Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #474 - people wearing hats

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 04, 2014 23:23 |  #1

Challenge #474 - people wearing hats

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/474_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

Thanks to all. Very nice group of photos. In order to prioritize some things that allow me to pick only three pictures and a winner from that three, I evaluated according to my own description of the topic: interesting picture and light, composition, exposure, colors or gray scale.
The comments, as always, are my personal appreciation, feel free to friendly agree or disagree.
Due to the gray skies and the rain in Quito, I think I am inclined to bright colors and plenty of light.

Comments in the same order as the pictures were posted:

• Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Kentucky Derby Party
    I thought "Ascot would be a good place to be for this challenge's photo". Obviously I forgot the Kentucky Derby, glad to see you went there. All the basics requirements for the challenge fulfilled: Interesting photo, brilliant colors, nice composition. The only thing, a personal preference, I think a tighter crop, showing mainly the top half may tell a better story of the hats without losing the surroundings. A hard to beat start for the week.
    -
  • northants nin – G12 – Music Festival Hat…… everyone has one!
    Nice hat, good gray scale, a tight close up of the hat. For me, a bit less of the left background may help, but it may create a difficult balance with the dark T shirt at right. For sure the music was appealing judging the expression of your subject.
    -
  • JimAskew – G5 – Fisherman's Hat
    Very nice rim light effect in the cap, the fisherman and the old trees. In this case, the wide framing produced the interesting photo and, as making the hat the main subject was not a requirement, you got a very nice entry.
    -
  • teekay – G1 – Safe Riders
    Lot of interesting things in this photo: the kids, the somewhat unusual helmets, the clouds and the water background. The light spot i the kids (a fill flash? a hole in the clouds above them?) enhances their presence in the slightly darker background. A very good balance of the elements in the image and, not less important, the old G1 still rivaling its modern G sisters.
    -
  • Spoco57 – G1X – Glass guy with hat: Corning Museum of Glass
    An interesting piece of glass and an intriguing combination of wings, man and hat. As in Jim's fisherman, you need the whole object captured to be descriptive. Nice color and textures. Can you share some details? age, origin and meaning of the object. Nice photo!
    -
  • OhLook – G15 – Dude, he ain't listenin' to ya
    The harsh environment converts the security helmets into objects with character. As in Maureen's photo, to my taste, a tighter framing without missing the clothes and construction details may help, but the photo is nice one before the crop too. Thanks for sharing.
    -
  • marie – Pro1 – college student's own design
    Beautiful young lady, nice hat and clothes. The scene asked for pastel colors, I agree with you on that, but I think that the post processing went a bit 'xtreme', and removed too much of the original bright colors and contrast.
    Not enough to hide the great capture of the moment that is normally your 'signature'.
    A very nice picture in spite of the comment about the post processing.
    -
  • Raven – G10 – Must have just watched The Lion King
    The kid, the lion and the kiss make a fantastic subject. The orange hat dominates the scene contrasting with the neutral stone and the dark background at left. I like the attitude, the composition, the colors. The only unfortunate thing is the slightly blurred head and hat.Not enough to make it a bad capture, unless you go for a large print. I liked it a lot.
    -

As described above, better lit subjects and bright colors went on top.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/474_thumbnails_winners.jpg

teekay, as many times before this challenge, you are the host for the new challenge #475 :)
Congratulations and good luck!

Regards

rafael

Challenge description:

People wearing any type of hat or cap or hat-like 'thing' used in the head.
I'm sorry, I guess you have many different names for them, just as in Spanish, my mother language.
The idea is, feel free to post pictures of people wearing any object that broadly falls in the category :)

Post an interesting picture that has also good composition, interesting light, good exposure, nice colors (B&W also allowed) etc.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 10 March 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12 ,G1X, G15, G16) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,254 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 05, 2014 14:11 |  #2

Kentucky Derby Party

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

northants ­ nin
109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 05, 2014 14:53 |  #3

Music Festival Hat…… everyone has one!

G12

HOSTED PHOTO

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 05, 2014 16:12 as a reply to  @ northants nin's post |  #4

Fisherman's Hat

G5 (from long ago)

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 06, 2014 18:25 as a reply to  @ JimAskew's post |  #5

Safe Riders

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G1

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 07, 2014 20:51 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #6

Glass guy with hat: Corning Museum of Glass

G1X

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/13001545545_807a30a2aa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …94424478@N08/13​001545545/  (external link)
hatcrop (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Mar 08, 2014 13:28 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #7

Dude, he ain't listenin' to ya

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 09, 2014 06:23 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #8

college student's own design

Pro1
1/10 f2.4

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/145930579/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 09, 2014 19:13 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #9

Must have just watched The Lion King

G10

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v82/p87625655-5.jpg

~ Jim

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 10, 2014 08:35 |  #10

Thanks to all for the participation in the challenge.
Challenge #474 - people wearing hats is now CLOSED for judging.
Results will be announced later today.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 10, 2014 21:38 |  #11

WINNERS announced on the first post.

Your comments are welcome.

-

rafael

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 11, 2014 05:22 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #12

Congratulations to Teekay, Jim (Raven), and Maureen...wonderful photos all. In fact great entries across the board. Thanks Rafael (rpolitsr) for a fun, challenging contest. Hats are a universal item of wear and, in fact, I wear a "touring cap" every time I set foot outdoors :-)

My favorite was Jim's (Raven) youngster with the stone lion...just a lovely photo :-)

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,254 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 11, 2014 05:29 |  #13

Congrats to teekay & Jim! Rafael, I have a cropped version of my photo but it didn't feel right. I also took 2' other shots of the same group of people but in the end, I picked this one.....

Nice entries everyone. Marie, I love the old fashioned feel of your photo. Teekay, that lighting is just perfect.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 11, 2014 06:37 |  #14

Teekay, that lighting! It's hard to beat a dark sky background and sunshine foreground, especially illuminating such wonderful faces. Great shots by Raven and Maureen as well. Gratz to all!

Rafael, my shot was taken through the glass of an exhibit at the Corning Museum of Glass. It's an early 20th century work... some sort of vase or bowl about 8" high. I don't remember the artist name but it reminded me of Chagall. It was pretty much the only 'hat' pic I had besides bike helmets and the top-hats I'd already used for another challenge and I posted it for fun. Those museum shots are always a bit tricky since you can only use available lighting and you're battling reflections but the Corning Museum has some of the most extensive and beautiful glass art on display anywhere.

Oh yeah, Thank You Rafael, for the AWESOME job of hosting. I love the thumbnails and kind commentary, and the special medal section for winners! Very cool!

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 11, 2014 07:01 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #15

: )

Congratulations to Teekay
and to Jim and Maureen
they are beautiful photos and from everyone
Teekay did you add in that sky ? I just mention it as you said somewhere before that you added in a blue sky when you have pale ones. I see the beautiful sunshine on the children's faces so it is a lovely day for their outing and its a beautiful photo showing their hats and expressions
also Jims photo loved it soon as seen and Maureens is gorgeous too
:cool:
great hosting challenge and results Rafael and thank you for all mentioned and also for display of the photos in the line up above and thanks Maureen.
:
)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links

6,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #474 - people wearing hats
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.