Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 15, 2014 22:27 |  #46

Methodical wrote in post #16761023 (external link)
Similar or the same.

For those that own homes and is required to pay Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) - who pays it and who benefits from it? Btw, I know the answer. I am just pointing out that sometimes that's just the way it is. Or, Just Life.

I'm not so sure if they are the same. Bank require insurance so that when you can't pay the money you loan, the bank is cover. Here you are not loaning money or item from the seller.

What's next? Can I ask for gas money from the buyer because I have to drive to the post office? Gas is expensive now a day.

sponsored links
bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,661 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 16, 2014 01:54 |  #47

drive_75 wrote in post #16761571 (external link)
What's next? Can I ask for gas money from the buyer because I have to drive to the post office? Gas is expensive now a day.

That is part of the "handling" part of "Shipping & Handling." You can charge whatever you like for handling, including the cost of the packaging supplies, your time to pack and ship, gas expenses, pro-rated vehicle wear and tear, a cup of Starbucks for the ride, or even a fiver for some local teenager to transport the package to the post office on his bike. The "As Seen on TV" ads are famous for this ruse. Caveat Emptor.

Unless otherwise agreed by buyer and seller, the seller is responsible for delivery of the item advertised and in the advertised condition to the buyer, regardless of whether buyer pays additional costs for shipping, handling and/or insurance.

But a seller can specify other terms and conditions, including that the merchandise is sold FOB shipping point. Although usually used for freight, the law applies to small items as well. FOB shipping point means that responsibility for the merchandise is transferred to buyer as soon as the merchandise is accepted by the shipper and, therefore, the seller is no longer liable if the shipper loses or damages the merchandise.

But in most cases the seller either doesn't understand how shipping liability and insurance work, or is hoping to make a few extra bucks off unsuspecting buyers.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 16, 2014 02:02 |  #48

bumpintheroad wrote in post #16761790 (external link)
That is part of the "handling" part of "Shipping & Handling." You can charge whatever you like for handling, including the cost of the packaging supplies, your time to pack and ship, gas expenses, pro-rated vehicle wear and tear, a cup of Starbucks for the ride, or even a fiver for some local teenager to transport the package to the post office on his bike. The "As Seen on TV" ads are famous for this ruse. Caveat Emptor.

Unless otherwise agreed by buyer and seller, the seller is responsible for delivery of the item advertised and in the advertised condition to the buyer, regardless of whether buyer pays additional costs for shipping, handling and/or insurance.

But a seller can specify other terms and conditions, including that the merchandise is sold FOB shipping point. Although usually used for freight, the law applies to small items as well. FOB shipping point means that responsibility for the merchandise is transferred to buyer as soon as the merchandise is accepted by the shipper and, therefore, the seller is no longer liable if the shipper loses or damages the merchandise.

But in most cases the seller either doesn't understand how shipping liability and insurance work, or is hoping to make a few extra bucks off unsuspecting buyers.

I know this isn't a discussion about the difference between Shipping Terms and Title Transfer terms, but the free on board point does not always coincide with the transfer of title or risk of loss.

My Gear

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2014 10:39 |  #49

bumpintheroad wrote in post #16761790 (external link)

Great, now we're going to see FS ads with "FOB" listed. What are you going to bring up next, appropriate Incoterms when we ship from US to Canada?

In all seriousness, I think PayPal makes the conversation a bit more simple. Follow their rules to have protection. Do you think PayPal will care if a seller says "but my buyer agreed to FOB terms"?

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,431 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 16, 2014 23:19 |  #50

drive_75 wrote in post #16761571 (external link)
I'm not so sure if they are the same. Bank require insurance so that when you can't pay the money you loan, the bank is cover. Here you are not loaning money or item from the seller.

It's the same principle - you pay to protect the seller. Cost of doing business. The only difference is some ask you to pay it and some just include it in the price of the merchandise. The buyer won't even know it.

And as far as the gas scenario goes, yes, the shipping company does it all the time - charge a premium when gas cost is high. Guess who pays for that too - the buyer. It's all in the shipping cost. The buyer won't even know it.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 16, 2014 23:43 |  #51

Methodical wrote in post #16763846 (external link)
It's the same principle - you pay to protect the seller. Cost of doing business. The only difference is some ask you to pay it and some just include it in the price of the merchandise. The buyer won't even know it.

And as far as the gas scenario goes, yes, the shipping company does it all the time - charge a premium when gas cost is high. Guess who pays for that too - the buyer. It's all in the shipping cost. The buyer won't even know it.

