Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Mar 2014 (Monday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about ditching the Canon 24-105 f/4 for the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8

dandingo
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2014 18:00 |  #1

So I shot yet another engagement session yesterday and, although I absolutely love the 6D's high ISO capabilities and know it can handle it, I find myself want 2.8 more and more. f4 just doesn't feel wide open enough in a lot of situations. Not only that, but I was getting a lot of soft photos with my Canon 50mm 1.4 even stopped down and feel it could also take the place of this lens in quite a few situations.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm wanting to find out if anyone has experience with both and would love to hear pros and cons of the Tamron, especially focusing and IQ. I've read and watched reviews and really find very few faults with it but would still love some first-hand experience, especially from those that shoot portraits, engagements and weddings. The only thing I'll occasionally miss is the 71-105 focal range. I don't have a tele but do use my 85mm quite a bit and it works great. And no, I can't afford both at the moment.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

sponsored links
VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 17, 2014 18:10 |  #2

dandingo wrote in post #16765719 (external link)
So I shot yet another engagement session yesterday and, although I absolutely love the 6D's high ISO capabilities and know it can handle it, I find myself want 2.8 more and more. f4 just doesn't feel wide open enough in a lot of situations. Not only that, but I was getting a lot of soft photos with my Canon 50mm 1.4 even stopped down and feel it could also take the place of this lens in quite a few situations.

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm wanting to find out if anyone has experience with both and would love to hear pros and cons of the Tamron, especially focusing and IQ. I've read and watched reviews and really find very few faults with it but would still love some first-hand experience, especially from those that shoot portraits, engagements and weddings. The only thing I'll occasionally miss is the 71-105 focal range. I don't have a tele but do use my 85mm quite a bit and it works great. And no, I can't afford both at the moment.

I can't help you make a decision on the Tamron, but I can propose a different alternative... What about getting a good prime like the Canon 35L or Sigma Art? These are the ideal lenses for environmental portraits (which it sounds like you may be doing).

My problem with f/2.8 is that the DOF is not shallow enough when I want that effect and not deep enough when I don't (particularly at the wide end). f/2.8 will probably do what you want at 70mm, but not at 35. If you really want good subject isolation, you need f/2-f/1.4 which is why I suggest a fast prime in addition to your 24-105. It works amazingly well for my kind of shooting - maybe it will do the same for you?

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

dandingo
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2014 18:32 |  #3

VirtualRain wrote in post #16765738 (external link)
I can't help you make a decision on the Tamron, but I can propose a different alternative... What about getting a good prime like the Canon 35L or Sigma Art? These are the ideal lenses for environmental portraits (which it sounds like you may be doing).

My problem with f/2.8 is that the DOF is not shallow enough when I want that effect and not deep enough when I don't (particularly at the wide end). f/2.8 will probably do what you want at 70mm, but not at 35. If you really want good subject isolation, you need f/2-f/1.4 which is why I suggest a fast prime in addition to your 24-105. It works amazingly well for my kind of shooting - maybe it will do the same for you?

Like I'd said, I have both an 85mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.4. I'm looking to replace my standard zoom with another, as I love the versatility of the 24-105, just not the aperture.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 17, 2014 18:36 |  #4

Dandingo,

I've shot with both and I think honestly that the Tamron was a little sharper personally. Other than missing the red ring (if you are that kind of guy) its pretty much equal in every measure other than sharpness. Oh and the fact you can buy two Tamrons for pretty much the price of one Canon.

My 24-70 Canon was stolen a while back and I replaced it with a Tamron. Don't miss it at all.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

dandingo
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2014 19:41 |  #5

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #16765804 (external link)
Dandingo,

I've shot with both and I think honestly that the Tamron was a little sharper personally. Other than missing the red ring (if you are that kind of guy) its pretty much equal in every measure other than sharpness. Oh and the fact you can buy two Tamrons for pretty much the price of one Canon.

My 24-70 Canon was stolen a while back and I replaced it with a Tamron. Don't miss it at all.

Thanks for your input. Pretty much what I'm looking for.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2014 20:23 |  #6

I own the Tamron. I had the 24-105. I perfer the 2.8 myself but nothing wrong with the 24-105.

