Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 01:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 A7R Light Leak (images)

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 08, 2014 01:23 |  #1

Hello all,

I've been testing out the Sony A7R (external link) quite a bit recently, and I somewhat by accident came across a couple images that struck me as odd flares, and connected it with a potential lens flare only after the fact.

I'm wondering if you guys can take a look at the following image to help determine if this is the cause of a potential light leak:

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://www.grahamclark​photo.com …3/Sony-A7R-Light-Leak.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Click here (external link) to download the .ARW, .TIFF and hi-res JPEG

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Sony-A7R-Light-Leak-Closeup-Top-Left.jpg

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://www.grahamclark​photo.com …ak-Closeup-Top-Right1.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Notice how when the composition is every so slightly changed it's nearly nonexistent? But the presence of any kind of leak would have a negative impact on saturation and contrast.

I'll certainly test this tomorrow, but at first glance the flare appears to be from something metal. Notice the coloration within the flare? It also has the texture of metal as opposed to something translucent.

Graham

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 08, 2014 01:47 |  #2

I am not sure if that is a light leak. Could be.

Have you seen this solution? http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …ow-to-temporarely-fix-it/ (external link)

It is not as dumb as it looks, and as a bonus, it also gives extra protection against dust and moisture.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 03:51 |  #3

If you follow the links, you get to here: http://community.sony.​com …R-Light-leaks/td-p/254835 (external link)

So yes, it is that light leak issue they've been talking about. The light is coming in between the silver and orange part of the mount.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 08, 2014 04:36 |  #4

Off-topic: "I find the autofocus speed of the A7R to be the same as the 5D3/6D"

Huh?! :lol: you are the first ive heard claim this. Must be in perfect lighting conditions right?

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,767 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 08, 2014 07:23 as a reply to  @ thedcmule2's post |  #5

What lens was used here? A native FE mount lens, or an adapted lens?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 08, 2014 11:11 |  #6

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16742860 (external link)
Off-topic: "I find the autofocus speed of the A7R to be the same as the 5D3/6D"

Huh?! :lol: you are the first ive heard claim this. Must be in perfect lighting conditions right?

Autofocus of both cameras in live view is identical.

It's funny that out of hundreds of lines of field notes you pick up on that point.

- -

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 11:56 |  #7

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16743428 (external link)

It's funny that out of hundreds of lines of field notes you pick up on that point.

Ok, now that makes the a7R autofocus sound terrible, because there's nothing slower than the 5D3 liveview autofocus speed, except maybe the 5D2 LV AF.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 08, 2014 11:59 |  #8

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16743515 (external link)
Ok, now that makes the a7R autofocus sound terrible, because there's nothing slower than the 5D3 liveview autofocus speed, except maybe the 5D2 LV AF.

1-2 seconds for AF as opposed to quarter of a second on any SLR

- -

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,767 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 08, 2014 12:04 |  #9

Meaningless discussion if the lens-type isn't stated. 1-2 seconds to AF a native Sony FE-mount lens, or an adapted lens? Of course Canon-mount lenses are going to AF slow, why would anyone expect otherwise?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 08, 2014 12:41 |  #10

David Arbogast wrote in post #16743533 (external link)
Meaningless discussion if the lens-type isn't stated. 1-2 seconds to AF a native Sony FE-mount lens, or an adapted lens? Of course Canon-mount lenses are going to AF slow, why would anyone expect otherwise?

David,

- Autofocus speed of native E-mount lenses and Canon EF lenses with Metabones adapter is equal
- Canon EF lenses autofocus with identical performance as on a Canon with Live View...

Graham

- -

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 08, 2014 18:59 |  #11

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16743515 (external link)

Huh? The 5D3 live-view in quick-mode setting is incredibly fast, about half a second or less to focus here. I doubt a7r is identical...in anything other than quick-mode (where the LCD disables to get focus quicker) they just might be though.

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16743428 (external link)

It was a really good page, really good. I just picked it out cause it was the first time I heard the a7r autofocus being identical to the 5d3 but didn't realize you meant in liveview mode which makes sense.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 09, 2014 03:32 |  #12

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16744259 (external link)
Huh? The 5D3 live-view in quick-mode setting is incredibly fast, about half a second or less to focus here. I doubt a7r is identical...in anything other than quick-mode (where the LCD disables to get focus quicker) they just might be though.

Quick mode is terrible and no one uses it, how is it an argument?

In quick focus, the mirror flips down to let the regular phase-AF system take focus duties, so of course it's going to be fast. But while contrast detect AF is slower, it's a lot more accurate, doesn't black out the view, and you can place the focus point anywhere... in other words it's actually useful.

The a7R does not have phase-AF on the sensor, it uses contrast detect AF, so it makes sense to only compare it to the contrast AF on the 5D3, in order to keep it apples-to-apples.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 09, 2014 10:50 |  #13

I remember reading about a woman who sent her camera in for repair. When it came back it wouldn't take images of ghosts anymore. So she sent it back & they "fixed" that problem, too! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 09, 2014 11:25 |  #14

I did a test on my A7 with Novoflex M adapter and 25mm Skopar with cap on. camera facing the bright window.
Shot a 30s exposure at f/4 and ISO 100, image was all black

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,764 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 10, 2014 06:10 |  #15

Mine appears to be fine too.

Gear List

sponsored links

5,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A7 A7R Light Leak (images)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.