Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any of you use only primes for weddings?

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 20, 2014 14:32 |  #46

dcnats wrote in post #16773203 (external link)
One of my favorite wedding photographers is a woman named Citlalli Rico (external link), you can check out her work there.

She discusses her gear here (external link), she uses a 35mm and a 105mm, she likes it. It does well for her. I don think she's lying, I don't think she a moron.

Can you read at all? She explained why she prefers the 35 and the 105.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 20, 2014 14:42 |  #47

I gotta find the unsubscribe button.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 20, 2014 14:47 |  #48

hairy_moth wrote in post #16773242 (external link)
Can you read at all? She explained why she prefers the 35 and the 105.

So you are saying that if I can't come up with a good reason to use primes A) I am a moron, B) I am an idiot, C) I should be using zooms which are limitless in capability, or D) I should give up photography all together and take up residence in an asylum.

As far as I can tell no one owes you an explanation. At all. I'll never use a zoom like I'll never use auto-focus. No explanation necessary. It's called "personal preference", a rogue catch-all phrase popular in this day and age.

But if you do need to know here's my take. I don't shoot primes for DOF or speed. I shoot primes (MF and aperture ring control) because I don't have to rely on AF points, watch lenses hunt, and deal with plastic bodies to reduce weight while attempting to increase AF speed. I like the feel of having control of focus in my hand and being able to set the aperture manually. I don't need minimal DOF as most of my work involves the subject being in focus and 2.0 (my fastest lens) still produces a gorgeous bokeh wide open. Even 2.8 is excellent. I most often use f/5.6 or f/8 and sometimes f/11 if I need more DOF. With my Panoramic 6x17 camera I use f/32 quite often (3' to infinity). Because my lenses are manual on all cameras I do not have to be an expert on the cameras AF systems. At all. The 35mm lens builds prior to AF are really nice. A great system indeed and free from automation-itus. I had a friend ask me to help her navigate her camera and I was at a complete loss with the number of features, gizmos, knobs, modes, and crap that simply obliterated a process which requires nothing more than a dark box, media, a small hole, and the ability to accurately control the amount of light. Simple rules in my universe. The less I have to do with my camera the more I can focus on the art of photography.

The only time a zoom comes in handy is when I cannot move and I want full frame compositions. Many pros love zooms. I have seen more than one portfolio from a master however that was shot with a single prime lens; and sometimes the only lens they ever used during their entire career. Smart people play it lean and mean. Use what is necessary and leave the rest behind.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 20, 2014 15:23 |  #49

jetcode wrote in post #16773284 (external link)
So you are saying that if I can't come up with a good reason to use primes A) I am a moron, B) I am an idiot, C) I should be using zooms which are limitless in capability, or D) I should give up photography all together and take up residence in an asylum.

As far as I can tell no one owes you an explanation. At all. I'll never use a zoom like I'll never use auto-focus. No explanation necessary. It's called "personal preference", a rogue catch-all phrase popular in this day and age.

But if you do need to know here's my take. I don't shoot primes for DOF or speed. I shoot primes (MF and aperture ring control) because I don't have to rely on AF points, watching lenses hunt, and plastic to reduce weight while attempting to increase AF speed. I like the feel of having control of focus in my hand and being able to set the aperture manually. I don't need minimal DOF as most of my work involves the subject being in focus and 2.0 (my fastest lens) still produces a gorgeous bokeh wide open. Even 2.8 is excellent. I most often use f/5.6 or f/8 and sometimes f/11 if I need more DOF. With my Panoramic 6x17 camera I use f/32 quite often (3' to infinity). Because my lenses are manual on all cameras I do not have to be an expert on the cameras AF systems. At all. The 35mm lens builds prior to AF are really nice. A great system indeed and free from automation-itus. I had a friend ask me to help her navigate her camera and I was at a complete loss with the number of features, gizmos, modes, and crap that simply obliterated a process which requires nothing more than a dark box, media, a small hole, and the ability to accurately control the amount of light. Simple rules in my universe. The less I have to do with my camera the more I can focus on the art of photography.

The only time a zoom comes in handy is when I cannot move and I want full frame compositions. Many pros love zooms. I have seen more than one portfolio from a master however that was shot with a single prime lens; and sometimes the only lens they ever used during their entire career. Smart people play it lean and mean. Use what is necessary and leave the rest behind.

