Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Feb 2014 (Friday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happened to CarrySpeed?

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,927 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 12, 2014 09:57 |  #16

I find it strange to see all the hate for BR over this patent. They patented the idea, they still make and sell the product. For once, we have a good invention (sliding on a sling) that is clearly superior in many ways to traditional fixed straps. I understand that there is some debate regarding prior art, but in this day and age, if you have an invention that you want to capitalize on, you have to protect it.

Is the BR the best implementation of a sling strap? Surely not, but as it stands, they own the idea. Luma and CS copied someone else's claimed invention and were taking market share from the inventors.

I find much less distasteful about this patent story than many of the software patents I read about every week, especially the troll companies who buy IP just to sue in El Paso, and have no other related business.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2014 10:22 |  #17

waterrockets wrote in post #16898943 (external link)
I find it strange to see all the hate for BR over this patent. They patented the idea, they still make and sell the product. For once, we have a good invention (sliding on a sling) that is clearly superior in many ways to traditional fixed straps. I understand that there is some debate regarding prior art, but in this day and age, if you have an invention that you want to capitalize on, you have to protect it.

Is the BR the best implementation of a sling strap? Surely not, but as it stands, they own the idea. Luma and CS copied someone else's claimed invention and were taking market share from the inventors.

I find much less distasteful about this patent story than many of the software patents I read about every week, especially the troll companies who buy IP just to sue in El Paso, and have no other related business.

They didn't patent the idea or create the concept. The idea originally originated from gun slings which was already patented. Just so happens that they were granted the approval which some are shocked.

Here is more information about it - http://luma-labs.com/pages/loop (external link)

Taking market share or not, its called friendly competition. This also pushes companies to innovate. Luma opted to redesign and innovate their product. CS opted to fight the ridiculous patent but can't afford the legal fees. There's Sun Sniper, Custom SLR and others who all have sling straps but each vary in style, function and creativity.

None of these companies are a threat to BR (or even come close to it). These companies are making a product for consumers, something they love to do and making a living to support their family. Same reason as BR or any other company. It's one thing to sue a company for producing a product that looks identical in every way where it may confuse consumers thinking they are buying a BR strap but don't sue over a concept they didn't invent.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,186 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 12, 2014 10:27 |  #18

I never owned a BR strap, but I did at one time, own a SunSniper strap. I eventually sold it off and went with an Op/Tech neck strap that I converted into a sling. I now use the Custom SLR C-Loop with it.

http://www.amazon.com …ohs_product?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,927 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 12, 2014 10:45 |  #19

1KIND wrote in post #16899004 (external link)
They didn't patent the idea or create the concept. The idea originally originated from gun slings which was already patented. Just so happens that they were granted the approval which some are shocked.

Here is more information about it - http://luma-labs.com/pages/loop (external link)

Taking market share or not, its called friendly competition. This also pushes companies to innovate. Luma opted to redesign and innovate their product. CS opted to fight the ridiculous patent but can't afford the legal fees. There's Sun Sniper, Custom SLR and others who all have sling straps but each vary in style, function and creativity.

None of these companies are a threat to BR (or even come close to it). These companies are making a product for consumers, something they love to do and making a living to support their family. Same reason as BR or any other company. It's one thing to sue a company for producing a product that looks identical in every way where it may confuse consumers thinking they are buying a BR strap but don't sue over a concept they didn't invent.

I hadn't seen that Luma summary. It does indeed suck that BR was granted the patent based on the prior art that Luma highlighted. Hmm.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2014 11:24 |  #20

waterrockets wrote in post #16899050 (external link)
I hadn't seen that Luma summary. It does indeed suck that BR was granted the patent based on the prior art that Luma highlighted. Hmm.

Yep, thats why some aren't happy with BR.

FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 12, 2014 19:29 |  #21

Yep same reason I am not a BR fan. I sold my Black Rapid Strap and bought an ebay knock off.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2014 21:11 |  #22

BR products are nicely made. I just don't like their business tactics towards smaller businesses and taking advantage of them.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2014 13:41 |  #23

Yes, I will not purchase any product from Black Rapid for their legal stunts. It is one thing to create something actually new and unique which you then patent and defend, but to do it with existing tech that you put next to no effort into improving over what competitors are offering? No thanks.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 13, 2014 13:58 |  #24

that sucks, my CS is the most comfortable don't even realize it's there camera carry tool. I think I'll get me an other one.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

May 13, 2014 16:39 |  #25

1KIND wrote in post #16900419 (external link)
BR products are nicely made. I just don't like their business tactics towards smaller businesses and taking advantage of them.

i dont think they are all that. Typical outsourced production quality in my opinion. The quality of the components is average at best. I had to go through two before I got one that didnt slip, and actually held its adjustment. Their customer service is decent though. I will never buy a product of theirs again.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

En_code
55 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 18, 2014 10:17 as a reply to  @ gnome chompski's post |  #26

Wow, it's crazy how fast a company with an innovated idea with their products can just disappear from a lawsuit. I literally bought a CS strap w/the folding plate right when it came out and still use it till this day. That was around a littler over a year ago too.

www.casperyen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

brantfordbandit
504 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 18, 2014 17:38 as a reply to  @ En_code's post |  #27

Spent about 4 hours walking around today with my carryspeed with 5dII and 100-400 attached. Never even knew it was there, soooo comfy. I do tend to look it over every time i use it because of earlier problem some folks have had. So far so good. They are still in business. Look on ebay, or if your in Canada Henry's and Vistek sell them.

canonguy

nerdhopper
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 17, 2015 12:55 as a reply to  @ post 16894532 |  #28

I loved my CarrySpeed until the ball and socket failed from being to soft a metal and my Canon 6d with a canon 70-200mm zoom crashed to the trail I was walking on. The lens bent at the zoom ring junction. Cost $350 to repair! I liked the strap so much I bought 2 Joby camera teachers and attached them to the 2 regular camera strap metal mounts on the camera body and hooked the metal rings on the CarrySpeed strap. Works pretty good and have 2 points of contact. Had to saw off the Carry speed ball joint. Did it to both straps I own.

EricJrSax
206 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by EricJrSax.

Apr 30, 2016 23:25 |  #29

I just bought the CarrySpeed Prime FS PRO Mark III off of ebay. Talked with who described himself as a distributor in Germany in another forum. He basically told me the problem with the ball-n-socket was fixed when they went to stanless steel and redesigned the attachment. He the problem was mainly with their CS line,... those and older attachments used a thredded lock to secure the ball into the socket. The newer 2015 FS line dumped the softer gunmetal colored metal and switched from the thredded lock to a more robust and safer push-n-twist locking mechanism to secure the ball into the socket. Still,... he recommended periodically introducing a little machine oil or silicone lubricant into the mechanism. FS Pro Mark III also comes with a safety that's tethered to one of the camera's strap loops and attaches to the systems main strap at the other end in case of ball-n-socket failure. The one I just bought also comes with a secondary strap that simutaneously attaches to the tripod foot of any long lens. And lastly,... the new stainless steel sockets that are on the main strap end, can be replaced if worn. If the ball, which is attached to the redesigned F2 plate, is suspected of wearing to the point where it's no longer snug when in the socket, it also can be replaced. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com …c0e80c:g:ZjQAAO​Swh-1W2Soz (external link)

The seller I bought from didn't stock these replacement Carry Speed components, but emailed me the name of a Canadian retailer who does. I'll scrub thru my emails and post the retailer's contact info here in case anyone is in need.

Shame on Black Rapid! Will never any of their products after hearing this.

karrera
99 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2016 21:13 |  #30

I was lucky enough to get one of the last of the original Luma Loops before they were shut down by Black Rapid.
I've carried my 1Ds MkII for hundreds of hours on that strap and its been extremely comfortable and durable.
I recently bought a Luma Loop 3 - same high quality and comfort but I still prefer my old Luma Loop 1.

I thought the tactics that Black Rapid employed were pretty despicable. The hardware and components of the Luma Loops is vastly superior.

sponsored links

19,828 views & 1 like for this thread
What happened to CarrySpeed?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.