Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 17:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I wait for the Tamron 150-600 or go with Sig 150-500

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2014 17:29 |  #1

Since the Tammy looks like it's quite a wait
am I wrong to go with the Sigma??

This will be my first long zoom purchase
so I'm kinda clueless.

I'm using a 60D if that matters.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,090 posts
Gallery: 1548 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2014 17:36 |  #2

Heya,

The Sigma is a good lens (50-500). The Tamron is a good lens. Go with the focal length you need.

Personally, I don't see much reason to not get the Tamron at this point. Is it perfect? No. But neither is the Sigma.

I would bet that the 600mm lens holds value, no matter what, because it's 600mm. And if you're looking for reach, well, an extra 100mm makes for more reach (especially on a crop).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2014 17:45 |  #3

If you have the extra money and don't want to wait, the Sigma 50-500 is a bit better than the 150-500. I'd suggest getting either the Tamron or the 50-500, not the Sigma 150-500.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2014 17:46 |  #4

It's a good question. One local photo shop owner (who didn't really seem to have a vested interest one way or the other, so seemed fairly objective) said that in his opinion based on history, the Sigma lenses tend to hold their value a bit better than the Tamrons, if that matters to you at all. But ultimately as MalVeaux indicated, if you "need" 600, go with the 600. I was considering this lens but ultimately decided I probably don't really need that much reach and went an entirely different way (a lightly used 400 f/5.6L), which is quite a bit more compact and lighter (also, obviously, shorter FL).

All New Year, All New Sig !

YARDBURNER
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2014 20:00 as a reply to  @ TustinMike's post |  #5

Wow, I hadn't thought about the Bigma.
I just went thru the sample images thread and there are really nice images.
I'll have to do some more thinking along those lines.
Also have to take into account how much weight I'd be lugging around.
Currently have 10-22, 18-55, 18-135, 55-250, 70-300 and a 50 1.8 II.

By just lugging the UWA, the 18-55 and the 50-500 it might not be too bad.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,014 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 20, 2014 20:09 |  #6

I'd PM DAA about it...he had the sigma 150-500OS, and bought the tamron...so you can actually get opinions from someone that has used both
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?u=298876

I own the 150-500OS, and think it's a great bang for the buck...i was interested in seeing how the tamron worked out, as it seemed like it could be a cheap upgrade...upon seeing images from it though, honestly i'm not really impressed at all...it looks to be worse than the sigma in my eyes...also i'm not sure how well the AF performance is, but i can do some BIF with my sigma...it does seem like that's something that may be lacking on the tamron

if you can find the sigma used, you can buy it now, and then if you want to still get to 600mm sell it when the tamron becomes more readily available

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 20, 2014 21:56 |  #7

I got tired of waiting for the Tamron to come in stock, and I have a trip to Africa in 2 weeks; I bought the Sigma 150-500 this week. After reading through all the reviews comparing the lenses (plus the 100-400L), it seems that they are very very close in performance. For my uses I think I can handle any minor differences in post-processing, and I think it'll fit the bill for me nicely.

I get the lens tomorrow, so looking forward to playing around with it this weekend!

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

vsocks
172 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 21, 2014 03:26 |  #8

I really like the extra 100mm reach of the Tamron 150-600, sometimes even like a little more but I know that's greedy!

Canon 6D, 70D, Rokinon 14mm, 17-40 F4L, Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 T* ZE, 50 f1.8, 85 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 F/4L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, Tamron 150-600 VC, Speedlight 430EX II, 12mm Extension Tube, Canon 1.4X & 2.0X iii Converters

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 21, 2014 06:26 as a reply to  @ vsocks's post |  #9

I both the tamron and the sigma. I will not bother using the sigma again. If you can wait it will be worth it.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,014 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 21, 2014 19:33 |  #10

larrycumba wrote in post #16706021 (external link)
I both the tamron and the sigma. I will not bother using the sigma again. If you can wait it will be worth it.

is it just the longer reach, or can you be more specific as to the advantages?

i feel like most 100% crops i look at, just aren't doing it for me...i do think i'm going to have to rent it though to compare

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

YARDBURNER
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2014 22:46 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #11

Wondering the same thing myself.
Is it a IQ issue how it feels to use or something else?