So where's your gripe with anything I said? You shoot primes, you say it is personal preference, but you go on to explain why you hold that preference. That was my whole point in saying that personal preference itself is not a great reason: because there is always something more to it.

So I stand by me comment, if a person (who happens to be reading a forum targeted at professional wedding photographers) has a personal preference to shoot "only" primes, and cannot explain it (to him or her self, not to me), then yeah, the person is either a moron or a liar. You certainly don't fall into that set of preconditions.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 20, 2014 15:28 |  #50

hairy_moth wrote in post #16773358 (external link)
So where's your gripe with anything I said? You shoot primes, you say it is personal preference, but you go on to explain why you hold that preference. That was my whole point in saying that personal preference itself is not a great reason: because there is always something more to it.

So I stand by me comment, if a person (who happens to be reading a forum targeted at professional wedding photographers) has a personal preference to shoot "only" primes, and cannot explain it (to him or her self, not to me), then yeah, the person is either a moron or a liar. You certainly don't fall into that set of preconditions.

Sometimes things are beyond words or explanation. A simple knowing is suffice. No explanation or pageantry necessary. A native intuition from pure experience. If they don't know they most certainly may be ill informed or inexperienced but I reserve the word 'moron' for people who tend to use the word 'moron'. Sort of a magic mirror thing.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 20, 2014 15:32 |  #51

jetcode wrote in post #16773367 (external link)
Sometimes things are beyond words or explanation. A simple knowing is suffice. No explanation or pageantry necessary. A native intuition from pure experience. If they don't know they most certainly may be ill informed or inexperienced but I reserve the word 'moron' for people who tend to use the word 'moron'. Sort of a magic mirror thing.

Well, with respect to "choosing which lens to use," we can agree to disagree on all of this. As for the definition of "moron," I'll stick with Webster's.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,569 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2014 15:50 |  #52

I haven't shot weddings in over 15 years. When I did it was all medium format (Hasselblad 500 C/Ms) and everything was multiply lit. Even candids there were studio lights bounced into the ceilings and usually at least 2 assistants with lights on poles. Usually the strobes lighting the room and the fill light over camera was a stop lower than the main light on the poles. I got used to shooting without zooms.

I now shoot commercial/advertising and I only own primes. I have lenses that match the way I see and work but thats me. I don't find zooms more versatile but thats me and it's the way I see and work. I've tried zooms and think the quality is really outstanding today but I still prefer the tools I use.

Not to say that zooms aren't better for others. Find equipment that works for you and don't worry about what works for others. There is no one right way to do any of this.

I am now in the process of switching completely over to Leica M even for my commercial work. I prefer that shooting experience and it's a better match for me and the way I work now.

Find tools that work for you and allow you to do your job and get the results that you require.

My advice to anyone starting out, try a lot of different things before you settle. But when you settle stick to it and really learn it.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 20, 2014 16:05 |  #53

hairy_moth wrote in post #16773380 (external link)
Well, with respect to "choosing which lens to use," we can agree to disagree on all of this. As for the definition of "moron," I'll stick with Webster's.

A wise response. The problem with the word "moron" is no one likes to be called one. It's universally insulting. Hard to impart wisdom if you are simultaneously singling the subject out by insult.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 20, 2014 16:07 |  #54

jetcode wrote in post #16773438 (external link)
A wise response. The problem with the word "moron" is no one likes to be called one. It's universally insulting. Hard to impart wisdom if you are simultaneously singling the subject out by insult.

Yeah, but the real point in using that word in that context is that it really doesn't apply to anyone. I submit that anyone that has made the choice to shoot only primes, knows why they made that choice beyond simply claiming "personal preference."

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2014 16:24 |  #55

LOL that should stir up some lively debate :D

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 20, 2014 18:13 |  #56

very nice discussion here. nice reading.
Agreed with what has been discussed.

I have primes that i use for wedding - 24LII, 35L, 85LII, 100L. Zoom I use for wedding is 70-200LII.
I also have 24-70LI and 24-105L but they are just my backup for wedding.

My primes thou not same focal length, 24 is (more or less) my backup for 35 and 85 is my backup for 70-200. learnt the advantage of 24 and use it when needed. switch to 35 for (no distortion) close up edges photo.