My Tamron is tack sharp

70mm 2.8:

IMAGE: http://nitrousdepot.net/POTN/fixed24-70.jpg

100% CROP
IMAGE: http://nitrousdepot.net/POTN/fixed24-70.100%25.jpg

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

dandingo
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2014 21:04 |  #7

↑ That is sharp. How's the auto focus on the Tamron?

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2014 21:06 |  #8

100% accurate.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Iggy12
286 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 17, 2014 21:10 |  #9

I just sold my 24-105 for same reason... just waiting for a decent deal on the Tamron

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 17, 2014 23:12 |  #10

Iggy12 wrote in post #16766198 (external link)
I just sold my 24-105 for same reason... just waiting for a decent deal on the Tamron

It would be awesome for you if the amazon.ca deal from December returned - $799 Cdn was a heck of a deal.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 18, 2014 05:55 |  #11

If you really want to change I'd go for the Tammy but have you considered this one:

http://www.amazon.co.u​k …8-8&keywords=tamron+24-70 (external link)

Only goes down to 28mm but much cheaper.

I've owned a 24-105L and, although it's a very good walkabout lens, hardly ideal for your purpose.

David

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 18, 2014 06:14 |  #12

Hi DANDINGO - having a FF body eos6D makes it easier to choose, WHY?

1) Focal Length: should you shift to 24-70 then it would pair with 70-200 w/o focal length overlap
2) I have the Canon 24-105f4.0 and the 24-70f2.8 v1 (but shoots crop, eos7d) hence the overlap.
3) f2.8 is just so much better than f4.0 (the only benefit of the 24-104 is the focal reach/zoom)
4) I haven't used the Tamron version but if you could try it on your camera and shoot a couple, examine the images on a big monitor on your computer - then you might have a verdict
5) If you own (or planning to have) a 70-200 then I would strongly suggest you get a 24-70f2.8 lens in lieu of the 24-105f4.0 (if you can't keep both)

EDIT: the only thing I hate with the 24-70 f2.8L v1 is the darn weight, if you shoot for hours with it then you're gonna feel it in the wrist (but that's just me anyways, and I don't have a grip - no need to add more weight)

SqueekyBoy
186 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 18, 2014 07:13 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

VirtualRain wrote in post #16765738 (external link)

This is how I came to own an EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. My go-to lens on the 6D is the Tamron 28-75. I wanted to upgrade for faster focus and IS. The 35 got me a stop of light, IS and snap-focus. And it was $800 less than the 24-70 VC. The 35mm focal length is just what I needed.

Will ­ Chao
98 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 18, 2014 09:37 |  #14

no brainer, Tamron is better in every category

24-105 is more like an F5 lens

Wedding Photography Melbourne (external link)
Gear: 5D3 and some L lenses ~ Favourite lens: 85mm F1.2 ~ Favourite bag: Thinktank Airport Security 2.0
Melbourne Wedding Photographer (external link) / High school dropout

mmel
230 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 19, 2014 00:28 as a reply to  @ Will Chao's post |  #15

I shot weddings with the 24-105 for 3 years. I also shot other assignments with it as well. I used it wide open a lot and never felt it was lacking.

This is until I bought the Tamron 24-70. I had both lenses for a while and got to see the side by side images. In my opinion Tamron is sharper. The only thing is that the Tamron does not have the extra reach of the 24-105.

I shot a catalog assignment and had to shoot indoors with cluttered backgrounds. The f2.8 of the Tamron came in very handy. BTW, I shot my most recent images with the 6D. What an incredible combo.

A better comparison would be the Canon 24-70 version II vs. the Tamron. I did test both last year at WPPI and felt the Tamron was sharper and with the VC function, the 6 year warranty and the much lower price it was the hands down winner. That is why I bought the Tamron.

I really do not want to upset the die hard Canon guys. This is just my opinion.

As to the resell value, the nod goes to the Canon. Then again, if I can shoot a lens for 6 years knowing the company who made it backs it all the way. In those 6 years I will make enough money so that I would care less what the resell values is.

sponsored links

9,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about ditching the Canon 24-105 f/4 for the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.