Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2014 (Friday) 08:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't we all just get along?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2014 01:48 |  #46

guntoter wrote in post #16758574 (external link)
Ever see a bunch of guys get together and have hours of arguments over which sports team (you name the sport) is best. They will discuss all the different players and the coaches and strategies and talents of the teams.
I think they do it because they get a big charge out of the banter. From time to time I am one of them. I guess they just like the "back and forth". I have read pages of these "gun-fights" without posting, and sometimes I have to jump into the middle of it.
It is a messageboard. All kinds of discussions go on here, and some of them are bound to be "differences of opinion".

If I am interested I read it, if not, I just move on to the next thread.

Yeah, this. I do the same thing from time to time, just not over photography gear. I once got into an "argument" with someone over time travel rules in The Terminator, and how everything since the first movie takes place in a different universe with different laws of physics since the first movie clearly established that the past cannot be changed (bonus point: I used photography to win the argument and prove my point).

Is that a stupid way to spend my time, arguing with people on the internet about dumb crap like the Terminator movies? Yes. But I've done it before and I'm damn sure gonna do it again, because that kind of dumbassery can actually be kind of fun.

But I think the key thing here is for the people involved to REALIZE that they're being dumb. Everyone reserves the right to be a little bit stupid sometimes, but the important thing is to just recognize that you are in fact being stupid so that you can keep that silliness contained and in check. Like, some people enjoy dumbass comic books and video games, and even argue about them for fun. Okay, whatever. But unfortunately there are also some people who take that crap super seriously and truly think it's actually important. And that's sad. But, either way, I tend to just stand back and let it happen. I'll respond if it interests me enough, otherwise I just ignore it. But I'm not gonna say not to do it. Hell, I'm kind of doing the same thing now with this post. So who am I to throw stones?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,049 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2014 20:53 |  #47

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16757980 (external link)
If you notice, equipment debates are usually started then continued by those who cannot take good pictures - gearheads. Ignore them.

I find truth in this statement. Often, when someone insists on continuing one of these debates, I will click on the link in his/her signature line. You know, the link that goes to the member's website, or flickr page, or what have you. Then on that page I will see a bunch of very amateurish-looking images, and think, "What does he/she care about noise grain, or sharpness, or depth of field? With images like this, none of that would even matter."

Of course, there are sometimes exceptions to this, but most of the time, the more someone argues for/against a certain camera body, the worse their portfolio seems to be. These people need to start thinking more about light, composition, and creativity, and less about senors and optics.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 17, 2014 00:21 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #48

Just goes to prove: there are photographers and there are camera owners.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,000 views & 6 likes for this thread
Can't we all just get along?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.