Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?

Kirth ­ Gersen
220 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2014 02:53 |  #1

Any views on whether Canon are likely to drive its development of FF systems towards 36mp / wider dynamic range like the D800? I would love to stay with the Canon family- (prefer the ergonomics and user interface) but the D800 is very tempting come the day I upgrade.

Canon 6D: Canon 85mm f/1.8 ~ Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 ~ 70-300mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 ~ Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ~ Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2.0
Fuji X100F
Leica M6: Leica Sumicron 35mm ~ Leica Sumicron 75mm
Pentax 67: Pentax 105mm f/2.4 ~ Pentax 55mm f/4.0

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2014 03:42 |  #2

It's anyone's guess at this point, but the new high-MP camera from Canon is often rumored to be a 1-series, so it wouldn't be anywhere in the same price range anyway. If you really want access to a 36mp sensor with 14 stops of DR right now, the best way to do it would be with the Sony a7r, since you can get an adapter and use all your Canon lenses, and as a plus, you'll get to use the "mini-Otus" 55mm f/1.8

IMO, it would seem that all the major camera manufacturers are holding out for Photokina 2014, so you likely won't see any new (major) announcements until mid-September. It doesn't seem like anything major will come out of NAB 2014, but I could be wrong.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2014 03:53 |  #3

They have patents for high MP sensors so we know they are thinking about it at least.

Kirth ­ Gersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2014 04:53 |  #4

I can wait a year or so. Still on the 7D learning curve and enjoying it immensely. Not sure about the real NEED to go FF. Sometimes (usually close ups), I really nail a picture and say to myself: 'why do I want more'. And printed versions always look better than pixel peeping a screen. Then again there are times when I need to crop heavily on a long shot, the results can be disappointing. That plus the extra DR and the extra stop or 2 of low light capability makes the proposition attractive.

As for the A7R. My mind is open to it. I just don't know yet. When you say it can take all Canon lenses with an adapter, does that include EFS lenses?

Canon 6D: Canon 85mm f/1.8 ~ Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 ~ 70-300mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 ~ Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ~ Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2.0
Fuji X100F
Leica M6: Leica Sumicron 35mm ~ Leica Sumicron 75mm
Pentax 67: Pentax 105mm f/2.4 ~ Pentax 55mm f/4.0

elitejp
Goldmember
1,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 04, 2014 05:26 as a reply to  @ Kirth Gersen's post |  #5

I think Canon will respond to the d800 but by then nikon will have already responded to the d800 by making a successor.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2014 06:47 |  #6

Kirth Gersen wrote in post #16733197 (external link)
As for the A7R. My mind is open to it. I just don't know yet. When you say it can take all Canon lenses with an adapter, does that include EFS lenses?

EF-S lenses should work since the a7r has an in-menu toggle for aps-c crop mode, you go down to just 15mp of resolution, but the dynamic range is still there.

The autofocus speed does take a big hit, at least until the next generation adapter comes out, but the need for lots of DR and resolution means shooting at ISO100 on a tripod, so AF speed and accuracy is merely a bonus for the intended use.

But if for some reason you want a camera that's both fast and can shoot high fidelity images, then I can see 3 possibilities for the near future:
1. D800E with Nikon glass
2. a7R with alpha lenses via the LA-EA4 adapter
3. wait for Canon's solution

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2014 07:17 |  #7

I think its unlikely in the near or medium future. Canon would have to rebuild its sensor manufacturing base and that's not going to be cheap, its the downside of "growing-your own".

On the other hand, I imagine than Sony would be only too pleased to sell the sensors to Canon!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2014 08:27 |  #8

Kirth Gersen wrote in post #16733110 (external link)
Any views on whether Canon are likely to drive its development of FF systems towards 36mp / wider dynamic range like the D800? I would love to stay with the Canon family- (prefer the ergonomics and user interface) but the D800 is very tempting come the day I upgrade.

