Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Feb 2014 (Monday) 06:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Keep 5Dii or change to 5Diii or 6D?

robinpow
108 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 17, 2014 06:42 |  #1

I upgraded from the 5D to the 5Dii only a couple of months before the 5Diii came out. While I've enjoyed the newer version, I'm not totally happy with it either. So am getting that 'itch' again.

Not real happy with low light, and hate the auto focus.

The 5Diii auto focus is a big plus, but that extra weight and cost is a big down.
The 6D (I've never touched) sounds good and is much lighter than the 5Diii, but the auto focus doesn't sound much better than what I have.

75% of my shooting is when I'm traveling and carrying my camera all day, so that's where weight comes into play. I'm not getting any younger.
Of that 75% almost half of that is low light shots with the other half just being candid street shots.

The other 25% is shooting wildlife. Again it's for hours on end, but most of the time from a car or on a tripod so the weight isn't so much of an issue.

99% of my shots are with available light only.

Don't give a darn about GPS, wifi could be handy, but you don't miss something you never had.

Back when I first upgraded to the 5D I kept my old body as a back up. However quickly figured out that traveling with 2 bodies wasn't for me. Just too much to pack in that carry on bag on the plane. So I'm trying to figure out which one body will serve me best.

Of course price is a factor, however if one is not happy with their gear cheaper can cost more than money.

Would love to hear some thoughts of the pros and cons and suggestions. Am I'm being to picky or would one of the other cameras serve me better.

sponsored links
michgirl
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 17, 2014 06:47 |  #2

If you can afford it and are that unhappy with your 5D ii, you should probably change. I am pretty happy with mine, use it for wildlife and birding, and love the results.

If I ever give it up, I will go for something smaller and lighter; but that is why there are so many options out there.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / EF 70-300mm II USM
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 17, 2014 07:05 |  #3

My 5DII was worthless to shoot sports or wildlife. On the other hand, it did a fantastic job with still life, portraits, landscapes. My 5DII is a HUGE step up. The new AF system, higher ISP handling, and improved frame rate make it a great body that can do both wildlife and still life. IMHO, Canon hit the sweet spot with 5DII and gave us a great jack of all trades.

Trade in the 5DII for a refurbed 5DIII at Canon USA. You will get hundreds off for the trade in. We did that for the wife and her 5DIII has been like new.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …d-eos-digital-slr-cameras (external link)

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 07:30 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I have a 60D, which becomes relevant in a second. Last December I moved from the 5Dc to the 6D. I am amazed by the 6D's AF performance. I've never used a 7D or 5D3, but the 6D can easily keep up with the 60D.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 17, 2014 07:57 |  #5

I took advise before deciding on the 5D2 for landscape images and have not been disappointed in any way.

It will do me until Canon come up with an Nikon 800E beater, which I don't see happening any time soon.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 17, 2014 08:05 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

The itch will continue to linger until you get the 5D III. :D

Just do it.

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickr (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,242 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2014 09:17 |  #7

Two things jump out at me Robin.
"Hate the Auto Focus" and "25% is shooting Wildlife".
Regarding AF.
6D is a lateral move from 5D Mark II
5D Mark III is a vastly improved AF.
Regarding weight, you will not miss what you don't have as the weight of the 5D Mark III is comparable to your Mark II.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Eastcoast
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 17, 2014 09:24 |  #8

I did a two step process to get to the Mk III. I went to a 6D, last year for a trip to Utah for landscape. I started getting into birding more seriously last fall and just upgraded. Liked the 6D, love the 5D Mk III.

John
Canon R5/1DX and some Canon glass
Be careful out there!

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 10:42 as a reply to  @ Eastcoast's post |  #9

I agree with Nick5. The 6D would be a lateral move in a lot of ways, so it probably wouldn't be a wise investment. While I love my 6D (it is compact, lightweight, easy to use, a low light focussing beast, and has gorgeous iq), it could leave you wanting more. If I were using it regularly for fast action, I would probably want a more sophisticated autofocus system: with "AF Point Exansion" to be specific. I think af point expansion could help with my (often) poor tracking.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 10:49 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Nick5 wrote in post #16695958 (external link)
Two things jump out at me Robin.
"Hate the Auto Focus" and "25% is shooting Wildlife".
Regarding AF.
6D is a lateral move from 5D Mark II
5D Mark III is a vastly improved AF.
Regarding weight, you will not miss what you don't have as the weight of the 5D Mark III is comparable to your Mark II.

neacail wrote in post #16696140 (external link)
I agree with Nick5. The 6D would be a lateral move in a lot of ways, so it probably wouldn't be a wise investment. While I love my 6D (it is compact, lightweight, easy to use, a low light focussing beast, and has gorgeous iq), it could leave you wanting more. If I were using it regularly for fast action, I would probably want a more sophisticated autofocus system: with "AF Point Exansion" to be specific. I think af point expansion could help with my (often) poor tracking.

