Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Westcott Ice Light

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 05, 2014 20:10 |  #1

Anyone make their own Ice Light? I just finished mine up and I'm in the process of making tutorial. I'll have a link to it once its been posted on my site. This is based off of another DIY on the web that uses the same material but I go more in-depth and actually provide a full list and names of each item. I've also made some other modifications to it as well.

I just need to drill the cap to add a 1/4-20 reducer bushing adapter for tripods. I have to buy gaffers tape and tape off one half of the main light so it doesn't light up 360 degrees. All PVC parts cost me about $8. The flashlight was about $18 including batteries and charger.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. My coworker borrowed my G15.

IMAGE: http://i62.tinypic.com/2yysbxk.jpg
IMAGE: http://i58.tinypic.com/5o2hg.jpg

I was originally going to use a lightbulb tube that was clear but it was too thin to the point where it can bend and crack. I also couldn't find the right parts to hold the flashlight.

Comments or questions?

TUTORIAL POSTED: http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com …afire-flashlight-pvc.html (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

sponsored links
JoseCanseco
684 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 05, 2014 20:56 |  #2

Beauty! Subscribing for the tut

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link)

tmalone893
Goldmember
1,980 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 05, 2014 21:18 |  #3

I like it. Looking forward to seeing your tutorial.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

*Knowledge*
976 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2014 21:20 |  #4

Awesome, looks clean. Staying tuned for the write up and sample shots.

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 05, 2014 21:46 |  #5

I do have to note that the Westcott Ice Light is 1160 lumens. The flashlight lumens varies. It can be 900-1000 lumens. Also depends on the quality of the flashlight.

I finished up majority of the writing and tutorial. I just need to wait for my coworker to come back from her vacay with my camera so I can take pics, drill the hole and take more pics.

This is by far the cleanest and probably the least work needed. It'll take you no more than 10-15 mins to put it together. I've seen some where they took a PVC and cut it in half, used zip ties to hold the flashlight inside the PVC tube and didn't look nice. No tape, glue or cutting needed.

FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 05, 2014 22:44 |  #6

Am I the only one who's pretty much "meh" about the IceLight, overall?

This is not knocking the build, 1KIND. Looks great, and I'd be interested in seeing it because if I find any kind of interest in using it I'd rather build one. Otherwise, the product concept itself seems like a weird effort to create something that there's no apparent demand for...like it was made out of boredom, or as part of a wager... "Let's see if we can sell this!"
I fully admit I may be in the minority, someone who doesn't "get" it. But, I really don't.

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 05, 2014 22:52 |  #7

dave63 wrote in post #16737833 (external link)
Am I the only one who's pretty much "meh" about the IceLight, overall?

This is not knocking the build, 1KIND. Looks great, and I'd be interested in seeing it because if I find any kind of interest in using it I'd rather build one. Otherwise, the product concept itself seems like a weird effort to create something that there's no apparent demand for...like it was made out of boredom, or as part of a wager... "Let's see if we can sell this!"
I fully admit I may be in the minority, someone who doesn't "get" it. But, I really don't.

Its ok. I'm "meh" on the ice light idea also. I'll probably rarely use it but it beats spending $500 plus tax. I know a few wedding photogs who use it. I guess its a matter of preference and style/creativity.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,408 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 05, 2014 23:20 |  #8

is it just me or does that similar to a lightsabre?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

*Knowledge*
976 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2014 23:33 |  #9

I'm 'meh' about the IceLight price but man that thing works like a charm. My buddy won an IceLight at WPPI last year and he used that thing to its potential.

I'm curious to see how soft this light throws at subjects.

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 06, 2014 06:42 |  #10

joeseph wrote in post #16737887 (external link)
is it just me or does that similar to a lightsabre?

Pretty much. Thats the first thing that popped into my head and probably pretty much everyones when they see it.

*Knowledge* wrote in post #16737906 (external link)
I'm 'meh' about the IceLight price but man that thing works like a charm. My buddy won an IceLight at WPPI last year and he used that thing to its potential.

