Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2014 (Friday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is 70 the crop body which has highest image quality?

5D3ismydream
160 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 14, 2014 08:27 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'm so surprise when check the image quality chart of 70D from the-digital-picture.com , not much worse than full-frame bodies
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=3 (external link)

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2014 08:55 |  #2

Normally, a crop has an advantage at the edges because... it is a crop! It doesn't go as far out as a FF.

On the other hand, the FF will be sharper (more line pairs in the frame).

So, if you use a mediocre lens with medium sharpness in the center which deteriorates towards the edges, the crop will be sharper at its edges and the FF will be sharper in the center. When you use a very sharp lens, then the differences are very difficult to detect. This is the case here.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2014 10:00 |  #3

Be careful of not falling into the trap of hyperbole about 35mm digital sensors vs. APS-C sized sensors.

Both types have advantages and disadvantages. For the type of shooting I do, I prefer 35mm digital over APS-C. However, it's obvious that's not going to be the case for everyone.

Here is a good resource about digital sensor sizes.

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …al-camera-sensor-size.htm (external link)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2014 11:34 |  #4

If you are controlling the light, or shooting in good light, the difference in IQ isn't as apparent. Some people will think that there is a huge difference in IQ, but at low ISO with the same lenses, it isn't very apparent, especially if your images are bound for the web. The higher ISO is when FF has increasing advantages. ISO 6400 from a 6d is going to be NOTICEABLY better than 6400 from a 70d. Heck, 3200 will be noticeably better.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,723 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 14, 2014 15:50 |  #5

MakisM1 wrote in post #16688785 (external link)
Normally, a crop has an advantage at the edges because... it is a crop! It doesn't go as far out as a FF.

On the other hand, the FF will be sharper (more line pairs in the frame).

So, if you use a mediocre lens with medium sharpness in the center which deteriorates towards the edges, the crop will be sharper at its edges and the FF will be sharper in the center. When you use a very sharp lens, then the differences are very difficult to detect. This is the case here.

Time to disprove that old urban legend!!!

Let us assume a lens has great detail resolution of 80 line-pairs per millimeter at its center, and 64 line-pairs per millimeter at the edges...

• With FF, we enlarge its 24x36mm frame by 8.5x to print an 8x12" print.
    So the print itself ends up with 80/8.5 = 9.4 line-pairs/millimeter at its center and 64/8.5 = 7.5 line-pairs/millimeter at its edges.
  • With APS-C, we enlarge its 14.9x22.3mm frame by 13.6x to print an 8x12" print.
    So the print itself ends up with 80/13.6 = 5.9 line-pairs/millimeter at its center and at its edges.
  • Both 9.4 and 7.5 line-pairs is greater than 5.9 line-pairs!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2014 20:19 |  #6

The 70D is very good for a crop. The ISO performance is not as good as a newer full frame. And it doesn't come close to the 1D X...but then again, not much does.

I am happy with my 70D, a properly exposed shot with a little PP can look like it came off of a full frame in many cases.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 14, 2014 20:46 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

For 50% the price and 98% of the IQ available in the 70D you can get a refurbished 60D. Used would be even less.

EDIT: Keyan, I agree with you. Modern crop bodies are quite useable at ISO 12,800. The only real improvement is a modern FF body.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

homersapien
350 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 15, 2014 09:57 as a reply to  @ EOS5DC's post |  #8

To answer your question: no. There are other crop bodies with better image quality, such as the Fuji X-A1. I think the x-trans sensor also has a slight edge on Canon. The Fuji system as a whole leaves a lot to be desired though, and switching from Canon could be painful; I think I'd miss my 70-200mm too much to do it :cool:

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 15, 2014 10:21 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #16689714 (external link)
Time to disprove that old urban legend!!!

Let us assume a lens has great detail resolution of 80 line-pairs per millimeter at its center, and 64 line-pairs per millimeter at the edges...
  • With FF, we enlarge its 24x36mm frame by 8.5x to print an 8x12" print.
    So the print itself ends up with 80/8.5 = 9.4 line-pairs/millimeter at its center and 64/8.5 = 7.5 line-pairs/millimeter at its edges.
  • With APS-C, we enlarge its 14.9x22.3mm frame by 13.6x to print an 8x12" print.
    So the print itself ends up with 80/13.6 = 5.9 line-pairs/millimeter at its center and at its edges.
  • Both 9.4 and 7.5 line-pairs is greater than 5.9 line-pairs!