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 22, 2014 08:31 |  #12

YARDBURNER wrote in post #16704955 (external link)
Since the Tammy looks like it's quite a wait
am I wrong to go with the Sigma??

This will be my first long zoom purchase
so I'm kinda clueless.

I'm using a 60D if that matters.

I had the Sigma but was never happy with it,Maybe I had a bad copy as that was a common problem.
Had a Canon 100-400 and thought it was very good except i did not like a few things about it so sold it .
The Tamron is new and the jury is still out on it but alot of Good reviews and pics here and elsewhere.

So several things to weigh for your investment,I say try both if possible and decide for yourself,Always going to be a few things people will nitpick about but as long as You are happy with whatever you get is all that matters.;)

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 22, 2014 08:57 |  #13

I still own both. Considering the Sigma is only $900 new now, I think it is FAR from an easy choice. My Tamron is noticeably less sharp wide open at 600 than my Sigma is wide open at 500. Both at 500, it's too close for me to call the difference - even though MTF charts might show one - I can't see it.

For whatever reasons and whether it's more me or the lens I really can't say, but, I find the Sigma more forgiving and just plain easier to get keepers with. Maybe that will shift as I grow more accustomed to the Tamron, but it doesn't really feel like it. Even shooting off a solid tripod, the Tamron just has a tendency to give some disappointments, shots I feel like I nailed, but turns out I didn't. Whereas my Sigma is totally predictable, when I feel like a shot is going to be well exposed and sharp with it, the image is in fact well exposed and sharp.

AF... My two copies, advantage Sigma. Again, the Tamron is good when it's good, but isn't entirely predictable. Under no circumstances have I seen the Tamron AF outperform the Sigma AF.

The only body I own is a 60D, BTW...

I know it seems Andre and I are the only ones that think so, but I do agree with him - I've seen nothing in all the Tamron images posted that looks any better to me than my Sigma can do. I certainly have not taken a picture with my Tamron yet that is any better than my Sigma.

Dunno... I think if you really are in a hurry and are looking at an uncomfortable wait for the Tamron, you may as well get the Sigma and I don't feel like you'll be losing out on anything - except the reach, or course - but that reach goes soft, unless you have the light to stop it down. But, don't get me wrong, either, for under $1,100 and 600mm, I'm not disappointed in the Tamron either. Just don't see it as having any advantage over my Sigma other than the extra 100mm is all.

- DAA

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 22, 2014 09:04 |  #14

[QUOTE=DreDaze;1670775​7]is it just the longer reach, or can you be more specific as to the advantages?

It is the extra reach at 600 and the sharpness at that length. The focus limiter is a big plus and I like the background blur. With it, I can get nice shots of small birds I would normally pass up. With the Sigma there was more focus hunting for me. That said, between the Canon 100-400 and the Sigma I would usually choose the Sigma only because of the reach. Please bear in mind I haven't had enough experience with it yet to really grade it's value on birds in flight. The Tamron is a good balance between the Canon and the Sigma especially for the price.

Philihase
201 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 22, 2014 13:05 as a reply to  @ larrycumba's post |  #15

I´m kind of in the same boat on debating the same two lenses. With current prices here in Germany the Sigma is €800 and the Tamron is around €1200 to €1300. I have currently the 1100d/T3 so will be looking to a new body soon as well.

A new 60d is going for around €700 currently so with the Sigma I would have around €400 towards a new body. So I dont know whats a better idea. Blow everything on the Tamron and then save for another 6 months or so for a body. Or get the Sigma and get a body a couple of months later.

The combination would be for birds and wildlife but I guess my "style" of photography is walking and generally sneaking about the local fields here and a general day out for me is a 10 to 15 mile walk as I use it as exercise as well as taking photos. This brings into weight factors and the fact I would be shooting hand held as I dont really like using a tripod and dont have a decent one anyway.

So with those facts any idea what would be best?

https://www.facebook.c​om …e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,459 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I wait for the Tamron 150-600 or go with Sig 150-500
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.