Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any of you use only primes for weddings?

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2014 19:17 |  #76

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16783495 (external link)
And a prime only user might wonder what a photographer that isn't a prime only might be able to do if he was prime only.

The point is, a fully equipped shooter CAN shoot with primes only, as an exercise, whenever they want. They are just not limited that way.

Maybe it takes shooting only primes for a while to hone your technique, or help you see things a little differently. That's fine. I agree to that. I've been there. But once you have achieved your objective and grown from it, why not continue to challenge yourself? Why keep yourself stuck in that primes-only exercise? In the same way, adding a zoom back into your lineup after years without one can help you "see" things differently again. Use it in ways you coudln't have without your primes-only experiences. And you grow. Again.

Why not?

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2014 19:49 |  #77

I don't only shoot at 2.8 and "worse" (which is an extremely biased and narrow minded way of describing it),

No more so than all the statements saying primes are limiting.

Haven't you ever asked yourself, "I wonder what would happen if..." ??

I carry a full range of gear with me. I don't wonder what would happen if because I know what would happen. Having over a decade of experience of shooting with a wide array of gear, I have a pretty good idea of what any shot would look like with any lens.

Why keep yourself stuck in that primes-only exercise?

Because it is not an exercise, it is execution.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,696 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2014 20:14 |  #78

But a seasoned photographer and their vision and what they have come to know about themselves and the way they see and work is not an exercise. They are fully equipped. It may not be the way you would do it but again the proof is always in the work. And because they see and work differently from you and because they have found a different path would they be right saying that you are limited by your choice? No way as long as you are getting your vision captured. Remember there are a lot of medium format photographers and rangefinder photographers that can really shoot amazing weddings and are and have been very successful with no zooms.

I carry the equipment with me that I need to capture my vision and years of working with all kinds of formats, lenses and other equipment has taught me what is right for me and the way I see and work. Now it might not be what any other photographer uses but all that matters is what is right for me.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2014 21:47 |  #79

Well, I guess you guys are just too overwhelmingly good that you can stop learning, stop trying old tired things in new ways.

Been shooting for 24 years and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of the photography world, and that there is a gold mine of stuff just waiting to be discovered if I dig hard enough for it.

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

airfrogusmc
36,696 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2014 22:13 |  #80

Stop learning? I never stop learning. I just know the equipment I need to capture my vision. I have shot with 135 format, medium format, view cameras, zoom lenses, primes, digital crops and FF, rangefinders, DSLRs in both my professional work and my personal work so I know what works for me. But for you to try and imply someone that knows who they are as a photographer and knows through experience hard work and learning what they need to capture their vision has stopped learning because they don't work the way you do is not right.

There is not just one way to do any of this. Only whats right for each individual. And again the proof is always in the work. I would never say what you were doing for you was wrong or because you don't work the way I do you are so overwhelmingly good that you can stop learning. What works for you is just that and may or may not work for anyone else.

There are some pretty amazing wedding photographer that post in some of the rangefinder forums. Does that mean they have stopped learning?

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2014 23:45 |  #81

Well, I guess you guys are just too overwhelmingly good that you can stop learning, stop trying old tired things in new ways.

Just because one shoots with the lenses they prefer, doesn't mean they are not trying to learn. Stop making ridiculous fallacious arguments.

Current Gear List

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 25, 2014 00:59 |  #82

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16782268 (external link)
Don't think of it as limiting. Every lens has things it does well and things it does poorly. Focus on the things it does well.

http://www.chrismanstu​dios.com/ (external link)

How do you think that company is 'limited' by just using primes. A lot of their exif is intact.

Amazing work, thanks for the link.

As I said, I love primes. With limiting, I don't mean that primes themselves are limiting by definition (that's another discussion by itself). I meant they're limiting themselves by using primes only. Just like it'd be limiting to have a restaurant and only cook with an oven.

Obviously, I can't argue with the results, but I still don't see what harm it would do to bring a zoom along, even if it's only used for 10% of the time.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 25, 2014 01:02 |  #83

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16784162 (external link)
Just because one shoots with the lenses they prefer, doesn't mean they are not trying to learn. Stop making ridiculous fallacious arguments.