I had the 7d and then upgraded to a 1ds miii. That was a huge upgrade in image quality from my perspective. Then I looked for another body and it came down to the Sony a7r, Canon 5D MIII and the Nikon D800. After playing, I mean carefully weighing the pros and cons of each shooting with them I grudgingly went with the Nikon D800. Eventually I'll get around to selling off my Canon lens but right now I'm having to much fun seeing what this new body can do. It is every bit as huge a jump up from the 1ds miii as the 1ds miii was from the 7d.

Bottom line is it isn't that steep a learning curve as some would have you believe in switching and learning a new body.

One last thing I'll mention in the D800's favor is that It's hard to get an oof shot with its focusing system. The lens aren't quite as snappy as their canon counterparts when acquiring focus but they nail it pretty much every time.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 04, 2014 08:29 |  #9

Lowner wrote in post #16733339 (external link)
I think its unlikely in the near or medium future. Canon would have to rebuild its sensor manufacturing base and that's not going to be cheap, its the downside of "growing-your own".

Unless you are an insider, you have no idea if they are not 99% there yet...
I'm in the business of qualifying fab processes (among other things) and unless you are a integral part of that team, you have no idea what is happening.

On the other hand, I imagine than Sony would be only too pleased to sell the sensors to Canon!

Maybe or maybe Nikon will throw a hissy fit (legally speaking) ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 04, 2014 08:39 |  #10

Unless Nikon's contract with Sony rules that out!

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,271 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2014 08:46 |  #11

I really don't know if Canon will answer the D800 (resolution and DR), but if they don't, then I wonder what else will differentiate, say, a 5D IV from a 5D III. Sure, there is still some ground to gain in the high ISO department and they can throw in some stuff like wifi, gps, and dual-pixel sensor AF. And, if they give the 5D IV enough of those things it will be heralded as a great new camera. But if they don't get around to making the basic ISO 100 image quality better, then Canon starts to look like 1980's US automakers: same ol' cars year after year, but with more and more cupholders.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 04, 2014 08:52 |  #12

It's too late for Canon to respond to the D800. That ship has come and gone. They need to be preparing for the D800s replacement. I'm sure Nikon and Sony have not been standing still and recent releases be Sony seems to indicate that there have already been improvements.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 04, 2014 08:54 |  #13

David Arbogast wrote in post #16733481 (external link)
I really don't know if Canon will answer the D800 (resolution and DR), but if they don't, then I wonder what else will differentiate, say, a 5D IV from a 5D III. Sure, there is still some ground to gain in the high ISO department and they can throw in some stuff like wifi, gps, and dual-pixel sensor AF. And, if they give the 5D IV enough of those things it will be heralded as a great new camera. But if they don't get around to making the basic ISO 100 image quality better, then Canon starts to look like 1980's US automakers: same ol' cars year after year, but with more and more cupholders.

I have read a few articles that Canon is working hard on 4K video. That is one place Canon still has a clear lead so maybe that is where they are placing all their eggs. Leave the still images to Nikon and concentrate on video. It sort of makes sense looking at Canons last few camera releases.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 04, 2014 08:59 |  #14

Kirth Gersen wrote in post #16733110 (external link)

They did it's called the 5DmkIII, those tinkering with firmware have shown it does have comparable DR, just held back by Canon (look at Magic Lantern if that's key), and at 22MP, with modern upscaling software very few needs cannot be met for prints, and if you're cropping that heavily it's time to move or get better glass. And by shooting at 22MP instead of 36MP you're not buying hard drives at quite the same rate.

The camera's in their natural state do take to slightly different markets, but put a competent D800 user and a competent 5DmkIII user next to each other and the end result of the images is going to be quite minimal. If you unplug from the now years old hyping of the cameras, or the decades on Canon vs Nikon battle; look at where your investment lies and what will maximize your long term returns, I suspect you'll be happier than seeking out the flavor of the week camera. Not saying don't get the Nikon, just saying you may want to approach the decision in a different manner, setting out a list of needs, then selecting the camera that best suits those needs.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2014 09:40 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #16733497 (external link)
I have read a few articles that Canon is working hard on 4K video. That is one place Canon still has a clear lead .........

Sorry, I've got zero interest in video.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

14,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.