So can you loan me all your equipment, I'll be gladly to pay for the insurance.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,431 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 18, 2014 01:22 |  #52

drive_75 wrote in post #16763878 (external link)
So can you loan me all your equipment, I'll be gladly to pay for the insurance.

You'll have to come pick it up since I can't charge you insurance - haha!

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 20, 2014 09:16 |  #53

gonzogolf wrote in post #16758696 (external link)
I rather doubt any sane seller makes it an option, but you are getting hung up on words rather than net costs.

There is an item in the SELL Marketplace this very moment.

Asking for $xxx shipped. Insurance extra. Paypal gift or local pickup

Immediate pass. Insurance does NOTHING for buyer. It protects the seller.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 20, 2014 09:27 |  #54

Bianchi wrote in post #16760690 (external link)
Something to consider to the folks that would like to have an all inclusive price that covers all purchasing and shipping charges.
Does the seller price it as its going from east coast to west coast, or perhaps it's one state next to the other. Those would be different rates. So we rate it at most expensive to cover all situations. Whereas if its rated for one specific shipping needs , the chances are it would be less. So perhaps it may be more advantageous to quote shipping and insurance separately rather than built into the price.

Simple, posting states "Buyer to pay actual shipping costs." PM zip code to seller and it takes about 6.83 seconds to calc shipping. Then total price is calculated and communicated to the buyer.

OR what I do sometimes.

"Seller will pay shipping for USPS Ground to buyers address. If buyer wishes faster service, buyer will pay the difference."

I've used both and have not encountered issues.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,986 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2014 10:32 |  #55

All I can say on this is as a seller, I would never ALLOW my buyer to insist on skimping with no shipping insurance.
Insurance is NOT optional.

For me this is easy as I am one of those that prefers to advertise the cost delivered to your door, one price including shipping, paypal fees (gift is never an option), and of course insurance.

If, as a seller, you do not insure, you either stand to lose the value of the object shipped yourself, or your credibility as a seller if you try to force the buyer to eat the loss.

IF B&H did not insure, and you were left holding the bag because UPS ruined your new camera, would ANYONE here expect the customer to eat that cost?

To assume otherwise for a transaction simply because that seller is not a company is seriously hypocritical, and self indulgent.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,986 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2014 10:38 |  #56

Asking for $xxx shipped. Insurance extra. Paypal gift or local pickup

From a buyers POV:
I will not buy from such a seller unless they agree to eat the 3% for regular paypal.
Most will I find. Likewise with the cost of insurance. they put the price out there, now it's my bargaining chip.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

lux.sit
110 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 20, 2014 11:45 |  #57

^^^ I'm with CyberDyneSystems on both accounts.

I have only sold a few items on here and when I do my price is inclusive of everything. As a buyer, I don't want to haggle over small charges

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,431 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 21, 2014 07:40 |  #58

Nukehed wrote in post #16917031 (external link)
There is an item in the SELL Marketplace this very moment.

Immediate pass. Insurance does NOTHING for buyer. It protects the seller.

In addition to the shipping issue, this joker wants the buyer to do pay via gift. So, the seller wants his cake and eat it too. NEXT!

lux.sit wrote in post #16917311 (external link)
^^^ I'm with CyberDyneSystems on both accounts.

I have only sold a few items on here and when I do my price is inclusive of everything. As a buyer, I don't want to haggle over small charges

As a seller, I don't want to haggle over small charges, either. So, my price is all inclusive, too.

My Treasure Chest
Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2014 13:39 |  #59

If a seller is asking for gift, I always just say I don't do gift and they accept payment in the same amount anyway. Nobody is dumb enough to turn down a real offer over 3%, as much as it sounds good on paper when making the listing.

Insurance, I never ask. I assume the shipper wants to protect themselves. If I don't get the item, they are giving me a refund either way.

Another thing to note is that insurance only protects packages against loss. If your item is damaged in shipping, UPS, USPS, etc, assume that you didn't package it properly and 9/10 refuse the claim.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

May 23, 2014 09:27 |  #60

Asking for $xxx shipped. Insurance extra. Paypal gift or local pickup.

It is interesting how many sellers will have this in their listing. I've seen ebay listing where the sellers will add "if you don't pay for insurance I am not responsible if the item doesn't get to you." I guess those sellers haven't actually lost an uninsured item in transit yet.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

sponsored links

6,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.