I was mainly egging you guys on to get a rise out of you, but I really should have known better than to try to have a discussion with you two. You guys enter threads with a misguided sense of superiority and instead of discussing, you just tell people how it is. I'm done. Have a nice day. Cheers.

If you are ever in Edmonton, look me up and we'll have tea. Seriously.

-Lloyd

airfrogusmc
36,696 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2014 07:00 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #84

So lets get this straight because we use different tools from what you use and you don't agree with the choice we make we are the ones with misguided superiority? I would never tell you what tools you should use to create with and yet we are the one with the superiority issues?

airfrogusmc
36,696 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2014 08:50 |  #85

There is a big world outside DSLR s and zoom lenses in photography. Is this guy limited?
http://www.phaseone.co​m …e-studies/Jim-Garner.aspx (external link)

His way is right for him. That doesn't mean your way is wrong. It just means that it might be wrong for someone else. That doesn't mean those that don't use the same tools as you use are ignorant or unwilling to learn. It might mean they have tried a lot of things in their careers and have found other tools are better suited for them.

heres a pretty decent wedding photographer shooting with Leica M digital.
http://www.stevehuffph​oto.com …l-by-joeri-van-der-kloet/ (external link)

Point is they are tools. Find the ones that best suit you and don't think because some else uses something other than what use to create that they are not trying to learn or are limiting themselves because in some cases just opposite might be true. That doesn't mean their path is right for anyone else but them. If they are creating work that is interesting and if they are professionals and they are successful and creating good work who is anyone to tell them what they are creating with is limiting or that they no longer have a desire to learn?

To the OP, primes can be a path for many and also other cameras and tools other than DSLRs might also be options for some and having these choices is all good.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 25, 2014 10:36 |  #86

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16784673 (external link)
There is a big world outside DSLR s and zoom lenses in photography. Is this guy limited?
http://www.phaseone.co​m …e-studies/Jim-Garner.aspx (external link)

Nope, he includes a zoom in his gear. ;)

75-150mm AF Zoom f/4.5
The versatility of this lens makes it a preferred choice for on location fashion photographers, securing great image quality at all focal lengths.

And he even specifically makes reference to: "The versatility of this lens..."

I had only 2 points in this thread that ended up getting blown out of proportion:
1. Not all reasons for using a primes are 'good' reasons. For example, "It keeps me from being lazy." Or "I can only get the proper perspective with a prime."
2. I said that "personal preference is not a valid reason to use "only primes" BECAUSE IT IS NOT a real reason. I have yet to hear of anyone that says: "I have made the decision to use ONLY primes, but I have absolutely no idea why except that I prefer them." If a person has made that decision, even if he calls it personal preference, he can (if he chooses to) explain why beyond simply saying "I prefer them."

And yes, if someone pops their head up and says: "I use only primes because I prefer them, but I don't have any idea why except I like them." then yes, that person is almost certainly lying or is not too bright (but the point was that nobody would say that!)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,696 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2014 11:31 |  #87

What ever works for each individual is all that matters I clearly listed that matching vision with gear is the reason I choose what I choose and that certainly goes beyond preference only.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 25, 2014 12:38 |  #88

:rolleyes:

Such an air of superiority to say "Let people shoot with the lenses they prefer. The results are all that matters."

Current Gear List

airfrogusmc
36,696 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2014 12:43 |  #89

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16785238 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Such an air of superiority to say "Let people shoot with the lenses they prefer. The results are all that matters."

:lol::lol: Yeah I know..

Daniel ­ Lanton
21 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 25, 2014 19:28 |  #90

Don't know if I would say only, but mostly? Primes are usually the way to go.

DANIEL LANTON
DARKERSHADESOFBROWN PHOTOGRAPHY
Scranton Wedding Photographers (external link)| Scranton Senior Portraits (external link) | Scranton Portrait Studio (external link)

sponsored links

16,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any of you use only primes for weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.