Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 23:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vault golf case for lighting

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 23, 2014 23:58 |  #1

Anyone have experience with this Vault golf case versus an SKB hard case? The shape seems like it is well suited for lighting gear, but it's hard to tell materials and construction from the photo. I'm looking for a roller to make one trip on locations rather than moving several bags. Recently walked to a high rise office in the rain from nearest parking garage several blocks away. It was not fun.

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/aw/d/B000FH48YC (external link)

sponsored links
Nick5
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 24, 2014 00:21 |  #2

I am going to grab a golf bag hard case like that specifically for airline travel. Will come in handy.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2014 02:33 |  #3

As a golfer, unless you are traveling, I have never found a hard case that holds up to any kind of extended "wheeling" around. I had a couple where the wheels came off after only a couple uses. Not fun dragging that around with one wheel with the rest of my luggage.

I recently picked up a bag meant for baseball. Its soft sided but in it I've got 2xAB1600 in cases, 2x vagabond minis in cases, bag with 4x speedlites and triggers, 47" PCB foldable octobox. There is also two zippered pockets on the top that carry 4x white umbrellas and 3x reflective umbrellas and the other pocket holds a grid for the octobox and handheld reflector.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2014 04:29 |  #4

CAPhotog wrote in post #16712505 (external link)
Anyone have experience with this Vault golf case versus an SKB hard case? The shape seems like it is well suited for lighting gear, but it's hard to tell materials and construction from the photo. I'm looking for a roller to make one trip on locations rather than moving several bags. Recently walked to a high rise office in the rain from nearest parking garage several blocks away. It was not fun.

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/aw/d/B000FH48YC (external link)

From having actually used this sort of case for lighting equipment transportation, this is a good choice. You'll be able to find a lower price by searching golf equipment sites online. though.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2014 09:33 |  #5

the flying moose wrote in post #16712694 (external link)
As a golfer, unless you are traveling, I have never found a hard case that holds up to any kind of extended "wheeling" around. I had a couple where the wheels came off after only a couple uses. Not fun dragging that around with one wheel with the rest of my luggage.

I recently picked up a bag meant for baseball. Its soft sided but in it I've got 2xAB1600 in cases, 2x vagabond minis in cases, bag with 4x speedlites and triggers, 47" PCB foldable octobox. There is also two zippered pockets on the top that carry 4x white umbrellas and 3x reflective umbrellas and the other pocket holds a grid for the octobox and handheld reflector.

I just had the thought yesterday as I packed my gear through knee deep snow that a nice sized bat bag would work great. Planned to head to the local sports stores this week to see what I could find.

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 24, 2014 09:45 |  #6

I got my SKB at the local building materials recycling yard, for $5.00. With keys. In near-perfect shape.
In my quest to find another, I hit craigslist; I could find similar units for about $50. I image the same would apply to the Vault.

ducatiwv
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 24, 2014 09:58 as a reply to  @ dave63's post |  #7

I use a golf case all the time for carrying lighting on flights, it works great, if you get the unpadded type, I usually wrap the lights in something to keep them from moving around to much

Current Equipment list: 5d/30d/24-105 f4/L IS USM / 70-200f4L/ Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II/sigma 10-20/canon 50 1.4

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2014 15:24 |  #8

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16713267 (external link)
I just had the thought yesterday as I packed my gear through knee deep snow that a nice sized bat bag would work great. Planned to head to the local sports stores this week to see what I could find.

This is what I bought. The best part is that it doesn't look like photo gear when its loaded up.

http://www.sportchek.c​a …p=3767778.37349​39.3758878 (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2014 15:45 |  #9

the flying moose wrote in post #16714136 (external link)
This is what I bought. The best part is that it doesn't look like photo gear when its loaded up.

http://www.sportchek.c​a …p=3767778.37349​39.3758878 (external link)

Yup used bags just like it growing up for all my baseball gear, bats, helmets, gloves its amazing what you can fit in those. That looks like a very nice well made bag, you can get same size/type for a lot less if your ok with a little lower quality too.

sponsored links

1,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Vault golf case for lighting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.