Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Feb 2014 (Monday) 07:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D VS 5d3 - Hard Time Deciding

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2014 07:24 |  #46

MCAsan wrote in post #16698457 (external link)
Wasted time and money. Time you can never get back.

Using the same logic, 5DIII owners are also wasting more time and money shooting at "only" 6 fps vs 12 fps of the 1DX; I mean the discussion revolves around action shooting here (6D AF vs 5DII AF), where fps does matter. I mean, theoretically, you can get your desired shot much faster with a 1DX :)

Plus, if, for some reason, you felt the need to upgrade from a 5DIII to a 1DX, you'd actually lose more money selling your 5DIII than someone else on selling a 6D when upgrading to 5DIII.

It always comes down to what your needs are. Me, having a 6D and 70D, I'm not "bugging" Rebel owners about the shortcomings of their cameras. If I wanted to do that, I could start with my wife (not wise) ;) (using a T4i)
It's perfectly fine for me to accept that to satisfy their needs that's the tool they can smartly afford, there isn't anything wrong with that. If that wasn't true, wouldn't every beginner buy a 1DX as their first camera? :)
I'm perfectly happy with my 6D but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a 1DX or a 5DIII, I totally admit they are better. But even buying a 5DIII would mean that I'd have to sell probably 2 of my lenses (such as my Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS and another). My photography currently is more well-equipped and well-rounded with the 6D and those lenses in my possession than with a 5DIII and not owning those "important" lenses.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 18, 2014 08:07 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

MCAsan wrote in post #16698457 (external link)
Wasted time and money. Time you can never get back.

Wasted time and money? You mean like the extra FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS most 5D3 buyers truly waste unnecessarily (sounds like a nice lens to me) when all they need to do is invest some time and effort to learn the basics of the totally capable focusing system on the 6D?

Case in point...IMO most 5D3 owners don't have a clue how Automatic AI Servo Autofocus actually works (along with the Autofocus Custom Functions); as witnessed by certain individual posts in other threads on this forum.

Dave

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 18, 2014 08:29 |  #48

Bakewell wrote in post #16697564 (external link)
These 6D vs. 5D3 threads are so silly and truly ridiculous! One needs the super dooper focus system of the 5d3 in order to take pics of walking dogs? What's wrong with everybody?

:D :D

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 18, 2014 09:10 |  #49

To shoot walking dogs, anything over a Rebel is a gracious plenty. The wife and I do landscapes and wildlife. Especially shooting wildlife, you can't have an AF that is too advanced, FPS too fast, or ISO handling that is too high. If we could afford a pair of 1DX, we would be all over them. We stick to refurbed 5D3 and 7D.

Much comes back to what you shoot...or want to shoot.

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 18, 2014 10:04 |  #50

bobbyz wrote in post #16697770 (external link)
Trust me, most of the 6d guys haven't used 5dmk3 so don't know what they missing. Agree center point on 6d is good but 5dmk3 got like 40 points like that. For AF, tracking mainly 1 series and 5dmk3. I know I know folks did take those shots in the 70s with whatever manual camera.:)

To counter; the center point on 6D is better than any (including center) on 5dmk3. If single point is fine; 6D is likely a better camera in this scenario. People tend to overstate the reasoning for their own decisions when recommending to others. I say that as a 6D shooter.. :)

[6D]

chris61
186 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 18, 2014 11:03 as a reply to  @ w0m's post |  #51

all i will say see if you can hire the 6 and 5d3 to see what you like about them and if they would work for you this way your getting hands on feel of both cameras

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/88087917@N05/ (external link)
16-35 f2.8 Mkii 24-105 f4is 1.4X extender mkii Sigma 150-500 apo HSM speed light 550ex canon 5d mkiii :cool:

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2014 11:48 |  #52

w0m wrote in post #16698830 (external link)
To counter; the center point on 6D is better than any (including center) on 5dmk3. If single point is fine; 6D is likely a better camera in this scenario. People tend to overstate the reasoning for their own decisions when recommending to others. I say that as a 6D shooter.. :)

No it's not. It's more sensitive in low light though. When the 5D3 is paired with fast lenses, the center AF point is double crosstype (external link) while the 6D's center AF point is crosstype at best (Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8 (external link)). So unless the light is really horrible, I'd pick the 5D3's center AF point in a heartbeat.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 18, 2014 12:12 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

jocau wrote in post #16699063 (external link)
No it's not. It's more sensitive in low light though. When the 5D3 is paired with fast lenses, the center AF point is double crosstype (external link) while the 6D's center AF point is crosstype at best (Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8 (external link)). So unless the light is really horrible, I'd pick the 5D3's center AF point in a heartbeat.

Total nonsense. Please post ANY link and explanation showing the 6D center point is inferior to the 5D3 center point. This is the type of garbage regurgitation that is so frustrating...especial​ly from someone that owns neither camera!

Dave

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,161 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2014 12:18 |  #54

Bakewell wrote in post #16699127 (external link)
Total nonsense. Please post ANY link and explanation showing the 6D center point is inferior to the 5D3 center point. This is the type of garbage regurgitation that is so frustrating...especial​ly from someone that owns neither camera!

