Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee Filters Question!

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 18, 2014 23:05 |  #1

Im about to buy the Lee universal wide angle hood and i was wondering what adapter to get.
Is there any reason against using the wide angle adapter on a normal or telephoto lens?

i would just rather have the versatility to use wide angle lenses as well as normal lenses without vignetting with a single adapter.

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,533 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2014 23:33 |  #2

If you're buying the wide-angle hood, why would you not buy wide-angle adapters to go with it?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2014 01:38 |  #3

Snydremark wrote in post #16769234 (external link)
If you're buying the wide-angle hood, why would you not buy wide-angle adapters to go with it?

I'm getting the wide angle hood because again of versatility. i would most likely shoot between the 24-70 range but want the ability to go sub 24mm without vignetting so the wide hood was the choice. I'm just not sure how the adapters differ thats why i was asking is there any reason why you wouldn't get a wide angle adapter for a normal lens. if the only difference is how the adapter sits on the lens then i will buy the wide angle adapter.

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 19, 2014 01:55 |  #4

I couldn't see the point in buying the normal ones, and then possibly needing to
buy the wide angle ones, as well, so I bough just the wide angle adapters. For
some filter sizes the wide adapters cost more, but for others they are pretty much
the same price. Case in point, the 82mm to fit the 24-70 F/2.8 L II, B&H shows
them both at the same price.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2014 07:23 |  #5

Evan Idler wrote in post #16769417 (external link)
I couldn't see the point in buying the normal ones, and then possibly needing to
buy the wide angle ones, as well, so I bough just the wide angle adapters. For
some filter sizes the wide adapters cost more, but for others they are pretty much
the same price. Case in point, the 82mm to fit the 24-70 F/2.8 L II, B&H shows
them both at the same price.

--Evan

Thanks for that Evan, that was how i looked at it as well!
i will be getting the wide angle adapter.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,533 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2014 09:12 |  #6

nathan549 wrote in post #16769398 (external link)
I'm getting the wide angle hood because again of versatility. i would most likely shoot between the 24-70 range but want the ability to go sub 24mm without vignetting so the wide hood was the choice. I'm just not sure how the adapters differ thats why i was asking is there any reason why you wouldn't get a wide angle adapter for a normal lens. if the only difference is how the adapter sits on the lens then i will buy the wide angle adapter.

Understood; yes, it's the way the adapter mounts to the front of the lens and you'd need it to go wide as well.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

964 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee Filters Question!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.