Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Howwww do you do this$$$?

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 12, 2014 16:18 |  #46

banquetbear wrote in post #16753608 (external link)
Here is a pretty standard sample invoice from a commercial photographer:

Really? With a 10.5K fee for usage rights? I wish that was standard for me!

sponsored links
AR15th
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 12, 2014 16:21 |  #47

i_am_cdn wrote in post #16753832 (external link)
AR15th, I totally get your comment on economic feasibility. It may not seem economic if the value of the work you do (not "you" specifically, the global "you"). But for Jarvis who routinely does 5 figure + contracts it is a drop in the bucket.

When I look back at when I started out, I would never have believed that 5 years later I would have the gear that I do, but now it is definitely essential.)

Perspective changes as your clientele builds, and the importance of that clientele also increases.

Personally I think Chase is wayyyy overboard on his digital back-up processes, but it works for him, and with his clients, I can see that it is "better safe than sorry".

Nothing wrong with renting when needed. Heck I did for a long time. There is one client that I would shoot for twice a year. It required two formal photo areas to be fully lit, and I had enough lighting gear to do the job. But I always rented a small 2 head lighting kit with modifiers and stands as a backup. It sat in the corner and was never used. but I can tell you if I had a lighting failure I would have been in big trouble if that gear was not there to bail me out. Eventually I upgraded my lighting and now my old kit sits in the corner and I don't rent anymore.

As others indicated your lenses will last forever (or a very long time) if you take care of them. You don't always need that latest and greatest, you can skip generations. I could buy 1Dx Cameras, but why? The 1D IV works great. In a few years when I have to upgrade I will. but if your current gear does the trick keep it. If the Mark I version of the lens you have goes to Mark II, only upgrade because you have a business reason to do so.

That makes sense!

Canon 6D | Canon T3i
-StreetLookbook.com- (external link)
-StreeAri.Tumblr- (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2014 16:21 |  #48

AR15th wrote in post #16753787 (external link)
You seem to have missed the point of my post. If I wasn't clear, I meant how is it economically feasible to keep this much gear on hand... wouldn't it make more $$ sense to rent gear as needed vs holding onto gear just in case...

As Thomas pointed out, you're in NY. ;) It's one thing to rent gear when you're doing portraits and fashion shoots in NY or Chicago or LA, It's another when you're being asked by someone like Nike to fly to New Zealand for a sportswear catalog/ad shoot in the mountains. ;):cool:, Or maybe to head to Iceland for an adventure wear shoot. You'd better have what you need before you get there.

BTW, you should ckeck out a video or two from Joe McNally. His garage looks a lot like Chase's gear room.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2014 16:23 |  #49

My friend switched over to Canon from Sony about a year and a half ago and has just went over the $30k mark in gear. He's a hobbyist too.

Just start building up your stuff. Might take you 5 maybe 10 years but you'll have alot by then. I'm in my 3rd year in SLR and look at my sig.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 12, 2014 16:23 |  #50

Kronie wrote in post #16753855 (external link)
Really? With a 10.5K fee for usage rights? I wish that was standard for me!

...are you a commercial photographer?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

AR15th
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 12, 2014 16:27 |  #51

Talley wrote in post #16753870 (external link)
My friend switched over to Canon from Sony about a year and a half ago and has just went over the $30k mark in gear. He's a hobbyist too.

Just start building up your stuff. Might take you 5 maybe 10 years but you'll have alot by then. I'm in my 3rd year in SLR and look at my sig.

I've been shooting for 3 years as well.. someone else mentioned they've been shooting for 2 years I think....

Maybe I'm just in the wrong city LoL...
It seems to me people lease vs buy everything here in NYC, let me guess, you guys all own your homes too? LoL... Most photogs I know that are in that 2-3 year mark here in NYC have maybe 2 bodies, and maybe 2 lenses... (generalizing obvi)

Canon 6D | Canon T3i

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2014 16:42 |  #52

AR15th wrote in post #16753875 (external link)
I've been shooting for 3 years as well.. someone else mentioned they've been shooting for 2 years I think....

Maybe I'm just in the wrong city LoL...
It seems to me people lease vs buy everything here in NYC, let me guess, you guys all own your homes too? LoL... Most photogs I know that are in that 2-3 year mark here in NYC have maybe 2 bodies, and maybe 2 lenses... (generalizing obvi)

Yes I do own my own home. 5 bedroom 3,300sqft. I'm assuming my home in NY would be a million dollars but here in texas it's a measly 160k.