The 6D AF system is inferior to the 5D3, however that doesn't make it bad. Why the hate? If the lowest of the 3 FF systems fit your needs, then just accept that what it doesn't have, you don't need, but don't belittle the higher end systems, just accept what you have, and don't make it into something it's not. There are 2 or 3 of you that feel you need to defend the Rebel equivalent of the FF line, and you really don't have to. It's a great camera that stands on its own merits, but also has some deficiencies that others simply don't want.

The 5D Mark III comes with a new AF system that is, in terms of specification, very close to the flagship EOS 1D X. It comes with 61 points, 41 of which are cross-type points and, uniquely to this sensor, five of them are diagonally sensitive (for these double cross-type, imagine an X overlaid on a + shape).

Vs

And while Nikon at least saw fit to provide dense coverage of the AF area with 39 focus points, Canon EOS 6D users will have to make do with just 11. And only the center AF point is cross-type (with both horizontal and vertical lines detected simultaneously), the remaining 10 being either vertical or horizontal-line sensitive.

It is quite obvious the 6D AF system is inferior to the 5D3's, without needing to have both. It is obvious by the review, the specs from Canon, their whitepapers, and the price differential. You might want to take back your comments, because they seem pretty infantile.

It can however focus in EV-3 vs EV-2. To give some clarification to what that means, the 5D3 can focus in moonlight, and the 6D can focus in less than moonlight, nearing candlelight. I have a hard time thinking about when I might be shooting in those environments where I need critical AF, but hey, the 6D can focus in really dark conditions which is a nice extra.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

The ­ "Canon ­ 7D" ­ Kid
111 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2014 12:29 as a reply to  @ post 16697770 |  #55

If someone ^^^^ who has both cameras is telling you to go with one over the other, that would probably be your best bet. I just bought a 5D MkIII about a week ago. and so far couldn't be happier. Paid $2999.99

Go to Best Buy! They have a pretty nice return policy. If you buy the 5D MkIII and don't like you can always take it back. But, TRUST ME! YOU WON'T!

Canon 5D Mark III (Gripped), Canon 7D (Gripped), 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM, 24-105 L, 28-135mm, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8, 580 EXII, Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 600EX-RT X's 3 And not nearly enough time/good weather to enjoy it.

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 18, 2014 12:35 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16699145 (external link)
The 6D AF system is inferior to the 5D3, however that doesn't make it bad. Why the hate? If the lowest of the 3 FF systems fit your needs, then just accept that what it doesn't have, you don't need, but don't belittle the higher end systems, just accept what you have, and don't make it into something it's not. There are 2 or 3 of you that feel you need to defined the Rebel equivalent of the FF line, and you really don't have to. It's a great camera that stands on its own merits, but also has some deficiencies that others simply don't want.

5D3 is inferior to the 1DX. So? No hate. I'm not belittling the system. Just stating that unless you shoot professional sports (and want a 3.2 in LCD)... it's not necessary; especially for photographing dogs.

I really am sorry 5D3 owners feel so victimized. Shame on Canon.

Dave

l89kip
584 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 18, 2014 12:39 |  #57

Money talks, we all know. In general, higher priced gears would perform better.

But we are have individual needs, and we are all constrained financially. Buy whatever you can afford and meet your need.

If I have the need and resource, I would buy 5DM3, and add a wireless component. But 6D is good enough for me.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,161 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2014 12:40 |  #58

Bakewell wrote in post #16699176 (external link)
5D3 is inferior to the 1DX. So? No hate. I'm not belittling the system. Just stating that unless you shoot professional sports (and want a 3.2 in LCD)... it's not necessary; especially for photographing dogs.

I really am sorry 5D3 owners feel so victimized. Shame on Canon.

You don't see 5D3 owners going to 1DX threads and telling people they don't need the 1DX, the 5D3 is as good or better for their needs. That seems to be something only you and a couple of others do often.

So you are going to retract your comments then? Now that you are more educated about the AF systems of the 2 models...? ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,161 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2014 12:41 |  #59

l89kip wrote in post #16699184 (external link)
Money talks, we all know. In general, higher priced gears would perform better.

But we are have individual needs, and we are all constrained financially. Buy whatever you can afford and meet your need.

If I have the need and resource, I would buy 5DM3, and add a wireless component. But 6D is good enough for me.

Well said, if others would only take notice of your mature attitude toward this matter. :)

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 18, 2014 12:54 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

I started to quote a few of the 6D/5D3 AF arguments above, then thought better of it. It is starting to get ugly up there.

The 5D3 has a dual-cross f/2.8 center point. Nice. So does my 60D. Big deal. If you have a 5D3, or a 1Dx, or a Rebel XT, and it works fine for you, great! Shoot it and be happy. Who gives a FFA what someone else thinks of your hardware? I gonna guess not many of you are on Rockport forums getting approval from strangers about your choice of shoes. Why cameras?

"Indy, let it go!"

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

sponsored links

24,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D VS 5d3 - Hard Time Deciding
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.