Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 "Special Filter"?

Megapixel123
61 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 24, 2014 23:11 |  #1

Alright, so I bought the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 HSM EX DC Lens from 42photo.com
The guy calls me today to "verify my order" which is fine, he then sells me this whole schpeal about needing these special filters. The filter he links me to are $350 for a set of three.... Obviously I'm not dumb enough to spend $350 on three filters, but is there a need for a special grade filter? Or will just a regular UV 82mm work fine.

These are the filters he linked me to: http://www.amazon.com …r=8-1&keywords=b004nm3vo8 (external link)

7D | 430ex II | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 65mm 2.8 MP-E | Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Eric S.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,500 posts
Gallery: 1838 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 24, 2014 23:14 |  #2

Heya,

You don't need filters, at all.

UV is pointless, you have a digital camera.
FD is completely pointless, shoot in RAW or just do appropriate white balance.
Polarizing is useful, but only if you know how to use and when appropriate to use it.

For $350, I'd expect a nice set of neutral density plate filters for really fun long exposure with an ultra-wide angle lens. Not just .... fluff.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Megapixel123
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 24, 2014 23:18 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #16715251 (external link)
Heya,

You don't need filters, at all.

UV is pointless, you have a digital camera.
FD is completely pointless, shoot in RAW or just do appropriate white balance.
Polarizing is useful, but only if you know how to use and when appropriate to use it.

For $350, I'd expect a nice set of neutral density plate filters for really fun long exposure with an ultra-wide angle lens. Not just .... fluff.

Very best,

I understand completely, I'm thinking more for protection, not really functionality. But I don't want to sacrifice image quality.

Eric S.

MalVeauX
13,500 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 24, 2014 23:22 |  #4

Megapixel123 wrote in post #16715261 (external link)
I understand completely, I'm thinking more for protection, not really functionality. But I don't want to sacrifice image quality.

Cheap filters wreck image quality.

Use a lens hood for protection.

Very best,

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 25, 2014 05:54 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #16715267 (external link)
Cheap filters wreck image quality.

And those filters he recommends certainly look cheap - despite the price.

The next stage in the process, once you decide not to buy the filters, is that the lens will be out of stock. And it will stay out of stock until you decide to buy the filters.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

oxygen45
150 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 25, 2014 06:08 |  #6

Megapixel123 wrote in post #16715261 (external link)

Protection from what? I can understand if you are shooting a rally event that it may be nice. But after using many lenses in many situations I do not understand why people think they need protection.

Canon 60D ~ Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon 55-250 IS II | Sigma 150-600 C

MalVeauX
13,500 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 25, 2014 06:11 |  #7

oxygen45 wrote in post #16715671 (external link)
Protection from what? I can understand if you are shooting a rally event that it may be nice. But after using many lenses in many situations I do not understand why people think they need protection.

Because internets.

Very best,

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 25, 2014 07:29 |  #8

oxygen45 wrote in post #16715671 (external link)

Water, dirt, grit, sand, fingers, saliva, mucus, cake, whatever.

Seawater is bad for coatings, and water in general shouldn't be allowed to go inside lenses (filters make certain lenses more weather sealed). Dirt, grit and sand can scratch your lens when cleaning it or when storing it without a lens cap (which I do very frequently). Fingers leave fingerprints or jam or other substances on the lens, which then requires cleaning. Instead of cleaning I can simply unscrew the filter and clean it later after I finish shooting. Or I can just use my shirt without worrying about microfibre cloths.

But this isn't a filter vs no filter thread. Stop trying to turn it into one (not you specifically, just people in general).

Megapixel, you don't need those filters. They are cheap useless crud. If you want a filter to protect your front element, get a high quality Hoya or B+W multicoated filter. But don't get it from that shop. Get it from amazon or B&H/Adorama. In fact, if the person at the store called me and tried to sell me filters like that, I would be tempted to ask him to cancel my order and get a refund, then spend my money elsewhere.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 25, 2014 08:28 |  #9

If I were you, I'd start looking for another place to buy camera equipment. This guy is obviously a commission salesman who is trying to up-sell you. I'm glad you didn't fall for it.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

Megapixel123
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 25, 2014 12:43 |  #10

Sirrith wrote in post #16715795 (external link)
Water, dirt, grit, sand, fingers, saliva, mucus, cake, whatever.

Seawater is bad for coatings, and water in general shouldn't be allowed to go inside lenses (filters make certain lenses more weather sealed). Dirt, grit and sand can scratch your lens when cleaning it or when storing it without a lens cap (which I do very frequently). Fingers leave fingerprints or jam or other substances on the lens, which then requires cleaning. Instead of cleaning I can simply unscrew the filter and clean it later after I finish shooting. Or I can just use my shirt without worrying about microfibre cloths.

But this isn't a filter vs no filter thread. Stop trying to turn it into one (not you specifically, just people in general).

Megapixel, you don't need those filters. They are cheap useless crud. If you want a filter to protect your front element, get a high quality Hoya or B+W multicoated filter. But don't get it from that shop. Get it from amazon or B&H/Adorama. In fact, if the person at the store called me and tried to sell me filters like that, I would be tempted to ask him to cancel my order and get a refund, then spend my money elsewhere.

Thank you for the in-depth response. I was reconsidering when he was on the phone with me, because I despise those who take advantage of people. But the price was just too good to pass up. It was $539 shipped brand new. Whereas on eBay and amazon it was over $600 for a used one.

James P wrote in post #16715916 (external link)
If I were you, I'd start looking for another place to buy camera equipment. This guy is obviously a commission salesman who is trying to up-sell you. I'm glad you didn't fall for it.

This was the first and last piece of equipment I will buy from these guys.

Eric S.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 25, 2014 13:34 |  #11

Megapixel123 wrote in post #16716652 (external link)
It was $539 shipped brand new. Whereas on eBay and amazon it was over $600 for a used one.

You've actually got the lens? And it was the one you actually ordered? If so, consider yourself a winner.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,393 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2014 13:43 |  #12

Bad upsell from a disreputable vendor.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2014 13:52 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #16716766 (external link)
Bad upsell from a disreputable vendor.

bw!

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 25, 2014 16:33 |  #14

Megapixel123 wrote in post #16715243 (external link)
The guy calls me today to "verify my order" which is fine, he then sells me this whole schpeal about needing these special filters.

At that point I would have canceled the order! To me that is a huge red flag of a bad vender and I'd questions the type of lens you'll get from a store like that (used or grey market anyone?). Or like Hollis said, they might let you know it's out of stock my and try to up-sell you again.

Saving money is great. Paying a little more to buy from a reputable vender is even better!!! (Heck, you could save eve more and buy one used for $500 from Adorama!)

Megapixel123
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 26, 2014 00:10 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #16716740 (external link)
You've actually got the lens? And it was the one you actually ordered? If so, consider yourself a winner.

I got the tracking number today, should be here Thursday. I'll update then.

Eric S.

sponsored links

2,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 "Special Filter"?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.