Not true. Not even close to true with regard to AF. My 5Dc had the same AF system as the 5D2. The 6D is vastly superior in its AF ability. Superior wrt low-light ability of the center point. Superior wrt the number and functionality of the outer points. Superior with respect to speed at any point. Superior wrt customizeability. There certainly are things about the 6D that are not much improved from the 5D2. Auto-focus is most certainly NOT one of them.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 17, 2014 12:36 |  #11

If weight is a big concern, I'd pick up an X-T1 or even an A7(r) (though the Sony lens selection is pretty bland imo). If your adamant about sticking with Canon then I'd go with the 6D. The weight difference is pretty noticeable to me between it and the 5D.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 15:11 |  #12

EOS5DC wrote in post #16696151 (external link)
Not true. Not even close to true with regard to AF. My 5Dc had the same AF system as the 5D2. The 6D is vastly superior in its AF ability. Superior wrt low-light ability of the center point. Superior wrt the number and functionality of the outer points. Superior with respect to speed at any point. Superior wrt customizeability. There certainly are things about the 6D that are not much improved from the 5D2. Auto-focus is most certainly NOT one of them.

While the auto-focus is certainly improved, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the 5Diii autofocus. Depending on what shooting "25% wildlife" means, some of the 5Diii auto-focus functions could be beneficial.

For, let's say, birds in flight, I think AF point expansion could be very useful. I personally have a heck of a time tracking hockey players with both of my cameras (neither one has AF point expansion), and that is the one function that leaves me looking to other bodies. It seems like a useful function that could help to compensate for my own personal shortcomings, which I just can't seem to resolve. I'm often left feeling that I'm failing my equipment (which is perfectly capable).

The 6D does have some nice improvements over the 5Dii, and I love mine. It is perfect for what I purchased it for. I'm constantly astounded by what it can focus on, and being that it is so compact and light I carry it daily, everywhere I go.

But, I do still see going from the 5Dii to the 6D as a bit of a lateral move. I'm just not convinced there would be anyone "Wow!" factor, which is important to me when upgrading.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 17, 2014 15:37 |  #13

5D2 great body but shoots slow fps
5D3 is a fat body but in a better color depth
6D is a great image quality in a bad body
i hope that they make the 6D like the 5D2 body but in a small size
so keep the 5D2
you will be in the middle :)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 16:58 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

neacail wrote in post #16696734 (external link)
While the auto-focus is certainly improved, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the 5Diii autofocus. Depending on what shooting "25% wildlife" means, some of the 5Diii auto-focus functions could be beneficial.

For, let's say, birds in flight, I think AF point expansion could be very useful. I personally have a heck of a time tracking hockey players with both of my cameras (neither one has AF point expansion), and that is the one function that leaves me looking to other bodies. It seems like a useful function that could help to compensate for my own personal shortcomings, which I just can't seem to resolve. I'm often left feeling that I'm failing my equipment (which is perfectly capable).

The 6D does have some nice improvements over the 5Dii, and I love mine. It is perfect for what I purchased it for. I'm constantly astounded by what it can focus on, and being that it is so compact and light I carry it daily, everywhere I go.

But, I do still see going from the 5Dii to the 6D as a bit of a lateral move. I'm just not convinced there would be anyone "Wow!" factor, which is important to me when upgrading.

I can see that. I went from a 5Dc to the 6D. Perhaps I would have pondered a bit longer if I had a 5D2, instead. So far I haven't missed 1/5000 and faster. The 1/180 sync has already reared its head, though. I am spoiled by the 1/250 of the 60D.

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 17, 2014 17:00 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

moltengold wrote in post #16696812 (external link)
5D2 great body but shoots slow fps
5D3 is a fat body but in a better color depth
6D is a great image quality in a bad body
i hope that they make the 6D like the 5D2 body but in a small size
so keep the 5D2
you will be in the middle :)

Curious. Why do you call the 6D a bad body?

sponsored links

5,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Keep 5Dii or change to 5Diii or 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.