Try the same thing with 80 line pairs an 40 line pairs at the edge and let me know what you think of the urban legend...;)

If you go to DPReview and check lenses which have reviews you will find out that in comparison, the sharpness in the center drops roughly by 1.6. The sharpness in the edges may be the same, but the overall coverage is sharper in the crop for a lot of the area, this is the performance of the nifty, showing what I am trying to say (from DPReview):

FF:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

APS-C

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII

Wilt
41,723 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 15, 2014 11:34 |  #10

MakisM1 wrote in post #16691173 (external link)
Try the same thing with 80 line pairs an 40 line pairs at the edge and let me know what you think of the urban legend...;)

If you go to DPReview and check lenses which have reviews you will find out that in comparison, the sharpness in the center drops roughly by 1.6. The sharpness in the edges may be the same, but the overall coverage is sharper in the crop for a lot of the area, this is the performance of the nifty, showing what I am trying to say (from DPReview):

OK, you proved your point...with the cheapest, mass produced normal lens wide open! :D
OTOH, with the 70-200mm f/4 IS, the decline at the edges 85% of the Center at f/5.6 ...and 64 l-p at edge is 80% of 80 l-pm in Center.
And the same 50mm lens at f/2.8 edges are 75% of the center.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,305 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 15, 2014 11:42 |  #11

And you think that your flesh and blood human eye/brain combination will be able to discern differences that laboratory instrument can detect?

Stop reading the spec sheets and go out and take some pictures. Otherwise, when you achieve your 5D3 dream, you might be unpleasantly surprised to discover that you can't tell a difference in your images.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 15, 2014 12:01 |  #12

Wilt, actually I think the most important point is to highlight that the center sharpness in the FF is approximately 1.6x the sharpness of the crop. This is just physics, but for most people it has evolved to metaphysics. This is the most important and real benefit going from the crop to the FF.

Of course I picked a popular lens that looses its sharpness fast... I was trying to highlight that I can pick my numbers too.

Obviously, for a lens like the EF 24-70 MkII which has very little loss of resolution at the edge, going to crop you encounter only loss!... Why do you think I bought the 5DIII AFTER I bought my Mark II brothers?

Anyway, it's not who is right or wrong. I think we should strive to pass on information which improves our understanding of our tools and help quench the Holy Wars... ;)

I have to admit that looking for the appropriate example, I was a bit surprised to see that the crop at the far end was almost just as bad as the FF, for a very small area at the corner. Instructive! :D

Gerry

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 15, 2014 12:11 |  #13

joedlh wrote in post #16691315 (external link)
And you think that your flesh and blood human eye/brain combination will be able to discern differences that laboratory instrument can detect?

Stop reading the spec sheets and go out and take some pictures. Otherwise, when you achieve your 5D3 dream, you might be unpleasantly surprised to discover that you can't tell a difference in your images.

I don't know if this addressed to me, but if my human brain/eye combination could not see the difference in a six-fold drop in sharpness of the nifty between the center and the corner, I'd quit photography and pick up gardening.

Again, I don't know if this adressed to me, thank you for the admonition if it is...Trust me, I am out there shooting photos, I am semi-retired and can afford to do so!... The problem is that with the limitations in posting and the subjective nature of real life photos, you can argue things ad infinitum. That's where laboratories and carefully controlled photos come into play.

Gerry

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Feb 15, 2014 12:25 |  #14

MakisM1 wrote in post #16691173 (external link)

That's because they express sharpness in LW per picture height, so of course a given lens will have 1.6x fewer line widths when the frame is 1/1.6x the size. (To go to the absurd conclusion, if you put the same lens on a 4x5 camera, it wouldn't cover the film but it would have about 8,000 LW/PH in the centre:D)
However, the point is accepted that by the edge of the crop frame, the performance (in lp/mm) has not dropped as far as it would on a FF, so for the part of the image circle that's captured, it's better maintained at its edges. So then we are back to how much the pixel density affects the print from the central or complete portion of the image circle when we want to discuss IQ:D

My picture galleries (external link)

Wilt
41,723 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 15, 2014 12:41 |  #15

AJSJones wrote in post #16691424 (external link)
However, the point is accepted that by the edge of the crop frame, the performance (in lp/mm) has not dropped as far as it would on a FF, so for the part of the image circle that's captured, it's better maintained at its edges. So then we are back to how much the pixel density affects the print from the central or complete portion of the image circle when we want to discuss IQ:D

And as for the eye's ability to perceive the difference in quality, we merely need to up our print size to 16x24", and now we have

for FF: 80/16.9x = 4.7 lp/mm, and 64 /16.9 = 3.8 lp/mm
for APS-C: 80/27.3x = 2.9 lp/mm

...and the previously accepted fact that the eye readily detects <5 lp/mm as 'not so sharp'

sponsored links

3,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is 70 the crop body which has highest image quality?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.