Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any of you use only primes for weddings?

androostain
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 18, 2014 14:21 |  #1

One of my favourite things to do is internet stalk photographers I admire and find out what kit they use, I was doing this to Ed Peers (external link) an amazing British wedding photographer and I found this (external link) article (great website BTW) about his kit. Turns out he only uses primes. He says:

"Making the switch to prime lenses was one of the best things I ever did in terms of developing my photography. You learn to see in various focal lengths and it forces you to think more about your composition and your position relative to the subject."

which to me was a very interesting statement and made me wonder if there are any others out there that work this way? and if so how do you make sure you capture everything required?

West Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link) | Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link)| Wedding Videographer West Midlands (external link) | Wedding Videographer Midlands (external link)| London Destination Wedding Videographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Design (external link)
Canon 5d MkIII | Canon 7d | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 18, 2014 16:00 |  #2

Yes. No. Depends. Every wedding is different. There is no "one size fits all" answer.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2014 16:15 |  #3

androostain wrote in post #16767990 (external link)
One of my favourite things to do is internet stalk photographers I admire and find out what kit they use, I was doing this to Ed Peers (external link) an amazing British wedding photographer and I found this (external link) article (great website BTW) about his kit. Turns out he only uses primes. He says:

"Making the switch to prime lenses was one of the best things I ever did in terms of developing my photography. You learn to see in various focal lengths and it forces you to think more about your composition and your position relative to the subject."

which to me was a very interesting statement and made me wonder if there are any others out there that work this way? and if so how do you make sure you capture everything required?

Not me personally, as I don't shoot weddings, but our wedding photographer also shot primes exclusively. She had a bag full of 5Ds with various prime lenses. If i recall correctly she worked everything from 15mm to 100mm,. Her second shooter had two bodies with two zooms (24-70/70-200). Her images were what convinced my wife that we had to have a 15mm and 85mm. :lol:

As far as it changing the way you shoot. Try it yourself. Trow a 35mm on a camera and walk around for a day, then switch to a 85mm, or whatever. I've found that it does change the way I see things, to an extent. I've also found that it's easy to miss shots if you've only got one body and you're shooting with a prime. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 18, 2014 20:18 |  #4

I use both. Depends on the situation.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 18, 2014 20:34 |  #5

Honestly, with enough skill and experience, you should "see" all kinds shots, rather than have your vision pigeonholed into a couple focal lengths. Why train your brain to "see" only in 35mm and 85mm for example? There are a buttload of utterly fantastic imagery you can get at 16mm to 200mm that would provide fantastic variety in your portfolio. I never, EVER understood the "I shoot only primes" thing. I shot manual focus Canon FD/FL primes only for 15 years (purely out of budget) and I cannot see how doing that could benefit me in any way than using competent zooms IN ADDITION to the primes, other than having less gear. I really don't. I gotta be honest, I much prefer primes, and use then through a wedding day as much as possible, but I don't understand why people shun or boycott zooms outright.

I think a lot of people do it because it sounds romantic and elite or something.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 18, 2014 22:28 |  #6

picturecrazy wrote in post #16768901 (external link)
I never, EVER understood the "I shoot only primes" thing.

This.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 18, 2014 23:22 |  #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturecrazy View Post

jcolman wrote in post #16769126 (external link)
This.

Is there historical evidence that zoom image quality was once inferior? I'm too young to know what the lenses were like many years ago. I know the difference today is marginal.

Last season I used mainly 35 and 85 mixed with a few other primes and a little 24-70 and 70-200.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2014 23:39 |  #8

I only shoot primes that are faster than my zooms, and ONLY if I need the aperture advantage. I have good zooms so IQ isn't significantly better for practical purposes.

Primes aren't inherently better. If you can "see" that you need 35mm it doesn't matter if you picked up the camera that has it or flicked your wrist to it. If you're indecisive, you're screwed either way.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2014 23:39 |  #9

juicedownload wrote in post #16769217 (external link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturecrazy View Post

Is there historical evidence that zoom image quality was once inferior? I'm too young to know what the lenses were like many years ago. I know the difference today is marginal.

Last season I used mainly 35 and 85 mixed with a few other primes and a little 24-70 and 70-200.

Zooms used to suck monkey family jewels.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2014 23:41 |  #10

I think a lot of people do it because it sounds romantic and elite or something.

I think they think it's hipster.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,235 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 19, 2014 00:10 |  #11

I shoot manual focus ring aperture control primes; old school, before AF took over. Love it. Zooms are massive. Many Nikkor AI-S primes take 52mm filters. Tiny, light, and sharp on a d800e for pennies on the dollar.

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 19, 2014 00:20 |  #12

jetcode wrote in post #16769292 (external link)
I shoot manual focus ring aperture control primes; old school, before AF took over. Love it. Zooms are massive. Many Nikkor AI-S primes take 52mm filters. Tiny, light, and sharp on a d800e for pennies on the dollar.

Manual focus for weddings? wow props to you man, I could never do that.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2014 01:21 |  #13

Variety is the spice of life. Why get pigeon holed to set focal lengths? More available focal lengths with zoom means an increased ability to be creative. In the same way that the wider apertures on some primes offer an increased ability to be creative. Put the two together and the only limitation is your imagination and skill.

"You learn to see in various focal lengths and it forces you to think more about your composition and your position relative to the subject"

^^^ Should read

"You learn to see in various set lengths and it forces you to ONLY see in those focal lengths. It forces you to ONLY think more about your composition and your position relative to the subject in relation to those focal lengths. As a by-product it will also make you blissfully unaware of the opportunities you are missing out on as a result of pigeon holing your creativity."

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,667 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2014 06:50 |  #14

I think a lot of people do it because it sounds like your an elitist or something.

Fixed it for ya Lloyd :lol:

I use all of my gear through out the day. With 3 cameras, I always have a zoom and a couple of prime on the body. Zooms are just to versatile to not use them.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,628 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 19, 2014 07:20 |  #15

androostain wrote in post #16767990 (external link)
He says:

This phrase is why I think its important to start out with primes when you first get into photography, as it forces you to work to frame your shots....and by doing that, it teaches you that for portrait photography, choosing your focal length isn't a matter of convenience...its a matter of understanding the relationship between subject distance and perspective, and controlling field of view/perspective to manipulate the relationship between the subject and background.

Once you understand that concept, you realize that the appeal of zooms isn't the fact that its easy to frame your subject, but that it offers flexibility in terms of FOV. Although zooms are very appealing for highly dynamic shooting environments like a wedding, "zooming with your feet" is still important concept even with a zoom lens!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

sponsored links

16,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any of you use only primes for weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.