Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!

GaryD
113 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 26, 2014 04:09 |  #16

The only real difference between them is the top-panel screen, which I can't see well enough to utilize, and the rear dial, which is HUGELY more useable than the (+/-) button. If you don't need shutter speeds faster than 1/4000, and can live with the ergonomics of the T5i, just go with it. The photos won't be any different from either. Sometimes I wish I did have a smaller body (camera, too!) and 18-55. Nothing wrong with the T5i.

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 26, 2014 04:35 |  #17

The too LCD screen I useless for me. He back dial as you stated is a game changer.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,541 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 26, 2014 10:03 |  #18

GaryD wrote in post #16718438 (external link)
The only real difference between them is the top-panel screen, which I can't see well enough to utilize, and the rear dial, which is HUGELY more useable than the (+/-) button. If you don't need shutter speeds faster than 1/4000, and can live with the ergonomics of the T5i, just go with it. The photos won't be any different from either. Sometimes I wish I did have a smaller body (camera, too!) and 18-55. Nothing wrong with the T5i.

Don't forget that the 60D uses a much stronger battery, can manually adjust ISO in 1/3 stops vs whole stops, and has a bigger, brighter viewfinder. the T5i is definitely a very good camera if you aren't running and gunning with it. If you need to make on the fly adjustments, the 60D makes shooting easier.

At least that is my experience shooting about 3k shots with a T4i alongside my 60D for sports, events, and the occasional portrait session.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 26, 2014 10:46 |  #19

mickeyb105 wrote in post #16719050 (external link)
Don't forget that the 60D uses a much stronger battery, can manually adjust ISO in 1/3 stops vs whole stops, and has a bigger, brighter viewfinder. the T5i is definitely a very good camera if you aren't running and gunning with it. If you need to make on the fly adjustments, the 60D makes shooting easier.

At least that is my experience shooting about 3k shots with a T4i alongside my 60D for sports, events, and the occasional portrait session.

The battery can be a significant factor. I have 2 batteries for my 60D which can get me something over 2000 shots without recharging (as long as I limit the use of Live View and on board flash). I'm actually planning on buying a third one and getting it broken in before my Africa trip in October so that I don't have to try and deal with recharging while I'm out in the bush camps with limited and undependable electricity, not to mention different voltages. I should be good to go with power for 3000 plus shots for a 3 week trip - I'm not a spray and pray shooter.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 26, 2014 12:18 |  #20

Thanks for all the input! I am still taking it all in and weighing in on everything. Like many I am sure, my budget is tight...making every penny count. I am finding that I can get a 60d Refurb for about 120.00 more than what I paid for on the T5i...

Can someone explain to me the Canon loyalty program? I am not finding it on Canon's site.

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 26, 2014 15:31 |  #21

Now why would you search on Canon's website. Everything Canon is in these forums.:)

Go to https://photography-on-the.net …ght=canon+loyal​ty+program
You do need to trade something in, that's the loyalty part. That can be a non functioning P&S, even a film camera. Just has to be Canon. I have seen some acceptable trades in Goodwill stores for under $10.

You could even trade the G12 but I would not do that, worth too much as a 2nd camera and has value should you chose to sell.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 26, 2014 16:25 |  #22

John from PA wrote in post #16719854 (external link)
Now why would you search on Canon's website. Everything Canon is in these forums.:)

Go to https://photography-on-the.net …ght=canon+loyal​ty+program
You do need to trade something in, that's the loyalty part. That can be a non functioning P&S, even a film camera. Just has to be Canon. I have seen some acceptable trades in Goodwill stores for under $10.

You could even trade the G12 but I would not do that, worth too much as a 2nd camera and has value should you chose to sell.

My understanding is that the trade-in is required to be non-functioning, or at least damaged in some way. I believe that was posted on this forum a couple of years ago.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

GaryD
113 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 26, 2014 16:39 |  #23

Preeb wrote in post #16719997 (external link)
My understanding is that the trade-in is required to be non-functioning, or at least damaged in some way. I believe that was posted on this forum a couple of years ago.

I have a 2-lb. sledge. Can I be of any assistance?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 26, 2014 17:47 |  #24

Preeb wrote in post #16719997 (external link)

In my instance trsding an old P& S, I simply told them the battery would not accept a charge. There wasn't any further discussion on the matter. I would doubt they truly care. CLP benefits Canon to a far greater extent than it does the individual consumer.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 26, 2014 19:07 |  #25

John from PA wrote in post #16720169 (external link)
In my instance trsding an old P& S, I simply told them the battery would not accept a charge. There wasn't any further discussion on the matter. I would doubt they truly care. CLP benefits Canon to a far greater extent than it does the individual consumer.

I've never used it, just passing on what I've read here previously.

Rick

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 27, 2014 07:37 |  #26

I received the T5i in the mail. Per Amazon rep, it is 100% refundable, even if opened, within 30 days.

My first impression: I like it a lot.

