Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2014 (Monday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 09:10 |  #1

First off , please excuse me if I have incorrectly placed this in the wrong section , please move to the appropriate should you wish...:)

Now dont laugh but.. I got myself all freaked out -Im from little old England with no real dangerous animals roaming when Im out landscape photographing and Ive just booked a trip to Cannmore , Canada , Its been a long awaited dream to go to Canada and photograph the stunning scenery.

The problem is now its booked I cant help feeling totally freaked out at the thought of me treading on the doorstep of these great creatures and upsetting them, Im sure this will raise a smile on the face of some of you who know and live in thiese types of places and Im also sure there can be no guarantees I wont come across one of them , in fact judging by the Cougar sighting map (external link) , they are everywhere, Night or Day..:eek:

Now Im going to study hard on everything related to Bears and Cougars between now and July 19th when I go , and what to do and what not to do when/if-hope never confronted by one, but I ask my photographing community who either travel to these places or live amoungst them for advice , experiences on encounters however scary.

Ive ordered a book on "Bear attacks and Avoidances" by Stephen Herrero (external link) (Over the top?)
and intend to read the heck out of it ,although the more I read the worse Im getting!.... obvouslly Bear spray is first on my list after landing!

Love to hear how you cope with all this?

Many thanks

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
BobG
205 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 03, 2014 09:21 |  #2

Cougars and bears generally try to avoid people. Make some noise while walking in the woods and they will avoid you.

T2i & 30D 50mm1.8II 18-200mm IS 18-55mm IS 430EX II

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 09:29 |  #3

BobG wrote in post #16731121 (external link)
Cougars and bears generally try to avoid people. Make some noise while walking in the woods and they will avoid you.

Thanks Bob , thats on my list! , I seen stories of mountain bikers getting had by cougars.. and one in the UK newspaper only this week stalkng 2 kids and one of them shot it!

I should stop Googling stuff I think.

Isnt the begining of July Mating Season for Bears?.. does that mean no baby bears in July?

Also I see "Travel in Groups" as one helpgul thing.. Only me and the missus and she wouldnt get out the car in Tromso at Christmas to see the Northern lights for fear of being attacked by a Reindeer .. Im doomed!

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

BobG
205 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 03, 2014 09:43 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #4

Mountain bikers are usually moving very fast and that makes it easy to startle cougars and hikers. The last thing you want to do is to startle a cougar.

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 09:47 |  #5

BobG wrote in post #16731177 (external link)
Mountain bikers are usually moving very fast and that makes it easy to startle cougars and hikers. The last thing you want to do is to startle a cougar.

...Not helping Bob...:lol:

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 03, 2014 09:51 |  #6

You're probably safe from a cougar if you're in a group, but you should read this: http://www.cougarinfo.​org/attacks3.htm (external link)

Some people recommend wearing bells to notify bears that they're in the area & giving them a chance to avoid you. There's an old joke... "You can tell the difference between cougar scat & bear poop. Bear poop has little bells in it!" ; D

Be careful, & have fun!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 03, 2014 09:59 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

For several years this was one of my neighbors. He's just a big kitty and we all got along just fine.

We also had a clowder of bobcats living nearby. I considered them more dangerous than the puma, as they were much more unpredictable.

If you do encounter one of our furry friends in the wild, don't panic. Avoid direct eye contact, don't turn your back on them until well away, don't shout or scream, and most definitely don't run. Make moderate noises, back away slowly, and look down while doing so and you will almost certainly be fine.

As has been said, make a little noise while you're out and about and you'll be fine.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 10:09 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16731196 (external link)
You're probably safe from a cougar if you're in a group, but you should read this: http://www.cougarinfo.​org/attacks3.htm (external link)

Some people recommend wearing bells to notify bears that they're in the area & giving them a chance to avoid you. There's an old joke... "You can tell the difference between cougar scat & bear poop. Bear poop has little bells in it!" ; D

Be careful, & have fun!

Thanks for the link , I'll get right into that , Bells huh?.. thats intresting appreciate you posting . :) cheers

20droger wrote in post #16731215 (external link)
For several years this was one of my neighbors. We all got along just fine.

As has been said, make a little noise while you're out and about and you'll be fine.

Gulp! :D Many thanks.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2014 10:34 |  #9

Hello, James.

Based on many years experience in bear and big cat territories I believe the biggest threat you will face is to your budget. If you are fortunate enough to see a cougar it will almost certainly be at a distance only bridged by an expensive telephoto.

Best wishes for a fine visit.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 10:51 |  #10

AZGeorge wrote in post #16731290 (external link)
Hello, James.

Based on many years experience in bear and big cat territories I believe the biggest threat you will face is to your budget. If you are fortunate enough to see a cougar it will almost certainly be at a distance only bridged by an expensive telephoto.

Best wishes for a fine visit.

Many thanks for the calming post :D

Wait.. Arizona... next to Nevada?.. Im also heading to Las Vegas on the same trip, what have I got to look out for there?

I dont know how anyone copes outside Europe! Everything wants to kill you.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,988 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2014 10:53 |  #11

You are not going to have any problems whatsoever with either of these species. Guaranteed. Don't even think about it anymore. Don't waste time learning about bear attacks or how to avoid cougars. Just stop it. Instead, spend your time reading books about scenic landscape photography - that's what your trip is about, so prepare for it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 03, 2014 11:05 |  #12

If you are really concerned for your safety while out and about in the wild you could hire a certified/registered guide. A good guide will be able to keep you as safe as possible while increasing your chances of seeing some of the local wildlife.

I suspect that you will be vising popular "tourist" areas in which people visit at high rates which allows the animals to acclimate/avoid the human presence. I think you should only be lightly concerned if you're planning on heading off in to the areas of the deep woods where very few, if any one at all, ever go.

BobG
205 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 03, 2014 11:06 |  #13

*Jayrou wrote in post #16731323 (external link)
Many thanks for the calming post :D

Wait.. Arizona... next to Nevada?.. Im also heading to Las Vegas on the same trip, what have I got to look out for there?

I dont know how anyone copes outside Europe! Everything wants to kill you.

Arizona and Nevada are snake country.:wink:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8176/7990561234_c2096a15e4_c.jpg

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 03, 2014 12:43 |  #14

BobG wrote in post #16731347 (external link)
Arizona and Nevada are snake country.:wink:
QUOTED IMAGE

Oh yeah! Lots and lots of those! Don't pick up rocks and don't put your hands into holes. You never know what under them or in them. Especially in the heat of the day.

Jo3r1
213 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 03, 2014 12:50 |  #15

July, that's the time of the year where you have millions of retired rich people in their noisy, slow, rented rv's in the area, scaring the **** out of every wild animal so they stay miles away.
If you go in the backcountry, you might see some wildlife if you're lucky. If you stay around Canmore or the other towns in/near the national parks, no way you will see anything dangerous. If any, it's probably moose you should me most worried about btw.

WEBSITE (external link) - 500PX (external link) - INSTAGRAM (external link)

sponsored links

12,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.