I'm curious to see how soft this light throws at subjects.

This setup does not have a dimmer like the Ice Light but it does have 5 settings. High, Medium, Low, Strobe and SOS. The last two would be of no use but at least you can change the brightness.

I wanted to buy LED strips/bars and use that instead of the flashlight but trying to get it powered was an issue. No battery in a portable form factor that I can think of that was small enough in size to power 2-3 LED bars. If I was able to find one, it probably wouldn't have lasted long.

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2014 08:45 |  #11

Okay...having spent a not-dismissable number of years working in electronics, I have to ask... what kind of strips/bars were you looking at that you couldn't find a power supply for?
I can drive over to my last job - electronics parts sales - buy four LED light strips, and a power supply from the back room, and have LED light all day.
The ones I'm thinking of at the moment come from Velleman. They run at 12v and around 800mA, each, so 3-4 of them could be powered by a 12v/4A power supply with a little room to spare. This is, of course, if you're expecting to be powered by AC somewhere.
As it stands, lately there have been more and more portable LED kits/experiments/etc. that have decent battery life and could be configured for the IceLight approach. Wouldn't be surprised if Sparkfun has something like that, now (it's been a year since I've been over there, so I couldn't say at the moment).

Another option would be EL wire. Those come with a little transformer that converts DC to AC, and some kits are dimmable.

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 06, 2014 09:10 |  #12

dave63 wrote in post #16738519 (external link)
Okay...having spent a not-dismissable number of years working in electronics, I have to ask... what kind of strips/bars were you looking at that you couldn't find a power supply for?
I can drive over to my last job - electronics parts sales - buy four LED light strips, and a power supply from the back room, and have LED light all day.
The ones I'm thinking of at the moment come from Velleman. They run at 12v and around 800mA, each, so 3-4 of them could be powered by a 12v/4A power supply with a little room to spare. This is, of course, if you're expecting to be powered by AC somewhere.
As it stands, lately there have been more and more portable LED kits/experiments/etc. that have decent battery life and could be configured for the IceLight approach. Wouldn't be surprised if Sparkfun has something like that, now (it's been a year since I've been over there, so I couldn't say at the moment).

Another option would be EL wire. Those come with a little transformer that converts DC to AC, and some kits are dimmable.

If its running off of wall outlet, you can get anything to work. Purpose for me with the Ice Light is portability especially when you're not near an outlet. Also, when dealing with LEDs and parts, it would of costed more and required skills like soldering (which not everyone knows).

I was looking at something like this - http://www.oznium.com/​smd-bar (external link) or http://www.superbright​leds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/ (external link)

I've ordered multiple LEDs from Oznium and they are high quality lights. Made and sold cathode light kits for trunks.

I wouldn't mind this route as I would be able to choose my own LEDs and even add my own dimmer since its all customizable but the rechargeable battery is an area I'm not familiar with.

little ­ canon
277 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 08, 2014 07:53 |  #13

Please keep us up to date when your tutorial is complete- I would enjoy making one or two of these and maybe even a few extras for my kids ;)

I want lenses more than diamonds.
5DmkIII x2 | Canon: 100-400LmkII, 135mm 2.0L, 100mm 2.8L, 24-70LmkII | Zeiss: 100mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 11, 2014 22:17 |  #14

Got back my G15. Finishing up the tutorial but here are some of the pics:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight21.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight22.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight23.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight24.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight25.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …orials/diy_icel​ight26.jpg (external link)

little ­ canon
277 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 12, 2014 16:20 |  #15

The light on the side is Stitches face make him look so sinister ;) hehe

I want lenses more than diamonds.
5DmkIII x2 | Canon: 100-400LmkII, 135mm 2.0L, 100mm 2.8L, 24-70LmkII | Zeiss: 100mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4

sponsored links

9,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Westcott Ice Light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.