Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying and using Paypal Gift

Jeff's ­ Challenger ­ RT
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 01, 2014 10:47 |  #61

gusnjax wrote in post #16725571 (external link)
Well I did open an investigation with paypal about this matter. So I will wait and see what happens. And I didn;t start this thread so people could say how stupid pp gift users are..I can almost bet....99.9% of buyers and sellers have used it at least once.....but with using it comes risks....and I took another risk and got burned.....so I'll post what happens with paypal...they have 10 days to complete their investigation.

gusnjax and I got burnt by the same seller. He got me for $180 for an extender. (guess I'll put another ad in the "WTB" section!) Yes, I paid with "gift" my mistake, last time I will use gift option. Expensive lesson for us both. Sad that our world has scammers like this we honest members have to deal with. Thank you to all the honest members I have dealt with!

sponsored links
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 01, 2014 10:54 |  #62

I might say that these scammers know psychology well. People would be afraid to send a $2000 "gift", but will be willing to do so for $200. I typically see complaints a about scammers going in that range, $100-$300 bucks.

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 01, 2014 12:17 |  #63
bannedPermanent ban

Jeffs Challenger R/T wrote in post #16726441 (external link)
=Jeff's Challenger R/T;16726441]gusnjax and I got burnt by the same seller. He got me for $180 for an extender. (guess I'll put another ad in the "WTB" section!) Yes, I paid with "gift" my mistake, last time I will use gift option. Expensive lesson for us both. Sad that our world has scammers like this we honest members have to deal with. Thank you to all the honest members I have dealt with!

That sucks. Good luck to both of you getting your money back.

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickr (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2014 14:46 |  #64

:confused: PayPal GIFT is for just that.. a Gift! So all trusting people, please send ME a gift! All I promise is an honest "thank you" in return. No +3% BS and shipping is included with your gift.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 02, 2014 16:35 |  #65

Ive never paid with gift. I got ripped off twice in a week for a total of 700.00 buying from thieves on this forum and Ebay. I got both payments refunded because I refused to pay with gift. I have never had a forum member refuse my money because I told them they would have to pay the fee. I have never asked two prices for an item giving a discount for gift option. It is against Paypal user agreement. This forum has thus refused to abide by that user agreement though all transactions go through Paypal. I guess If you have a member with 20K posts who has sold thousands of items and you want to trust them for the 3 percent difference go ahead and pay that way If you want. If the seller doesn't want to sell his item bad enough to absorb the lousy 3 percent to be the same price as everyone else then he doesn't need my business. There are enough suckers who will pay it out and they know it but Ive had my bacon saved enough times to know it aint gonna happen with my funds.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 02, 2014 16:57 |  #66

mastertech01 wrote in post #16729474 (external link)
Ive never paid with gift. I got ripped off twice in a week for a total of 700.00 buying from thieves on this forum and Ebay. I got both payments refunded because I refused to pay with gift. I have never had a forum member refuse my money because I told them they would have to pay the fee. I have never asked two prices for an item giving a discount for gift option. It is against Paypal user agreement. This forum has thus refused to abide by that user agreement though all transactions go through Paypal. I guess If you have a member with 20K posts who has sold thousands of items and you want to trust them for the 3 percent difference go ahead and pay that way If you want. If the seller doesn't want to sell his item bad enough to absorb the lousy 3 percent to be the same price as everyone else then he doesn't need my business. There are enough suckers who will pay it out and they know it but Ive had my bacon saved enough times to know it aint gonna happen with my funds.

"This forum" isn't involved in the transactions. How did you arrive at the conclusion that it has "refused to abide by that user agreement?"

My Gear

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 02, 2014 21:03 |  #67

runninmann wrote in post #16729523 (external link)
"This forum" isn't involved in the transactions. How did you arrive at the conclusion that it has "refused to abide by that user agreement?"

The FS forum has several rules regarding items put up for sale. If they wanted to they could add a rule prohibiting PP gift or prohibiting the "PP add 3%" that you see in so many ads.

Since using PP gift for merchandise sales is a violation of PP rules, I am a bit surprised that the forum allow FS to openly ask for PP gift.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 03, 2014 01:11 |  #68

jrbdmb wrote in post #16730111 (external link)
The FS forum has several rules regarding items put up for sale. If they wanted to they could add a rule prohibiting PP gift or prohibiting the "PP add 3%" that you see in so many ads.

Since using PP gift for merchandise sales is a violation of PP rules, I am a bit surprised that the forum allow FS to openly ask for PP gift.

I understand that. However, that has nothing to do with abiding by the user agreement.

The User Agreement applies to users of the PayPal service. It is those who pay and receive payment for merchandise using the gift option who are not abiding by the agreement. It's not POTN.

My Gear

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,335 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 05, 2014 09:52 |  #69

"unauthorized activity claim"

so did you tell them it wasn't you that made the payment?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tc202
Goldmember
1,979 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 05, 2014 10:02 |  #70

DreDaze wrote in post #16736096 (external link)
"unauthorized activity claim"

so did you tell them it wasn't you that made the payment?

Yep, he lyed.

Thomas

Tc202
Goldmember
1,979 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 05, 2014 10:04 as a reply to  @ Tc202's post |  #71

You are complaining about "some scammer" while you are scamming paypal by paying in gift and lying about someone else using your account...

Thomas

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 05, 2014 10:09 |  #72

gusnjax wrote in post #16736130 (external link)
You asked us to transfer $175.00 USD from PayPal to your bank account, and we're processing it now. It usually takes 3-4 business days for transfers like this to go through, so you should see the money in your bank account by Mar 11, 2014.

So that's it...so through all the stress.....and thinking I lost my money to some scam...if you take your time and go through the proper channels....put together a good dispute.....send it and wait. All they can do is say "no"....but in my case.....my money is on it's way back to my account. And I already purchased another Canon 430EXII from another seller and received it in 3 days.

Sorry to say this, but I don't think you should have gotten your money back. You are now the scammer. You scammed paypal by doing what you did, and I firmly feel that you should not have been refunded.

You defrauded them from the beginning, and then you lied to them to get your money back because you F'ed up.

Sorry to say it this way, but as bad as the original scammer was, you are no better.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 05, 2014 10:18 |  #73

I'm unclear on how this works. gusnjax, you put in a claim for unauthorized activity, which I guess basically means that someone used your account to send money without your permission, correct?

Does PayPal investigate that somehow? Do they disable your account (like a credit card)?

I guess I'm wondering what stops anyone from doing this with any transaction?

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2014 10:20 |  #74

Except PayPal.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 05, 2014 10:20 |  #75

gusnjax wrote in post #16736159 (external link)
Let's put in real terms......know one got scammed now.

Paypal got scammed. Basically, there are now two thefts - The original scammer stole from you, and you in turn, stole from Paypal.

That's like saying "Nobody gets hurt when people shoplift"

Next time, either be smart, or take it like a man.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

10,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying and using Paypal Gift
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.