I find the controls easy. In fact, in Manual mode, I can switch Aperture, Shutter and ISO all while looking through the view finder.
Dial alone - changes Shutter speed
Dial + Av button w/Thumb - changes Aperture
Press ISO button once w/Index finger then Dial - Changes ISO

This is fast, intuitive and while I like the wheel of my G12 and can see how I would like the wheel of a 60d, but by all means, I am not direly missing it or feel it is limiting my abilities/needs.

I do like the lighter weight. With Lens, battery, it is very comfortable. I think I like the lightness vs the heavy (expensive feel) weight. Of course, this is my first camera, so I can understand and accept reviews/feedback regarding how the weight alters the "feel" of the equipment.

I do find the view finder a little on the small side. I find that I have to either get very close (pressing nose into LCD screen) in order to frame the shot + see the Information bar at bottom. This is an area I am a little bit concerned about. But so far, its not a show stopper.

At this point, I am most likely going to be keeping it, but I will continue my feedback.

Remember, I came from a fully pushed/experienced G12, and being budget centric, I think the price and T5i w/STM lens is a great next jump for me. I will push this camera and lens (multiple soon) to its limits and when I tire of this camera...well, I will be ready to jump up to the 70d or beyond! :)

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 27, 2014 07:43 |  #27

kezug wrote in post #16721275 (external link)
I received the T5i in the mail. Per Amazon rep, it is 100% refundable, even if opened, within 30 days.

My first impression: I like it a lot.

I find the controls easy. In fact, in Manual mode, I can switch Aperture, Shutter and ISO all while looking through the view finder.
Dial alone - changes Shutter speed
Dial + Av button w/Thumb - changes Aperture
Press ISO button once w/Index finger then Dial - Changes ISO

This is fast, intuitive and while I like the wheel of my G12 and can see how I would like the wheel of a 60d, but by all means, I am not direly missing it or feel it is limiting my abilities/needs.

I do like the lighter weight. With Lens, battery, it is very comfortable. I think I like the lightness vs the heavy (expensive feel) weight. Of course, this is my first camera, so I can understand and accept reviews/feedback regarding how the weight alters the "feel" of the equipment.

I do find the view finder a little on the small side. I find that I have to either get very close (pressing nose into LCD screen) in order to frame the shot + see the Information bar at bottom. This is an area I am a little bit concerned about. But so far, its not a show stopper.

At this point, I am most likely going to be keeping it, but I will continue my feedback.

Remember, I came from a fully pushed/experienced G12, and being budget centric, I think the price and T5i w/STM lens is a great next jump for me. I will push this camera and lens (multiple soon) to its limits and when I tire of this camera...well, I will be ready to jump up to the 70d or beyond! :)

It's a good camera. But don't kid yourself, that back wheel on the 60d is something that I would never give up once you know how great it is. My advice is to get the 60d. I have a t3i and a 60d. Love them both. The t3i is the same ergonomically as the t5i. I think the 60d is a camera that you could grow into a lot longer than the t5i.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 27, 2014 08:02 |  #28

+1 to Frodge. I made a (much) bigger jump from the T3 to 70D, and the difference is night & day from Rebel to xxD as far as control goes. The weight you mention isn't a 'problem' per se, but when you put some heavier glass on it, it will be front-weighted. Using a relatively small 18-135 on the T3 was quite front-heavy; the 70D is weighted perfectly with it mounted.

Basically, my fear for someone that uses their camera like you is that you'll tire of Rebel controls quickly. It took me all of four months to decide I needed to do what I had to do (sell a bunch of computer stuff basically) to buy the 70D. The T5i might last longer for you than the lowly T3 did for me, but at some point you will probably long for the flexibility of the xxD body.

All of that said, if you'll be happy with the T5i, that's great and I certainly wish you the best!

...But if (when?) you get that feeling like you're missing something and want the improved control, please let us know. :p

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 27, 2014 08:23 |  #29

Glad you're enjoying your 700D. If you would buy a 60D you would regretting you didn't buy a 70D. Then a 7D, 6D, 5D, etc. Just be happy with what you have, go out and take pictures. Take pleasure in taking pictures and not about having the latest gear. It's bad for your wallet. ;)

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 27, 2014 08:47 |  #30

Frodge wrote in post #16721284 (external link)
It's a good camera. But don't kid yourself, that back wheel on the 60d is something that I would never give up once you know how great it is. My advice is to get the 60d. I have a t3i and a 60d. Love them both. The t3i is the same ergonomically as the t5i. I think the 60d is a camera that you could grow into a lot longer than the t5i.

Good comments.

Have you gone to a store and actually handled a 60D? The weight difference and "feel in the hands" is significantly different. I used another person's T5i over Christmas, and she used my 60D, and the end comment by her is she liked the better feel of the 60D. Specifically, when I inquired what she meant, she used the word "heft" meaning the improved weight helped her compose the picture she had taken. I might add my 60D had a 17-50mm attached and her T5i had the Canon 18-135mm IS so the T5i was likely heavier than my 60D due to the increased lens weight.

sponsored links

9,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.