For me, space (in a room or in a hall) was my concern for which lens to pick up. i prefer primes as they are lighter and allow more lights in esp in reception.

i have not tried the 135L and keen to get the 50L for newborn. dream lens will be the 200L2. I guess i will be pretty complete when i have these others. however, i know that i already have what i needed for a wedding with backup all covered.

I am in my mid 30s, i am fit to carry heavy stuffs. I just want to protect myself to carry less (weights) when im on "mission".

cheers,
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 20, 2014 19:33 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #57

Would you walk in to shoot a wedding with only 1 prime?

I wouldn't shoot a wedding with one zoom.

I don't believe you can claim both cost and quality, maybe 1 or the other, maybe.

100% disagree. You don't have to get an L to get a fantastically sharp, high-quality prime. The same is not really true of the zooms with very few exceptions.

For the 24-70 & 70-200, you are shelling out $4500.
You could get a Sigma 35 1.4($900), Canon 85 1.8 ($400) and Canon 135 2.0L ($1100) for significantly less, with substantially similar image quality but for about half the price. I would do those three primes over those two zooms for wedding work in a heart beat.

if you are comparing lenses 1 for 1, then yes. But if 1 person is carrying 2 zooms, the other 3 of 4 primes, I'm not sure about this.

When you consider the cumulative weight of the full set of primes that you will need to cover a wedding (3 or 4), or the set of zooms (2), I don't think the primes are lighter.

Well, the Canon 24-70 2.8L II+70-200mm 2.8L IS II = 2295g.
The Sigma 35+Canon 85 1.8+Canon 135L = 1840g.

So half the cost and 20% lighter for substantially the same image quality.

RE: Preference

I am not so sure this is a good reason

If you don't think a person's personal preference is a good reason to choose a lens, they I really don't have much to talk to you about. That is asinine.

because I believe the 'preference' is often rooted in one of the other reasons, or a not so good reasons, e.g., "primes are what the cool kids use." And though nobody will admit that that is their reason for using primes, let's face it: "it is cool to "use only primes" and that has got to be part of the appeal for some preferences to use only primes.

All you have it put downs. Unsurprising because you have done pretty much nothing but use illogical arguments and emotion to argue your point.

I like primes because I like the look that I get with them (that you physically cannot get with zooms) and because I like to be an active shooter and primes encourage me to be active among many, many other reasons. I truly don't give a **** what people thinks is cool or what tool someone else uses to create an image. What matters is creating the image.

I don't see why primes are the 'cool' thing. And a lot of really bad photographers use them as a crutch.

I also really like and admire Thomas Campbell's work. He's told us that he prefers primes. I don't think he's a moron or a liar.

Thank you.

Show me a person that says "my personal preference is to shoot only primes." but cannot explain why, beyond "that is my preference" and I'll show you either a moron or a liar.

Maybe they just don't want to waste their time talking to you.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

airfrogusmc
36,569 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2014 19:49 |  #58

"it is cool to "use only primes" and that has got to be part of the appeal for some preferences to use only primes."

My reason is rooted in real life. There are few that post here that have shot more formats and more equipment both persoanlly and professionally than I have. Here are just a few of the cameras I have shot with over the years. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, Deardorff, Horesman, Leica M, just to name a few.

My choices are a by product of experience. I don't need all the focal lengths only the ones that match my vision. I know what that is because of the experience I have gained over the years. I shoot primes because they are better for me and the way I work and see not because they are cool. To me they are tools and those are the best tools for me and what I am trying to create.

So is that reason enough?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2014 20:00 |  #59

Crop v Full Frame
Zoom v Prime
Canon v A.N.Other Brand
Flash v Ambient
Photoshop v Lightroom

And here I was thinking it was about the end result... the pictures... All the above are just tools to get from A (seeing a picture) to B (capturing/creating that picture).

Peter

airfrogusmc
36,569 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2014 20:07 |  #60

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16773891 (external link)
And here I was thinking it was about the end result... the pictures... All the above are just tools to get from A (seeing a picture) to B (capturing/creating that picture).

:lol::lol: That all that matters. The tools that get one there only matters if they work for each individual photographer no matter what that is. There is no one right way to do this.

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas

sponsored links

15,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any of you use only primes for weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.