Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you usually check "explore pages" on photo-services?

simak
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2014 14:38 |  #1

So, i`ve got a question.
Do somebody often look at (everyday i means) the "explore pages" (pages with best photos) on popular photo-services like flickr, 500px etc ?

I usually do this almost every day, when i have free 5 minutes, like to see all these new great captures everyday. So usually i goes to flickr than to 500px than to Instagram maybe...

So i`d like to build some web page, where i could see these best photos in one place from all services, and i want to know are there somebody interested in it too? Or i am the only freak who wants this thing? )

Sorry for bad english.
I photograph from february 2008
Gear list | my flickr (external link) | simashin flickr tools (external link)

sponsored links
jay125
I don't remember 19
10,752 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2014 15:05 |  #2

I check out 500px and a few flickr pages every day, so it's not just you. Sometimes for inspiration and sometimes to see the creativity others possess. I guess that means you're not a freak. As for the site, it would be interesting, no doubt, but for me things like Pinterest or Instagram are a bit overwhelming. I kind of like having several sites bookmarked to check out.

feedback

gear list

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2014 16:22 |  #3

Requisite internet grumble: I don't think Flickr Explore represents the "best" of anything. Nobody seems to know how photos are selected to go there, but the last few times I've looked, only a small percentage of the images were what I might call "inspiring."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,029 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 12, 2014 00:14 |  #4

I check out the latest uploads from my contacts, but don't bother to look at the Explored pages. At least not intentionally. There's too much photoshopped stuff in there for my tastes.

nathancarter wrote in post #16751319 (external link)
Requisite internet grumble: I don't think Flickr Explore represents the "best" of anything. Nobody seems to know how photos are selected to go there, but the last few times I've looked, only a small percentage of the images were what I might call "inspiring."

I completely agree. I didn't think that any of the stuff in there was very good. It is certainly not a good representation of the "best" images on Flickr; not by any means. That's probably why I don't bother to look at those pages any more.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

simak
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 12, 2014 14:56 |  #5

Heh, seems nobody need it ).
I sat yesterday and while had some free time build simple page with images list of current best photos on flickr, 500px and instagram -
http://simashin.com/be​st_photos (external link)

Today tried to use it - just look two times a day, and it seems that Instagram is unnecessary on that page, of course there are some really good/interesting/inspi​ring images from it, but it is 2 of 100... The 500px explore seems to be the most interesting.

Ok i`ll try to use it (external link) sometime, maybe some ideas to do it better will come ))).

Thanks for all who answered first message in this thread.

Sorry for bad english.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,752 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2014 15:28 |  #6

That's actually a pretty cool page, simak. My question is are you supposed to credit those who took the photos? Just curious. I noticed if you click on them it takes it to the original post.

feedback

gear list

simak
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 13, 2014 00:31 |  #7

jay125 wrote in post #16753730 (external link)
My question is are you supposed to credit those who took the photos?

Actually did not understand the question, read about my english in my sign ).
I think you are talking about copyright maybe, so this is public content and every photo-service gives it to you through their API.

jay125 wrote in post #16753730 (external link)
I noticed if you click on them it takes it to the original post.

Of course, what if you want to comment or to fave or to make something else... This page is just about - gather explore photos, from many services in one place.

Sorry for bad english.

sponsored links

878 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you usually check "explore pages" on photo-services?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.