Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2014 (Monday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2014 09:00 |  #76

*Jayrou wrote in post #16740676 (external link)
Edit: Read some of the comments , I like "What I have learnt from this book is dont let your Wife Read it if you want to take her BackPacking"

Always take you wife with you when you go into the wild, or someone else who runs slower than you do.

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,057 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 07, 2014 09:51 |  #77

melcat wrote in post #16740635 (external link)
I don't know in what areas black bears don't hibernate.

I don't have the answer to that, except that location interacts with weather. A recent news story said that this winter had been so warm that bears in California mountains were still awake.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,919 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 07, 2014 10:00 |  #78

Awake or waking up too early?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,919 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 07, 2014 10:28 |  #79

While in Calgary check out the Calgary Tower. Somebody told me they took a horse up there to stand on the glass floor to show how strong it was. They could have been kidding around. The Calgarians will know the answer.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/Zenon1/Calgary​-Tower.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,057 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 07, 2014 10:31 |  #80

digital paradise wrote in post #16741139 (external link)
Awake or waking up too early?

The bears hadn't gone to bed.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,919 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 07, 2014 10:33 |  #81

OhLook wrote in post #16741211 (external link)
The bears hadn't gone to bed.

Wow. They are going to be extra cranky this summer.

Image Editing OK

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 07, 2014 12:33 |  #82

melcat wrote in post #16740635 (external link)
It was more that I was comparing what I knew about snakes with what I didn't know about bears. (But your suggestion is still useful - I have bookmarked a link on rattlers in CA.) E.g. I don't know in what areas black bears don't hibernate.

here you go

http://www.bear.org …ack-bear/hibernation.html (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 07, 2014 14:08 |  #83

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16738640 (external link)
What I always find interesting when this topic comes up is that many of the people who give advice and pointers have never had any encounters with bears. All they do is repeat what they heard somewhere. It's just like all the people on lens threads who tell you what lens to get, who have never even used that lens before. Advice without personal experience is worthless.

Agree. Sort of. I guess most is better than no advice.

I thought I'd keep my bear encounter out of this thread since I thought the objective was NOT to scare the OP into not going.

But here is my thought. I've been charged by a Grizzly with young cubs (she didn't have the cubs with her when she charged) in Denali NP on a backpacking trip. The details are a bit long to go though and I won't say it wasn't frightening, but I still don't know if I would bother carrying pepper spray - I haven't since. And yes, we continued the trip rather than hiking out.

My advice is that in areas away from where bears will encounter a lot of people, figure out what the bear wants you to do - they are not going to do something just for the sake of it. In my case the bear was essentially saying 'don't even think about camping here'. We figured out the next day that her den was just up the ridge from our tent.

And I'm talking grizzlies here. I don't even consider black bears as a threat.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 07, 2014 14:15 |  #84

*Jayrou wrote in post #16740676 (external link)
I have taken delivery of the book I mentioned in the OP
Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance (external link)

I started reading that (I think after my bear encounter) and couldn't finish it. I still hike in bear country and wouldn't hesitate to go back out to Denali, even the same location, but I'm not sure I can recommend the book. It certainly wouldn't have helped me, probably just freaked me out more.

I still stick with the 'stay calm and figure out what the bear is doing/wants/is trying to tell you' mantra. What how he/she reacts to what you do and be aware of your surroundings.

Like they say 'stand your ground'. Might be good advice in some cases, but not in others, same with 'play dead', 'make noise' etc..

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,919 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 07, 2014 15:40 |  #85

I'll try and stay out of on trouble with this but my breakdown based on bears and watching NG programs, etc and personal encounters. I did a couple of random searches and they came up with the same thing.

1. Make noise when you walk.

2. You see one, be quite, stop don't run and let it move on.

3. Look around for cubs, slowly back away.

4. If it comes at you make noise and try to look bigger.

5. If a black bear attacks me I'm going to try and fight it off.

6. If a brown which includes a grizzly attacks me I'm going to play dead of I can handle it.

I have encountered 1, 2 and 4. Hopefully I never get to test out 5 and 6. I have no experience with those two but I nothing else to base it on, just watch I've learned over time.

Image Editing OK

nordlysBW
363 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2014 12:19 as a reply to  @ post 16731591 |  #86

Count yourself lucky if you get to see a bear at all on the trails. You're more likely to spot one when driving around. This being said, we had a grizzly walk across the road at Rundle Crescent (Canmore), around 9pm, heading for the Bow River in late September!

In June or July you will meet many other people on the most popular trail.

There is safety in numbers. If it can reassure you, you can ask other people if you might join them on a trail. Car parks at the head of many trails are the best spot to ask. Other solo travellers might be pleased to meet somebody who will venture into the wild with them. Here's your chance!

The local sportshops in Canmore stock bear spray. if you feel better having one with you on the trails, get a can (you'll have to fill an official form on the spot) and learn how to use it,. Forget bear bells, They are not noisy enough to be of any use. Sing, talk in a loud voice, clap your hands at intervals, etc..., especially in tight spots. Check on the Park Canada website if there are any special bear or cougar warnings on specific trails which you want to walk on. Please also note that on some trails you cannot go solo, but have to build a party of four or six.

Enjoy your trip! The rattlers mentioned above are much more of a pain. And these you won't find in Canmore.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,511 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2014 06:10 |  #87

digital paradise wrote in post #16736915 (external link)
You just need to keep making noise so bringing your wife or girlfriend is a great idea :D.

LMAO
bw!

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 13, 2014 15:43 |  #88

at most I would be worried about snakes. I will generally wear snake gaiters or snake proof boots if i'm truly off stomping around off the beaten path. But i wouldn't sweat cougars or bears really.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,496 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 13, 2014 16:08 |  #89

Look most people don't realize they can't outrun a bear, but you don't have to outrun the bear you just have to outrun the other people with you. So start training now. :)

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

nordlysBW
363 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2014 12:28 |  #90

TTUShooter wrote in post #16756319 (external link)
at most I would be worried about snakes.

Quite wise. The great thing is that Banff and Jasper National Parks have no venomous snakes crawling around. Moving down south in British Columbia you'll encounter the first rattlers. The semi arid patches around Kamloops for instance are rattler territory, but no comparison with Arizona or Texas.

sponsored links

12,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.