I'm just an electrician working as a supervisor for an electrical company in the oil and gas industry. Nothing big. The gulf is booming with work right now and demand is very high for the next few years.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

AR15th
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 12, 2014 16:56 |  #53

Talley wrote in post #16753904 (external link)
Yes I do own my own home. 5 bedroom 3,300sqft. I'm assuming my home in NY would be a million dollars but here in texas it's a measly 160k.

I'm just an electrician working as a supervisor for an electrical company in the oil and gas industry. Nothing big. The gulf is booming with work right now and demand is very high for the next few years.

Well, I've got a friend who bought a 2400 sq ft home 30 mins outside of the city for ~$550k, and that was 7 years ago. So yea, it's different than Texas.

Canon 6D | Canon T3i

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 12, 2014 17:29 |  #54

banquetbear wrote in post #16753871 (external link)
...are you a commercial photographer?

Not exclusively, no. I also hardly ever shoot with the caliber of client that would get me a usage fee that large. That is like the 1% and I am the 99. I work with a lot of local artists and businesses where that calculation would be almost laughable. I have done some big jobs for ski areas, a museum and a college here where I was able to get a good usage payout but generally its just day rate income.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 12, 2014 18:20 |  #55

Kronie wrote in post #16753980 (external link)
Not exclusively, no. I also hardly ever shoot with the caliber of client that would get me a usage fee that large. That is like the 1% and I am the 99. I work with a lot of local artists and businesses where that calculation would be almost laughable. I have done some big jobs for ski areas, a museum and a college here where I was able to get a good usage payout but generally its just day rate income.

...here are some more samples:

http://www.aphotoedito​r.com/category/pricing​-negotiating/ (external link)

I really meant to say "commercial photographer operating at Chase Jarvis level." :D I'm like you: working mainly with small businesses that don't even understand licence fees, let alone would agree to pay them. Having said that this year I've started to sell to a slightly different market, just done my first billboard, and the licence fees are getting bigger. :)

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

AR15th
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 12, 2014 19:16 |  #56

banquetbear wrote in post #16754071 (external link)
...here are some more samples:

http://www.aphotoedito​r.com/category/pricing​-negotiating/ (external link)

I really meant to say "commercial photographer operating at Chase Jarvis level." :D I'm like you: working mainly with small businesses that don't even understand licence fees, let alone would agree to pay them. Having said that this year I've started to sell to a slightly different market, just done my first billboard, and the licence fees are getting bigger. :)

Wow this is great! Never been to that site before.

Canon 6D | Canon T3i

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 13, 2014 17:01 |  #57

For those who don't know, Jarvis is EXTREMELY successful. His "side project" has 28M in venture capital funding and has been profitable since very early on - http://www.geekwire.co​m …-live-broadcasts-courses/ (external link)

His YouTube channel has 78k subscribers and 16M views, which is enough for companies to hire him and make a video about the shoot as that extra exposure is worth as much if not more as the actual shoot itself.

He can buy any piece of equipment he wants. The fact that he's "only" using 14-24 f2.8 / 24-70 F2.8 / 24-105 F4 IS and 70-200 F4L IS lenses shows that he's very practical about the gear he uses.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

juscuz
826 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 13, 2014 19:11 |  #58

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16753791 (external link)
You are also in NYC where there are multiple rental houses.

I'm in the 4th largest city in the nation and we have 1 rental place. Another just closed (owner retired) and that one didn't have Elinchrom or Profoto.

Whoa....I never dreamed there was a local rental house....but yup there it is. Awesome!!

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 14, 2014 08:17 |  #59

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16753791 (external link)
You are also in NYC where there are multiple rental houses.

I'm in the 4th largest city in the nation and we have 1 rental place. Another just closed (owner retired) and that one didn't have Elinchrom or Profoto.

I've rented a few time from photorentalsource but had a bad experience w/ a 35L that was bad.

I could of sworn there was a few others in the area.

My Gear Archive

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 14, 2014 09:54 |  #60

Talley wrote in post #16757762 (external link)
I've rented a few time from photorentalsource but had a bad experience w/ a 35L that was bad.

I could of sworn there was a few others in the area.

Light Tec shut down two weeks ago.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

6,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Howwww do you do this$$$?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.