites and put on marketing slides before rumor sites get a hold of them. Hell, if those specs were real and the competitor knew them, they would be leaking to any rumor site that would listen to get them plastered everywhere because the 7d II would be a complete flop.

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 20, 2014 12:30 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

The Nikon D7100 is looking better and better.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,773 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 20, 2014 19:13 |  #42

ScubaDude wrote in post #16704347 (external link)
The Nikon D7100 is looking better and better.

It doesn't have much of a buffer for bursts; a friend of mine uses the D7100 (after using the D300 for a few years) and that's the one thing she finds frustrating about the camera.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 20, 2014 19:43 |  #43

That is a disappointment in Nikon's range at the moment. If you want a decent sized buffer you either get an old D300s, D3s or D4. Nothing with a current gen sensor cheaper than a D4 can handle more than a couple of seconds worth of high speed continuous shooting in raw

Gear List

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 23, 2014 13:04 |  #44

gjl711 wrote in post #16686938 (external link)
The new SOny A7000 shoots 10fps and claims exceptionally fast AF and for $560. When a mirrorless entry level camera smokes your top of the line crop camera, it's time to rethink your strategy.

What sony a7000? I searched for it and come up with nothing. Nice story you made up, comparing two non existent cameras against each other!

gjl711
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 23, 2014 14:44 |  #45

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16711077 (external link)
What sony a7000? I searched for it and come up with nothing. Nice story you made up, comparing two non existent cameras against each other!

A6000 (external link), my apologies. 6s and 7s are so close together. Although, I've heard the price anywhere from $560 to $650 in the last week. Either way, a very competitive price for the performance. Compare this camera next to Canon's latest camera release at the same price range, the 1200D (external link), and it's downright embarrassing.

sponsored links

8,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible 7D II specs released?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.